Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: femoral oesteotomy  (Read 2457 times)

Offline vanita

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
femoral oesteotomy
« on: September 16, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »
I am considering whether to have knee surgery which involves a femoral oesteotomy to correct a long term problem i have had with an unstable patella. I would love to talk to anyone who has experienced such surgery.  I am terrified of the thought of havig this operationbut am worried that if i dont then the problem will only get worse. 
Knee problems since child
Knocked kneed
Maltracking patellla
Chondromalacia
Lateral release 3 years ago

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
Re: femoral oesteotomy
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 05:28:45 PM »
Hello Vanita,

Welcome to the KG site. Sorrry you have had to find your way here. My name is Kat. I am 42 and had the femoral osteotomy 2 years ago in June. The surgery is hard, but like anything you do recover. The first few days are the worse. I am knockkneed and have no lateral meniscus on the left leg. I had walked for so long like this I am stage IV bone on bone and had a 30 degree valgus angle of the tibia and fibula. My medial cartilage was still in good shape so I was a good candidate to "offload the weight to the unaffected compartment" I am considered active for my age and am the parent of 2 boys. At the time of my surgery Reece was 3 and Cam was 12. I had my operation in another city and had to stay with my mom for 3 weeks. ::) I was greatful for the help but ready to go home. I went home at 3 weeks and still had alot of help at first. I was NWB for 4 months. I started on a cane in September and was done in Nov. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days and did not have an agressive PT course. I have a post op thread and am available to answer and questions and help any way I can.

Hugs and look forward to hearing from you,

Kat in Texas
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline vanita

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »
Hi Kat,

Fantastic to hear from you. I am new to the site so am not quite nervous of working it out. It seems like you have been through alot. Are you back to your normal activity level yet.  I too am in my 40's - ever since i can remember, my right knee has regularly given way leading me to  fall over, this has become more embarrassing as i have got older. Although sometimes i have done it dancing after a few drinks it can also happen just coming down stairs. As i've gotton older i think my knocked knees have got worse. I had a lateral release a few years ago but this did not work. Since then  i have been reffered to an orthopaedic hospital and the surgeon i am under  specializes  in knee surgery .  My biggest fear is how will i cope? Also the pain, especially the thought of having a wedge of bone taken from the iliac crest makes me feel ill. My kids are teenagers so they can be failry self caring. At the moment i am able to swim and i go to the gym, i can walk fairly long distances, i am worried that the surgery may not enable to get back to the level of activity i am used to.
Knee problems since child
Knocked kneed
Maltracking patellla
Chondromalacia
Lateral release 3 years ago

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »
Well Vanita you ask a good question,

"Am I back to my old self?" not sure how to answer that. I had walked on my leg for so long I never realized how bad it was. I did take on the challege of going to school to be a surgical tech and my OS said" You can do this" so I went for it. I have just finished my part-time clinical and will be starting full cilinical in Oct. I am able to stand in the OR. If that is what you are asking. Does it get sore yes it does, but is it unbearable no not for me. I have always wanted to work in medical and the time off allowed me to evaluate my life. With hard work you can achieve anything, it just may be different. When I am tired my freinds notice a shift in my gait pattern. I did not have enough PT because of money problems, but I have done great.

Kat in Texas
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 11:01:14 PM »
Hey Vanita,
I'm scheduled for a femoral osteotomy in Oct. I'm not knocked kneed but have torsion issues so my femur will be rotated. When might you be having your procedure done?

katmomx2,
I'm traveling for my surgery and was told I could fly back home 4 days post op. Do you think that's a reasonable thing to do?
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 01:40:42 AM »
Hello Cat,

If your surgeon told you it was ok then go for it. For me I was on the blood thinners and in a knee imobilizer. I do not think I could have flown. My parents is about 1 1/2 hours away so a freind drove me home at 3 weeks. Your date is coming soon I am thinking about you.

Kat in Texas
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Hello Kansas Cat,

I did not use a CPM post-op but each Dr. has their own protocol. Yes 4 months NWB. I was allowed toe-touch. Are you going to have some help when you get home?? I know I was greatful for the help.

Hugs Kat in Texas
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 07:12:44 PM »
Thankfully, yes I will have help. My mom is coming to make sure the four legged and two legged beasts are under control and fed and watered. I remember how tough it was with just the TTT and I was allowed partial weight bearing. This time I will have both the TTT stuff and the femoral osteotomy and absolutely no weight bearing. It would be hard to bake a turkey under those circumstances. :)

So you were allowed to toe touch right away? That would be nice.

Did you purchase anything in particular that you found helpful with the recovery stage?

BTW, the CPM is not for the osteotomy but for the TTT undo. But after a 5 hr trip home I wonder if I'll have any ROM left. :-\

Thanx for the help and positive thoughts,
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 08:19:47 PM »
Hello!

