Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A.C.I For Gibbon :)  (Read 23736 times)

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
A.C.I For Gibbon :)
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »
Well hi boys and gals......im a newbie to this site but unfortunatly not to knee problems....just to give you abit of a background on why i am here and what is going on. 4 years ago i was playing the manly rough and tumble game of American Football and unfortunatly upon a rather nice hit by 2 of the opposition, i tore my ACL......this however was not diagnosed by our friendly NHS AnE but instead was told all was fine and rest up for 4 weeks. So after 6 weeks back to football i went and well....as we all know...no ACL = knee giving way. Which it did......and sitting down one day at home....it popped out tearing the lateral meniscus. Ok so after having 70% of the laterial meniscus removed....and the ACL repaired using the hamstring as the donar...back to football i went.....for a year. The ACL graft was a success, with PT taking just over 9 months.....but after the year of football,  swellling and pain caused me to visit my doc again.

Here i was told that i had a grade 4 lesion on the lateral fem condile as well as a grade 3 lesion on the medial fem condile.....so here i am....no sports to preserve my knee and about to go for stage 1 of the ACI process on the 28th of sept with Mr Briggs at Bushey Watford Hospital.....the plan is to fix the medial side this time and wait for either a meniscus donor or technology to progress far enough to put lab grown meniscus into the lateral side and do ACI at the same time.

Using this thread i plan to keep people (old and new to this site) an up to date account on what is goign on.....probably to keep me sane more than anything else  ;D   If you have any questions.....tips on how to get through this.....or are in the same boat or have been there yourself....say hi...and lets get through this together :D 

Gibs out

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
Re: A.C.I For Gibbon :)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »
Hi guys and gals....today has been a good day for me. Hardly any pain and with 2 weeks to go until the first stage of the ACI i am feeling quite optimistic. I just wanted to share a link with you all that i found about MAT and ACI combination surgery that was performed. Take a look at it.......quite interesting reading.

http://www.orthopedictechreview.com/issues/mar00/case10.htm

Im sure ill be on here again soon :d

Gibs

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 09:46:59 AM »
Hey ladies and gents. Well this is the week. Friday i go in for the first stage of the ACI procedure. Im not sure why but i am way moer aprehensive that i have ever been for a knee op.....and this isn't even the big one  ???  hhhmmmmm

Anyway, could anyone fill me in on what to expect pain wise. I know it is a small procedure in comparison but i have a wedding to go to the following day (not mine  ;D) and wondered if the pain or swelling will prevent me from going.

Cheers all

G

Offline David3

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 04:05:24 PM »
Relax Gibbon. My experience was that the ACI harvest was a very short procedure, over quickly, with very little pain at all. Think I took a couple of pain meds in the 6-8 hours following surgery, just as a precaution, but I really didn't have much pain.

I stayed on crutches the day of surgery, but was walking without them (albeit slowly) the day after. You'll probably be a bit stiff for a few days, but nothing to be concerned about. Use ice regularly, don't try and do too much, and you'll probably be able to make your wedding.

Good luck.
2006: Left Knee (LK) microfracture (MFC, LFC, Trochlear), failed at 6 months
7/07: ACI/TTO of LK (MFC, LFC, trochlea, patella)
2014: Considering ACI treatment on RK.

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:33:12 PM »
Well ladies and gents.......it is now 4 days post op on my stage 2 ACI procedure. I had 2 grade IV lesions done. One on the medial femerol condile and one on the petella. Things are going well. I am actually off the pain meds now, but i am still taking the anti inflammatory's. I have no pain in the knee exept for the obvious incesion site and a slight pain on the medial side where a bone spur was removed. I think its that anyway, but will ask next time i see the OS.

Rehab wise i am doing nothing. I am stuck in a angle locking brace set at 0 degrees. Im am non weight bearing and hobbling around on crutches. One thing that did strike me as odd is that i am not and will not be using a CPM machine. When asked why (as i have seen pretty much everyone else use one), the OS and physio said "we do not take such an aggressive approach". Fair enough i thought, but lets see how hard my rehab is once i start to bend the knee. I was told by the OS that the first 90 degrees will be hard but past that will be fine.

