Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Revision ACL rehab -- Pain during knee dips, lunges, uphill  (Read 2155 times)

Offline kishorebudha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Revision ACL rehab -- Pain during knee dips, lunges, uphill
« on: September 16, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
I had a revision ACL surgery on my right knee April 2007 (the first ACL reconstruction took place in 1995). After my first ACL reconstruction, I did not bother to undergo phsiotherapy and ended up stretching the ligament (or the first surgery was a bad job). However, since 1995 I have been using my left leg for most load bearing such as squats.

This time around I am taking no chances. The rehab has been going on fine and I feel really good. However, I am facing an acute problem with knee dips. I can't get my knee to cross over the second toe or place pressure on my heel while climbing up the stairs or bend the knee fully while getting down the stairs. If I try crossing the knee over the second toe, I feel a shooting pain in the area below and side of the knee cap (outward area).

A similar problem is faced while climbing a steep slope or doing lunges.

After the pain if I cycle, the pain goes away till I try the knee dip again.

My surgeon said there was some degeneration of the knee in that area. My physio does not seem to have a clue and is not much of a help.

Does somebody face a similar situation and how have they overcome it. Any reply would be welcome please!!!

Offline Aff

• Regular Poster
Re: Revision ACL rehab -- Pain during knee dips, lunges, uphill
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »
i have this pain in my right knee after being treated on my left (non surgery so bear this in kind).

after leaving it to calm down for a few days we progressed with load bearing stuff which my physio has told me to continue 'to just before the point of pain'.

it seems to have helped a little.  such a slow process it's difficult to say.

but please bear in mind i;m only going from my experience.  best to ask a professional.

Offline kishorebudha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Revision ACL rehab -- Pain during knee dips, lunges, uphill
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »
today i made some progress. there is a little spot that pains -- while doing knee dips and while climbing uphill or upstairs. a good five minutes of cycling followed by knee dips with support with teh other leg. There is pain in the beginning, but as i persist, the pain starts to recede and i have been able to cross knee over second toe. I felt really happy.

support