Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Would like to hear from other AF patients that have seen Dr. Shelbourne  (Read 14245 times)

Offline svanzant

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Anyone on here a patient of Dr. Shelbourne?  I am just wanting to know if you are pleased with the care that you have got from him.  Right now I am in the hospital and I can already tell that my OS doesnt know what else to do to help me so I am trying to get him to either consult with Dr Shelbourne or talk to my insurance so I can go up there and see him.  Any advice you can give me is much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Stacey
Feb 06- menicus repair
Feb 07 lateral release and LOA- ext loss >10 flex loss >20
May 07 MUA/LOA/casting to full ext, flex loss >20
July 07 MUA
Aug 07 OS decides he cant help anymore
Sept 07 hospital 6 days after positive bone scan
Feb 08 MUA LR LOA
Aug 08 LOA, MUA, LR
July 09 Appt with Noyes

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: Would like to hear from other AF patients that have seen Dr. Shelbourne
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 01:27:24 AM »
Hi,

I am a big Shelbourne fan.  He operated on my about two years ago now and really changed the quality of my life.  He saw things that many other "well reputed" surgeons had no clue about.  He gives you tips on rehab and you work closely w/ his in-house rehab department. 

For arthrofibrosis and ACL's, I can't think of any other surgeon I would want operating on me.  THis is from someone who has had a total of twelve surgeries and multipe complications from arthrofibrosis.

Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline IndyCelt

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »
Ditto what Nick said.  Dr. Shelbourne gave me my life back.  Go see him for a consult as his knowedge and experience dealing with AF is top notch. 
2-1-2005 Exise of bipartite patella
2-21 and 2-23 clean out for Strep infection
10/3/05 Scar tissue resection

Offline pak

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:25 PM »
I am extremely happy with the results from Dr. S.

I am only two months out after a summer AF surgery (Dr. Shelbourne) and everything he said would happen, has.  For the first time, I can maintain/regain extension and I am gradually getting back my flexion.  I travelled three hours to see him and continue to do so for PT consults.
scope '97
scope '03
microfracture '04
scope '06
HTO/allograft '06
scar tissue scope '06
scar tissue scope '07
scar tissue scope, torn meniscus, bone spurs '11
scar tissue scope, torn meniscus, bone spurs, bone bruise '12

Offline mee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:31:44 PM »
I am extremely grateful to Dr. Shelbourne for restoring my extension.  I was only off by a few degrees, but what a world of difference!!!  I am not back to my pre-injury activiites, but that's been due to a number of other injuries I've struggled with as my body accomodates back to having a fully straightening leg.  It wasn't straight for almost six years, so I'm trying to be patient with this recovery.  My knee is not perfect - the soft tissue and patella tendon tend to get irritated pretty easily, though that could still be a lack of muscle strength.

My original OS is a highlly regarded doc - ACL researcher, sports team doc, blah, blah, blah, BUT either didn't know enough about arthrofibrosis or just dropped the ball on me.   He told me that there was nothing more that could be done for me surgically - that was in 2000.  I lived with an arthrofibrotic knee for five years before I found this board and decided to see Shelbourne ( I was willing to consult with Noyes and Steadman, too).  Luckily, Shelbourne is a three hour drive for me, so I didn't have to make that tough financial decision.  In retrospect, though, the cost of a leg that functions normally?  Priceless.

Dec 1999  RKnee - ACL tear while running on treadmill-weird, I know!
Jan. 2000  RK ACL Recon
July 2000   RAnkle peroneal tendon repair (decade-old injury)
April 2001  RK scar debride
Sept 2005 RKnee debride & fat pad removal
July 2006 RKnee - full ROM, rehabbing sloooowly

Offline screetch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 01:52:29 AM »
Am currently a patient of Dr. Shelbourne's.. more specifically, a patient of his PT Scott.  Shelbourne didn't operate on me -- thankfully he didn't see the need -- but he's been treating me since January, following two previous knee surgeries (one that brought on the arthro and one to correct it). When I started seeing him I had full ROM but was still dealing with pain, heat, and swelling, 9 months post-LOA/MUA. Local OS had no answers and had written me off, but after about two weeks of SHelbourne's PT protocol I noticed improvement.... just today, 9 months after my first appointment, I ran a mile (on top of 30 minutes on the stairmaster and elliptical)! I'm not 100% and am still being seen but wow, it's night and day. 