I am a year post-op from having two femoral ostetomies. Let me tell you it was the BEST thing I could have done!!! It feels like it takes forever to see results but it is worth it. I have returned to almost all my pre-op activies with little to no trouble. my advice is to take care of yourself and make sure to keep up with the PT the more dedicated you are to it the faster you will recover. ALSO try to get as STRONG as you can BEFORE the surgery. THe more muscle you have going in makes it easier post-op. My left side was WAY easier then my Right side because I had MORE strength going into the second surgery then I did the first. (I did the right first then the left)

Also make sure you have help at home. My mom took care of me while I was recovering.

I just saw my OS yesterday and he was very pleased with the results of the surgery.

I had my second osteteomy last december and I was back to conducting my orchestra at 3 weeks post-op. and at a week post-op I went to a rock concert (not the smartest thing to do but I still had alot of fun!! but I don't recommend it) and I was driving again at 6 weeks.

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »
Hello Cat,

Yes I did toe touch from the beginning but did not put any weight on it. It was more to keep a normal gait pattern for me.  I would have a shower chair and I had the raised pottty. I had mine in the summer so short were my wardrobe. That helped. When are you scheduled for??

Daisygirl2, nice to hear you are doing so well.

Kat in Texas
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 12:16:35 AM »
Hey Texas Kat and daisygirl ;D
I have a surgery date of Oct 18. I so wish this was a summer procedure. I'd rather do the immoblizer thing in shorts.

Daisygirl, way to go, girl! Just what I want to hear. ;D  But why did it take so long for you to be able to drive? Kat, how long before you were cruising?

Vanita, where did you go? Did we scare you off?

;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 01:09:10 AM »
Hello Cat,

I was driving at 6 weeks when I did drive with the imbobilizer.  I was a rather determined post-op patient. I would go to the grocery store on crutches and pull and crutch thru the store. I put all the items in a laundry basket at the house and moved them 1 by one up the stairs. I took the kids to the lake and I swam with them  on crutches.

Hello Vanita, please check in.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 02:51:54 AM »
Hey it took me so long to drive because i drive a manual transmission car! And also mom wouldn't let me drive until I got the ok from the surgeon!! and he didn't see me until 6 weeks post-op

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »
Hey ladies,
So 6 weeks for the both of you? I was hoping for a bit of freedom sooner. I do like a caramel frapp now and then and Starbucks has a drive thru.

Kat,
I would go to the grocery store on crutches and pull and crutch thru the store.
You must be one tough gal. How soon were you pulling that stunt?[/color][/b]

And another question, now that presumably the bones are healed, do either of you still have pain from where they were cut?

Daisygirl,
did you develop any IT band problems after the osteotomy? I was told that might be something to look forward to. :-\

oops, got negligent and one of the 4 legged beast shredded a stick she snuck in. Clean up time.
 ;D cat ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
Screw removal- 5/24/05

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »
ohh yeah going to the gorcery store was fun! mom took me all the time for an outing! hee hee it was neat she would set me up in the cafe with a cup of coffee and a piece of cake and do the shopping then come back and join me. (our favorite stores have cafes in them...gotta love Whole Foods!) It was like being a kid again!

I do still have pain where the bones were cut. ESPECIALLIY when the weather changes. I can feel a storm brewing in my femurs!  ::)
its annoying but over all not that bad. And I still have my good days and bad days. Even though I'm walking much better now I still have the days where i look like Frankenstien's monster! But my PT told me that I would get stiff and the limp would come out when I'm tired or if I over do it at the gym.

I did not have IT band problems. Partly due to the fact that I'm so flexible I rate off the scale! I didn't have to do any streching exercises since my ROM POST op will still double that of normal people. SO my PT was hoping by not doing them we can tighten up my joints a bit. It worked for the 6 weeks I was on crutches but the minute I started working out again...I was back to my old rubber band self!

INSTEAD of IT band problems I got a WICKED Bursitis!! the One on the right went away in time. But the Left one is still here. Been having BAD trouble with it since Feburary and here it is stepember and its still just as bad as it was in FEB! PT failed, heat failed and Anti-inflammtories failed. So I'm getting a cortizone shot in 2 weeks to see if that helps. MY issue is this bursits formed around one of the pins.... not cool.  >:(

My first operation was in the summer so I figured out how to do alot of cool stuff on crutches like pick blueberries! AFter my SECOND ostetomy my sister commented that I have been on crutches for FAR to long. I asked her what did she mean and she responded...that I managed to storm away completely angry on crutches! haha they became and extension of my personality! and at one of my visits all the people and the docs at the hospital were staring at me as I apparently power crutched through the X-ray department. Hey I had to keep up with my speed walking family SOMEHOW!!

How long you gonna be in the hospital for? I was SUPPOSED to be in there for 4 days but I didn't WANT to be ther eso they threw me out after a day!  ;D My OS cleared me to leave the NEXT day but PT took a little longer to convince.