Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A.C.I For Gibbon :)  (Read 23735 times)

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: A.C.I For Gibbon :)
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
Hi Guys,

Haven't been on here for a while - Gibbon, how did the scope go?

I just had my one-year scope: haven't had the follow-up consultation with Tim yet, but he did pop his head around the door after surgery. Apparently, the knee looks great and the graft looks "fantastic". Great result!

I have to admit, the knee doesn't feel that amazing. Maybe it's because of the lack of muscle: I find my thigh rotates in quite a bit, which is a little uncomfortable. I'll get working on those glutes... Other than this, though, everything structural looks fine. I should start gentle jogging and skipping soon, on top of the cycling I already do.

For all those still going through this: there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is worth it!

All the best,

Charles

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:26 PM »
Just back from my consultation with my surgeon. Have seen the photos of the graft - looks perfect. You can't really tell that anything happened! I am so relieved. Am just past the 12-month mark and am to continue working the quads on a cycle (I've not really been doing my exercises - very bad) until the 15-month mark and then should be able to start running again.

Hope everybody is doing well - I guess this is a sign that MACI can work.

Happy Christmas, everybody!

All the best.

Charles

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
excellent news on the progres.

Out of interest did the surgeon mention any furture cartlidge advacements, its just I have heard a lot about the use of stem cells being used in 3D scaffolding, from looking at the first ACI produres there seems to be an advancement every 5 years or so and with MACI noe appraching that time line and maybe passing it Iam just wondering if any new produres are in the pipeline.

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2008, 08:51:27 AM »
Howdy all. Sorry i have not been on here. When ever i tried to load the boards the page would just come up blank. I thought the boards were down, but obviously not haha. Anyway......the scope went well in that i was in and out in a day. The results are........well I have no idea what the actual results are. Mr. Briggs was a brief as ever after the scope....walked in....said It looks good....and walked out again lol. And then numpty here forgot about the appointment 2 weeks ago to see him about the results so we will all have to wait until Jan 08th ........... FLIP!!!

On a personal note, the knee feels great, the leg great, the strength great, static contraction not so great. Its hard to isolate muscles in my leg and contract them singularly rather than the whole quad like i can in my good leg. Im sure this will come, but god damn its annoying. Im skipping, cycling and playing tennis. Granted im at the base line having balls fed to me rather than running around like a mad man like i used to but still......I can gently run to a ball stop gently and hit it without any pain.....HAHAHAAHAH     ANY PAIN AHAHAHA  i cant believe it.

To answer your question TheVoice. I do hear about things in the pipeline with respect to a Key Hole version of ACI using the same cells but soaked in a mesh like structure and put into the lesion. There is also Menaflex used to grow back missing meniscus and im sure Mr. Briggs is working on something else for missing Meniscus and OA, however i have yet to plug him for info.

I hope others are good and enjoying the festive season.....bring on the Turkey hhmmmm

G

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
Well ladies and gents. I went to see my lovely OS regarding the results of the year long procedure. And i personally saw the picture. Jesus i thought.......i could only barely see the join line of the defect and the good stuff. The lesions had completely filled in and looked like brand new cartilege. Even the "good" stuff looked worse lol. And to top it off, the small biopsy taken at the year post op surgery showed amazing hayline type properties indicative of normal.

So yeah.......I am a happy chappy. Ill post another thread just sumarizing the year and the results. My advise to people.....do it......  :P

G

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »
Man, keep the success stories coming!  Congrats!

Room !01 
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline bb_forrest

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »
Congrats on the progress.

I'm back under the knife in 2 weeks.

The knee is better but from straight to about 15% flex there feels like there is something in the way (and makes great sounds as well!). Obviously it feels the same when I straighten it....

So it's keyhole to take a look and hopefully file something down!

As regarding the success of the operation I am in significantly less pain than I was before the operation so I would term it a success.

Offline bb_forrest

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
And here I am 4 years after the main operation.

Basically I had an overgrowth of the implant, that what was causing the noise etc.

Still get noises from the knee but given that I have no pain whatsoever I basically do whatever I want to.

The only thing I notice is that I have to keep on top of my leg strength in the gym otherwise the muscles get weak quickly.

When I look back on how I was 4 years ago I can only say that this has been a complete success.

I know when you have had the operation it is hard at first as you cannot see progress, accept that it will take time and effort, follow your rehab to the letter and most important of all - "Believe that you are going to get better", there were setbacks with my recovery but I always believed that I would get to this stage.