Make that appointment!!!!!!
rt knee scope, 1/91
rt knee scope, LR, and fulkerson, 12/19/05
LOA/MUA 3/14/06

Offline joew

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
Screetch,

What was Shelboourne's PT protocol that put you on the path to recovery?  I'm curious how similar, or different, it may be to Dr. Steadman's.

Joe
7/02: ACL and medial meniscus tear playing basketball
9/02: ACLR; meniscus repair (local OS)
2003-2005: Patella grinding and pain after surgery.
12/05: Scope. Patella and trochlear groove debridement (kissing lesion).  Partial medial meniscectomy. (local OS)
5/07:  LOA/AIR, plica removal (Vail)

Offline screetch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »
Joe- Shelbourne put me on a pretty aggressive PT regimen. Prior to seeing him I was working out 3-4x/wk, but was only given clearance on the stationary bike and treadmill. I was told by my OS (actually, his PA -- by that point my OS had stopped seeing me & I had been dismissed from PT ~5 weeks after my surgery) to take it easy when I felt more pain or had increased swelling/heat. I was also receiving cortisone shots every 3 months or so.  After running some tests on me, Shelbourne said my problem was that my knee/leg was simply too weak. I was put on a PT plan of 30-60 minutes of aerobic activity 3-5x/wk (preferably stairmaster & no treadmill until I gained significant strength) plus leg press (and eventually leg extensions). I was told to work it as hard as I could, that "pain" wasn't necessarily bad -- I just needed to differentiate true pain from exerted muscle pain.  He also refused to give me any cortisone shots -- said it was only adding to my problems. But remember, by the time I went to him, scar tissue wasn't any issue with me anymore -- I'd had my full ROM a month or so after my last surgery and I wasn't losing it (and over time it became easier to achieve). I just wasn't healing properly.

What's Steadman's protocol?

rt knee scope, 1/91
LOA/MUA 3/14/06

Offline joew

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 05:56:19 AM »
Screetch,

Steadman's protocol is very conservative.  Since each person is different, there is no set in stone PT recovery that fits everyone.  First six weeks is bike with no resistance (longer if full ROM is not yet attained or if when adding resistance after six weeks your knee becomes inflamed).  Also, patella mobes several times a day, wall slides 3-4 times per day, heel slides, and SLRs for 10 weeks.  Also after six weeks, treadmill is started at 7% incline and gradually increased to 12%.  Again, this is delayed if the knee becomes inflamed or if it is not ready for strengthening at six weeks post op.  Elipical trainer, rowing, and stair machine can be added after 2-3 months, leg press at about 10 weeks (1/3 standing squats are started at week 5).  There are other things like stretching adn other strengthening that I won't go into detail on.   

In my case, I am almost 4 months post-op and couldn't take resistance on the bike until about 3 weeks ago and started on the treadmill at 4% incline (per Steadman's PT for my case) about 2 weeks ago.  I tried the treadmill and resistance on the bike at about 7 weeks post-op, but it just aggrevated my knee and I backed off per Steadman and his PT.

Joe 

Joe
12/05: Scope. Patella and trochlear groove debridement (kissing lesion).  Partial medial meniscectomy. (local OS)

Offline screetch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:51:33 PM »
Joe -- my LOA/MUA post-op recovery was similar to that. Much of what I did was not under full direction of my then-OS & PT, but rather based on info I'd found here -- I was a little more conservative than what my PT wanted me to do. I was scared to death of overworking my knee and risking scar tissue return -- too many stories on these boards! Whatever I did worked as far as getting my ROM back, but without good direction beyond that, I was stuck in limbo where I wasn't getting better or worse. I had no idea if I was past the point of worrying about the return of scar tissue. Thankfully Shelbourne got me on a track that seems to be working.
rt knee scope, 1/91
LOA/MUA 3/14/06

Offline joew

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 05:31:15 AM »
Screetch,

I assume you had no cartilage damage in the patellafemoral joint if Shelbourne's PT told you to eventually do leg extensions?  Also, do you know the reasoning they told you to hold off on the treadmill and do stairmaster instead to gain strength? 

