Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A.C.I For Gibbon :)  (Read 23738 times)

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: A.C.I For Gibbon :)
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 11:46:40 PM »
Hi Guys,

A quick question about post-operative pain:

Had my MACI on the 9th of Nov, so nearly 3 weeks ago. I had virtually no pain post-op, not much pain for the last couple of weeks (apart from some tenderness around the incision whilst doing SLRs and flexion - am at 90 degs already and holding there until i see my OS again, as per protocol), am NWB, and am taking no chances at all i.e. not even bothering with stairs...

Have recently noticed a slight bit of pain around what i would call my defect area. I would say that it felt like a very mild bone bruise, in fact that might even be too stronger way of phrasing it. I'm curios: has anybody else experienced this type of feeling, and if so, what caused it? My initial guess would be that it is simply a) bruising around the transplant area or, b) trapped fluid in the knee (my knee has virtually returned to normal shape @ wk 3, so guess that this is the less likely explanation - although am experiencing some extension lag which has been attributed to fluid...

Any thoughts welcome...

Charles

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 11:37:42 AM »
Hey Charliesc.......i have had the same feeling. It feels like a strange dumb feeling around the inside of the knee (Where the defect was). Im not to worried about it as i have read others have had the same feeling and it passes. I have had a few days of clicking which seems to pass as well. Not sure if this is scar tissue or what, but i all i keep telling myself is that i have not put the graft under any sort of stress so things should be fine..........right?

G

Offline bb_forrest

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 11:50:06 AM »
I got some pain last night/this morning around what feels to be the defect area as well.

Was worrying a little until reading that you had it as well....

I guess it's the bodies way of dealing with what (for the knee joint) is a major trauma.

I think recovery is going to be 2 steps forward  1 step back rather than just going forward.

I have noticed that at different points during the day the first SLR or first knee bend of a set can be difficult whereas the next set they can all be fine.

I think we are so early on in rehab that we just have to trust those experts around us.

All I know is that I am better than I was a week ago, that's the timeframe I'm going to try to keep a perspective over.

Keep me posted.

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
Hey everyone,
I'm glad that you guys posted about your pain  I'm not got glad that you are having pain, but it makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one with pain.  I get kinda intense pain (kinda sharp but yet not sharp and yet it makes me not want to move) sometimes when I start the first one or two SLR's.  I also get it sometimes when I first get out of the cpm machine.  Today, I had it in PT when the PT went to first bend my knee and then around 20-30 degrees it was gone. My pain feels like it is right around my incision and not on the cell site, but my PT thinks that it is in relation to the cell site and that the pain is just transferring up to around my incision.  Today, I had to take a break from SLR's at therapy because the knee felt pretty sore.  Are you continuing to do SLR's if you have pain?  What about other therapy excercies?
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline bb_forrest

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 10:50:12 PM »
Hi everyone.

Well, been back to Physio and am allowed to do partial weight bearing although I'd say that I'm just about putting the foot on the floor.

Leg brace now set to 90 degrees and I can get to about 80-85 degrees.

Started very easy stuff to start building muscles up. SLR, knee bends on bed, towel under knee and straighten leg.

Going back home on Friday now I can sit down.

Back to physio next week.

Hope everyones recovery is going well.

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »
Hi everybody,

Also back from the Physio today. At nearly 4 weeks post op, I have ~110 degs flexion (although I'm refraining from pushing to this and hold at 90 degs as per OS instructions), can do unlimited SLRs in 4 directions (moving left to right included - trying to help some of the surrounding muscles), have 0 extension lag and virtually no swelling. Am a happy boy! I hope everybody else is getting on well. 

If anybody needs some inspiration, there are a couple of old articles on page 13/ 14 of this forum about two people: one @ 1 year and and one @ 19 months with very positive reports. Made me feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes, I find there are so many negative reports on this forum that I start to feel a bit fed up. Not sure if it's because this procedure is c$%p or because people with positive outcome rarely write on this forum. Hope it's the latter.

Gibbon - how are you getting on? When can we start walking..? And are you using a cycling maching @ 0 resistance yet?

Charles

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
Hey Charles and bb.....glad things are going well. Its 5 weeks post up this week for me and its been abit of a tough week. Yesterday, when doing my SLR's and ROM excerses there was qutie abit of clicking round where the graph site is. Of course i was abit freaked about this.......but then today......the knee feels as good as new....literally. God knows what is going on in there but today i am a happy boy. Just over 1 week till the mile stone 6 week mark. Hopefully ill be able to do some light bike work this sat at the physio. Ill keep people posted :D

G

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 12:20:47 AM »
Hi Guys,

At the 5.5 week stage and feeling quite content. Have 135 degs flexion with no pain, am riding a very low resistance indoor bike with few problems and start weight bearing on the 21st Dec - only a few more weeks of crutches left. Had a strange clicking noise on first riding the bike, but this has cleared up. The bike also helped get rid of a strange catching feeling. Quads have stopped shrinking and are feeling much better. Some tenderness around the front of the patella, but is clearing up with use of the bike.

