Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Experience with OBI TruFit Plug for OCD Lesion  (Read 6790 times)

Offline zollie32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Experience with OBI TruFit Plug for OCD Lesion
« on: September 11, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »
Hi all.  Thought I would post my experience with using OBI Tru Fit plugs to repair an OCD lesion.  I am a 32 yr old male and had surgery on 8/24/07 to repair an OCD lesion (1.4 cm x 1.6 cm) on the medial femoral condyle.  The hole was filled with 2 plugs.  Per OS, I was on crutches (PWB) for 1 week and started PT 5 days after surgery.  Am now able to walk normally, though still require hand-rail assistance up and down stairs.  So far, so good.  No running or jogging for 3 months.  Will try to post future updates on progress.

Offline kidott

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Experience with OBI TruFit Plug for OCD Lesion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:36:27 AM »
I'm a 35 year old male. You're having better luck than I've had.  I had a 10mm lesion on the weight bearing protion of my knee.  I was on crutches for 6 weeks NWB to let the plug set in.  I'm 5 months post op now and still have some pain in my knee all the time, more when I walk, and even more (feels like grinding) when I go up or down steps.  I can't squat or kneel on it either due to a sharp pain where the plug is.  My knee still pops alot too and swells my knee and calf when I'm on my feet for any significant amount of time, then it really hurts. The doctor told me it's probably about the best it's going to get, but I've seen posts on here from people 9 months out that their doctors are telling them it may be another 6 or so months to fully heal.  I haven't found much information on results from the plug except on this site and it seems to work well for some and not for others.  I've still got my fingers crossed that it will heal up and let me be normal again.

My advise is not to push it.  I think I tried to do too much too soon.   

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 11:06:52 PM »
I also had a terrible experience with the plugs. They flaked out of the defect and I had more trouble that when I began. I ended up having a traditional OATS and faired much better.
Best of luck

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline SkibootDr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 06:25:54 PM »
I am a 30 y/o competive cyclist and skier who had a 11mm defect in a partial wb area of my medial condyle replace april 17,2007.  I was NWB for 8 weeks, had heme effusion of 20cc 2 weeks post op, otherwise normal course.  I am nearly 6 months and still have lots of pain which is sharp.  I have been in physio for awhile but had to stop for 9weeks for work and i just started again.  On plain film my graft looks healed.  My doc says it is still early for these, but may rec a scope in the next few months to check it and clean out any scar tissue from the original procedure.  He mentioned that sometimes it is the surrounding scar tissue, not the actual graft.  I am trying to stay positive but am getting nervous.  I am a medical resident and would not have time for another 3 years to have a redo.  Only good thing is that i am back on my bike but the snow on Mt. Hood may go untracked by me this year.  :-[
Tim
"Knowledge is experience, the rest is just information"

Offline zollie32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:31:16 PM »
I am now about 7 months out from the surgery (see OP) and so far so good.  OS says lesions are filling in nicely.  Overall, the knee feels great.  Was able to ski this winter without any problems.  SOme minor swelling from time to time, but nothing major.  Started jogging again in December, but have intentionally taken things slow in that department.  Should be competing in tri's again by June or so.

Offline EROK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »
I thought that the OBI Plugs were recalled and are no longer allowed to be used?

Offline zollie32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »
Am now about 1 year after surgery and wanted to report back on my success with the plugs.  Very happy with the results and am pretty much back to normal at this point.  Just finished a race last weekend with a 4-mile run and the knee felt great.  Just wanted to pass along for others considering similar procedures, etc.

Offline tc1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:01:53 AM »
That is great that you can run after the Trufit plug procedure. Any swelling or soreness? I had two Trufit plugs "installed" to repair OCD in the trochlear area where I had previously had ACI.  Procedure went fine and felt good for 4-6 months.  Could not do much that involved running or jumping without a lot of swelling though.  Slowly deteriorated though. Got scoped two years later and had grade IV defect in that area.

TC
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:56:35 AM by taic »

support