Joe

Offline svanzant

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »
Well, after somewhat of a rollercoaster ride with my current OS first deciding that I needed another scope to clean out the adhesions then 2 days later that same OS deciding that he didnt know what to do to help me, telling me that my knee would not ever be right again, and once again dropping the ball on me I finally decided to call and make the appt. with Shelbourne.  What a relief it was to finally hear someone of the other end of the phone that actually understood what I was talking about and had compassion!!  After months of calling every ortho clinic in Memphis and the surrounding areas and explaining my problem, and my history only to have them say "you've seen 3 of the best OS, and we dont think we can offer you anything else" to hear someone actually say "we can fix your knee" was the most wonderful thing I think I could ever hear!!  My appt with Shelbourne is on the 25th and I am so anxious to get up there and see what he has to say!  I am also supposed to see Brian too.  From what she told me, I will be there awhile...she actually said "this will probably be the longest doctors visit you ever have".  What should I expect on the first visit??

Thanks!
Stacey
Feb 06- menicus repair
July 07 MUA
Feb 08 MUA LR LOA
Aug 08 LOA, MUA, LR
July 09 Appt with Noyes

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 02:50:39 AM »
Hey Stacey,

YOu will start w/ Brian, the athletic trainer.  He is very good.  (you can tell him NIck from NYC says hi to break the ice). 

1) he will measure your range of motion

2) He will measure your leg strength on a Cybex machine and on a leg press, both of which are hooked up to a computer that compares each leg's strength and compares them. 

Then he will give these results to Shelbourne.

3) Next,  If you don't have adequate X-rays, they will take them.  From these, they will tell you if you have any significant joint space narrowing (arthritis), malalignment and inevitably you will have osteopenia from favoring the other leg.  Ha, HA.  Everyone gets a diagnosis of osteoporosis there.

4) Finally, you meet the master.  He'll tell you what he thinks.

5) Finally Finally, you remeet up w/ Brian who will give you exercises and a plan of action. They will do everything they can to get you to avoid surgery, which is pretty impressive considering most surgeons can't wait to cut you.

Best of Luck,

Nick
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline pak

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »
Longest doctor visit ever... definitely, but worth it.  I saw his PT person, his PA, an intern and, or course, Dr. Shelbourne.  After I was called back, it was nearly 2 hours.  Part of that is because Dr. Shelbourne was in no rush and answered every qustion I had, while also explaining things thoroughly.
scope '97
scope '03
microfracture '04
scope '06
HTO/allograft '06
scar tissue scope '06
scar tissue scope '07
scar tissue scope, torn meniscus, bone spurs '11
scar tissue scope, torn meniscus, bone spurs, bone bruise '12

Offline svanzant

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 11:18:33 PM »
Well, I am back from Indy and from my first visit with Shelbourne and Brian.  I really want to tell you all how much I appreciate all of the encouagement and recommendations for Shelbourne!  I have'nt been this optimistic about my AF in a long, long time!  I was soooo nervous going into this visit because I was so afraid that he would tell me that there wasnt anything he could do to help me (guess im just used to that response), but from the moment I walked into the office I had a real sense of calm about me.  After I met with his PA, and had some x-rays I finally met with "the man"!!  Shelbourne, Brian, and Urch all came in together and talked with me for about 45 minutes (in terms that I totally understood after doing all this AF research), then Brian stayed in there and we started going over our game plan.  He was in there for about 2 hours showing me extension exercises, the elite seat and the cryo cuff.  As everything stands right now I am working on my extension, working on walking the correct way (heel to toe), and trying to control my pain and swelling with the cryo cuff.  The most wonderful thing about the whole visit was that there was no mention of surgery...only Shelbourne saying that people jump on the surgery bandwagon way too fast and that is not the answer for AF patients.  I was so relieved to hear that he didnt want to operate on me right now!  I know that if I dont succeed in getting my full ROM back with the therapy protocol then thats when the surgery option will be brought up, but I am hoping that I wont have to go that route!!

Again thanks for all the positive words about Shelbourne and his staff...they are top notch!!!!!
Feb 06- menicus repair
July 07 MUA
Feb 08 MUA LR LOA
Aug 08 LOA, MUA, LR
July 09 Appt with Noyes