Anyway, food is ready so off i pop. Ill keep people informed as things progress abit further.

G

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:46:53 PM »
Well, that's a coincidence. I'm about to have my second stage MACI with Tim at the hospital in Bushey! Same kind of thing injury: tore my ACL playing rugby (repaired, 9 months gone, and feeling fine) and a small (2cm square) defect of medial femoral chondyle. 2nd stage is on Friday the 9th. I  am very young (23) and so a little annoyed at having to go through this at this stage of my life, but he assures me that i should be able to play sport again.

I'm interested to hear that you're not using the CPM either - he's told me that I won't need one either. What about a cryocuff? How was the pain post op? Also interested to hear that you're in a brace - i think i'm going to be in a cast for 10 days! Questions, questions, questions...

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:48:47 AM »
HA HA  i was in Bushey as well. However, i was with Mr Briggs. Just let the nursing staff there know that you hate Arsenal and well.......they will rib you for days. Yeap, i learnt the hard way.

To answer some of your questions charlesc -
When i asked about the CPM machine (obviously spending 8 hours a day in it, i had to ask) they literally just said that they do not take such an aggresive approach. I think their thinking is slow and steady, especially with surgery that relise on the after care as much as the actual surgery part.

Pain post op was fine......im sure there are people who will laugh at that, but within 2 days i was off pain meds and just coping with a slightly annoying incision site. For the op, i had a quad block but not a full leg block. This was to prevent spasm of the quad during the op (which apparently happens abit when you open the front of the knee up). I have no cryocuff. I am simply using a once aquired ice pack to ice about 3-4 hours a day. This, along with the meds is reducing the swelling quite abit and can feel quite abit of definition around the knee cap, which indicates that the swelling is coming down on a daily basis.

The brace........Mr Briggs said that he decides on the day as to whether he puts the patients in a brace or a cast. I am happy i am in the brace but sometimes think that maybe a cast would be better. I guess i am just worried that i need all the protection i can get from damaging the patches. I have not been doing anything, but that worry is still there. Just want this to work......

I hope that answers some of your questions, but if you have any more then please ask away. I am in a similar situation as you with age and wanting to return to sports. Hopefully we will get to that stage one day. Dont rush this........rehab to the letter and youll be fine im sure.

G

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
Sorry, when I said Tim, I meant Tim Briggs, I presume you mean the same person. I know what you mean about the brace/ cast issue - i'd quite like to have a brace for comfort, but a cast would be better - I really want to get back to a good level of sport in ~ 18 months time.

Have you started Physio yet? And are you seeing Fred Street at the Park Street Clinic?

Best of luck and will let you know how I get on.

CC

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 03:16:36 PM »
Ahh sorry. I didnt know his first name.....learn something knew every day. I am going back to see Fred on the 12th which will be 10 days post op. I think he will be taking out my stitches/staples and tinkering with the brace angles abit so i can start to bend and rehab the leg.
I dont think things are going to start to change alot from now till then but if they do then ill keep people posted.

Good luck for this Friday CC......dont be surprised if you go into theatre at about 8-9pm.......thats what happened to me, but was good as when i woke up i was set up in the brace and ready to go to sleep :D

G

Offline bb_forrest

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
Good luck to both of you.

I am having the 2nd stage of my ACI (CaReS) on the 12th so it will be interesting to compare rehab.

I'm under Mr H Maxwell at the Oaklands Hospital in Manchester (Private - aftercare will be better on NHS but my companies Health care system is ace).

My other knee is showing lesions as well apparently so it will be interesting to see what happens with that one, I'm sure he will start by doing a tidy up but how long along rehab for the ACI it needs doing is anyones guess (lot's of clicking from it).

Moving back to my parents following surgery as they have a bungalow and I'm non weight bearing(my fiancée has left me so I'm on my own, cannot imagine the cat is going to be much help - going for the sympathy angle but am sure that no one will have any), hope to be back home after a few days of partial weight bearing (whenever that is - physio said 2 weeks to partial , I'm thinking more like 3).