As for weight bearing - having had my ACL done, i plan to use TWO crutches at all times whilst getting used to weight bearing. I went straight to weight bearing after ACL repair and it took ages for my gait to return to normal. In fact, i had to teach my muscles how to walk again using two crutches - they forget the pattern in which they are supposed to switch on (to catch the weight of your leg and body whilst walking), hence the abnormal gait. I think that in the long term, although inconvenient, the use of two crutches for 1.5-2 weeks is better than going to one crutch too quickly. Discuss?

Gibbon... How is PWB? Any tips?

Wishing you all a comfortable (!) Christmas.

Charles

Offline bb_forrest

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 12:36:44 AM »
I'm changing physios to one nearer to where I live than the hospital.

They were supposed to fax my notes over on Thursday, up to now they have not done so.

I'm still doing my exercises, can now hit 90 degrees on knee bend (last 2 days) and swelling is going from the outside of the knee although the inside is still very swollen - this is the side where the incision went in so I'm expecting that it is still healing.

I'm partial weight bearing but to be honest I keep as little weight as possible on it although I am putting more on than a week ago.

My major achievement is figuring out how to have a bath and a shower (knew the cricket pad leg brace would come in handy).

I'm not in a rush to come off the crutches and will use them until after New Year.

Hope everyone has a good time in the coming weeks.

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 04:44:57 PM »
Hey guys n gals. Sorry i have not been on here recently but was away on holiday. Ok so i have found a nice physio close by so i dont have to travel to london all the time. She didnt put me on the bike at 5 weeks as she didnt ahve the protocool from fred but 5.5 weeks i was peddlign away on a literally no reisistance for 10 mins. Other than that i had to do the quads alot to get the last couple of degrees in extention. This obviously helps with the gait and giving of the knee.
The last 2-3 days i have been partially weight bearing on the knee using initially 2 crutches for the same reason as charles states. Then on the 2nd day i went to one. Surprisingly i was able to walk with a reasonable gate. I warn you tho charles. The knee will swell and it will fitigue very very quickly. When this happened i went straight back to NWB. There is a little pain on the inside of my knee but this isnt on the inside. More the ligament area. Probbaby a very weak quad causing it. Other than this the knee feels great. Very smooth and very comfortable. I hahve another physio appointment on sat where i will test how much weight i can put through the leg without pain and get back to you all.

Keep up the good work :D

G

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2007, 01:39:30 PM »
6 week mark --

Have full extension (about -3 degs) and near to full extension (as good as my uninjured leg). Also started walking today - pwb to begin with, though will progress to nwb over the next few days, though tried full weight bearing (physio said that was ok to try it) and seemed to go well, if a little slow.

So, all good, apart from a mild case of patella tendinitis - most irritating, because am not allowed to take the recommended treatment of anti-inflammatory drugs.

Merry Christmas to all.

Offline gary55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2007, 04:16:26 PM »
Charles

Sounds like your progress is well on target.

Have a great Xmas

Gary

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2007, 01:54:02 AM »
Hey guys..sounds like things are going well Charles. Today i went to see the physio and things have progressed well. I have about 1 degree if that extensor lag, and have about 130 in the bent position. Got to try and work on the bending of the knee now. Was PWB for the past week on one crutch which went well. Today i did NWB for the very first time. Apart from a slight lean towards the crutch side due to being used to putting weight on the good leg things progressed very quickly. I have been told to NWB as much as possible which is all good. There is no pain and feels great. The VMO gets quite tiered easily but this is getting better with every day, so the more i do the better it is. The stationary bike is going well as can be for the resistance i am using.....bout 15 mins today. Still using heat and cold treatments to keep the knee feeling good and flexible.....its just so damn nice to lose the crutches....i actually have got two numb fingers from compressing my palm over the last 7 weeks...hope that comes back lol. Charles....how is the muscle mass looking on your leg?? Have you measured the circumfrence at all over the course of treatment??

G

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 02:19:06 PM »
Hi Gibbon

Sounds like you're doing well.

I started out measuring circumference, then it got too depressing, watching it all disappear. I would say I was down to about 60 - 70% of my left leg, VMO and glutes are gone too. Though, since I've been using the bike, I've noticed some definition return. It's so annoying, I feel like I can do more, but obviously have to wait.

PWB is going well, the funny thing is that my foot hurts more than my knee - got pins and needles after using it for the first time. Have tried NWB very briefly, and went ok. Slow, but ok.

On a separate note, does anybody know if there are restrictions on alcohol intake, following ACI?

C

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007, 02:54:20 PM »
I think you should avoid drinking so much that you fall down & hurt your knee  ;D

Seriously, I can't see any reason drinking would be a problem (although don't take pain meds with your libations).

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

support