Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any ideas for me?  (Read 774 times)

Offline AmandaG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Any ideas for me?
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:19:43 PM »
I am suffering a little at this current time which is why I have decided to try and get some friendly advice, rather than heading straight to a doctor.

For most of my childhood I was quite active.  I ran a lot at High School but slowly phased it out to no exercise at all, as I am sure a lot of you have.  Quite recently I have joined a gym and started running on the treadmill. 

I used to have niggly pain in both my knees after any kind of exercise (walking mainly) when I was at my most lazy but nothing compared to the pain I am feeling now after I have started back at the gym.

When I am running the pain is coupelled with clicking noises/sensations.  I put it down to my inactivity and ran through the pain and noise/sensation.  But after I stopped running and tried to walk up or down any stairs the pain and noise came back, even worse after I had sat down for a while.  Even after I have rested for a bit the pain is still present.

Does anyone have any ideas what this is?  Is it just because I have been so inactive for so long?  Should I get it looked into further?

Please any comments would be greatly received.

P.S.  I am now 30 and stopped running/exercising when I was about 18.

Amanda
x

Offline april

• Regular Poster
Re: Any ideas for me?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »
Hi Amanda,

Could you describe your pain in a little more detail? Is there a particular spot(s) on your knees that hurt, or is it generalized over the entire knee? That may help narrow down what it is.

Since you say that you didn't have a traumatic accident, and it seems to be more of a gradual onset then chronic thing, I am wondering if you have an overuse-type injury, like tendinopathy, patellofemoral pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, chondromalacia patella, etc. That clicking noise may be cartilage getting caught on something, possibly due to maltracking which is a predisposing factor for some of those types of injuries.

Definitely get it looked at by a doctor... hoping it will go away on it's own isn't the way to go. Tons of people do exercise without properly working up to it or thinking about it, you may not have done anything any different, it just so happens they got away with it and you didn't...  there's no point beating yourself up over the lack of previous activity causing this.

Offline AmandaG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:19:32 PM »
Thanks for that.  I had researched chrondomalcia as that seemed to be the closest match of symptoms to mine.  The pain is a the front of my knees and under the knee cap when exercising but when I am sitting it is at the top of my knee cap......not sure if that makes any difference.

I will get my doctor to check it out though.

Thx
Amanda

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:59:02 AM »
Hi AmandaG,
I agree with april, do see a doctor and get it checked out, If nothing else itll put your mind at rest, and if there is something that needs to be addressed its best to get it addressed early.
As for giving up exercise at 18 or so - I couldnt have been happier when I got a car and no longer had to use my legs to get around :) Then I got a desk job. My idea of exercise was 20 mins on an exercise bike when the mood struck - so youre not alone!!!
tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 02:03:13 PM »
Hi Amanda,
Running is probably not the best exercise for you after such a long period of inactivity. It should be something you work up to gradually, as you build up strength in your legs. I agree with April, I think the clicking and pain could be an overuse injury. Your quads may not be strong enough to support your overstressed knees. Let us know how you make out with the OS.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.