Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any words of wisdom regarding how to decide whether to have/not have ACL surgery  (Read 709 times)

Offline surf13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Aloha,
I completely tore my ACL and partially tore my MCL while surfing 3 months ago.  I have been doing physical therapy for 1 month, 2 times a week.  I met with my Dr. twice since the injury and both times he has told me the same thing: That usually he advises patients one way or another whether he thinks they should/should not have surgery, but he says that I could go either way-- that I've got one of those "50/50" situations. I am a very active person. I do yoga and surf daily, and do lots of hiking/walking. I would like to continue to do all of these things. I am 35 and in very good health. After one month of rehab, my leg now has full ROM and almost full extension. It still feels a little unstable at times but overall, feels pretty normal. I am having trouble deciding whether or not to have the surgery. I surfed the other day (gentle waves) for the first time and my knee felt good. While I don't want to make a decision prematurely, I also do not want to wait too long and/or reinjure the knee, possibly tearing cartilage, etc. Any thoughts? Have any of you NOT gotten surgery or know someone who was able to still be VERY active and not do further damage without the surgery? Is it too risky to wait? I appeciate any thoughts/advice in advance. Aloha.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 208
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Hi

Whilst you have you see your Doctor twice, I dont think that is the final solution. 

For peace of mind, you should make a point of seeing an Orthopaedic Consultant who will arrange for X-rays if required.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Hi Aloha ~ I put together a fairly lengthy response to your question & somehow it disappeared into cyberspace. So I'll try to sum up what I said.

I'm a senior who owns a horse, works with horses & walks 3 big & rambunctious dogs at a time on a daily basis. I'm an active person for my age but ACL reconstruction isn't within the scheme of things because of my age. I think the responses you get will be similar to mine...you leave yourself open to greater knee injury by participating in a sport w/o an ACL.

My life revolves around caring for my knee which means I rarely do anything w/o thinking about it. "Will this or that cause further injury?" It annoys me that I feel I have to do this. You're a whole lot younger than I am & my thought is to deal with the knee & get on with your life w/o making your knee the center of it. Just my feelings in the matter & wishing you well whichever way you go...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

support