I'm hoping that I can get back to sports with the best outcome being to be able to run a marathon but at the moment I'll settle for not having to think how to get from one side of the room to the other!

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 04:51:43 PM »
bb_forest, just saying good luck for the 12th as i wotn be around on here for the next couple of days. 1 week down for me on the non weight baring front.......lots more to go lol.

G

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 04:52:38 PM »
Hey boys and girls. Quick update today, as i went to go see Fred the physio..yup that is his actual name. Very nice chap, and has worked with the England football team so knows his stuff. He took all 20 odd staples out of my knee and the wound was very neat and tidy. Quite impressed. Again there was no pain in the knee and litttle inflammation that is to be expected from open knee surgery.

Now for the phsyio bit. Like i stated earlier, there is no CPM machine. Instead i have to get the knee flexing myself. The aim is to get up to 90 degrees before i go see Fred and the OS next week. That is 10 days away........WHAT!!! But ill give it ago......There has been a great deal of muscle wastage. My knee is actually larger than my quad lol.......DOH....so lots of work will need to be done. We didnt actually do much physio work today. Instead we did afew SLRs and tested the pain levels by bending the knee and sliding my ankle up to my bum. No pain, just tightness, so im happy.

So im now off to go do some more quad work and flexing work.....hope to catch up with you all soon.

G

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
Gibbion,
Sounds like you are doing really well.  I was wondering if you get to do SLR's without your brace or if you have to do them with your brace on?  I am unable to do a SLR yet, however if I didn't have the brace on, I'm sure that I could do one.  I also had an HTO so I think that may be affecting how quickly I can do a SLR.  My OS doesn't expect me to be able to do a SLR for another week.  Hang in there and good luck with your physical therapy.

LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 08:43:23 PM »
Hi all - a quick update...

Had the second step of my MACI on Friday (9th) with Tim Briggs of the RNOH. Operation went really well. I have a nice 5 inch incision with ~ 15 staples. Zero degree locked leg brace - no plaster cast! I am very happy to say that I am in no pain, and haven't taken pain meds since the day after the op. Am just icing. My muscles are all responding - calf is a little stiff, quads respond well(though i'm not really allow to use them just yet), hamstring is fine, and my gluts are holding up (I had a big issue with my gluteus medius after my ACL reconstruction). Am non weight for the next week, when I go to see Fred the Physio and OS for my first check up. Am feeling positive...

I have to say, that given the general negative view of the pain and rehab of this procedure out there, I am really comfortable so far. The ACL reconstruction I had in February was far more painful at this point after the op! Off to see if the physio lives up to his reputation on Monday (19th) - he's supposed to be very good (and i have to say, the surgeon has certainly lived up to his name so far, so am hopeful). Am looking forward to it, though am enjoying sitting on my bum at the minute.

Gibbon - how many check up sessions are you having with Mr Briggs? And how often are you seeing Fred?

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 10:47:26 AM »
Hi Casey...i did manage to do SLR's without the brace on and i have not worn it since i went to see Fred the physio on mondy (10 days post op). I am really pleased with how my leg is comign back from not being used at all over the week or so. I had little control over my quads and VMO but now i am doing SLR's quite easily. I have noticed though that the muscle group around the knee......VMO and lower quads can get quite sore after a little work out, so obviously more work needs to be done.  With respect to the bending of the knee. I was supposed to have a 90 degree bend by next thursday 22nd. I would say i am already at 70-75 degrees with little discomfort. This might be due to the fact i was get my hair cut yesterday and had my leg bending over the seat.......was very painful around the incision site but worth it as i can bend quite easily.

Charlesc, glad to hear things went well. Hoped you ribbed the nursing staff about Arsenal :)   If not why not ;)  lol   Seriously though, take it easy this week. I have found that the week will drag towards the end but after the brace comes off, although you still cant put weight on the leg.....i feel on top of the world with how much progress my leg has made.....and im sure yours will do the same. I saw Fred the physio on Monday, and going to see him again on the 22nd...which is a week tomorrow. I will also see the big man, Tim on this day, and will keep you all posted on how it goes. Chin up my man......and keep ringing that bell for room service.

G