Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bone Scan results have me freaked out  (Read 1927 times)

Offline svanzant

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Bone Scan results have me freaked out
« on: September 01, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »
So I went for a bone scan and MRI (lumbar) yesterday at the advice of my pain management doc.  They did the 3 phase bone scan to rule out RSD and when it was over with the Radiologist came in and said he wanted to talk to me back in the reading room.  This of course freaked me out pretty bad!!  When we got back there he showed me my scan and that my "bad knee" was lit up like a christmas tree.  Even the bottom of my femur was lit up pretty bright too.  From what I could understand from all the big medical words he was throwing around is that there is something really crazy going on in my knee and he has no idea what it is.  He had called the president of his radiology group to look at the study and he didnt really know what it was either.  He said it could be infectious arthritis, microfracture, and some other things I cant remember.  He said "Im not trying to scare you but this needs immediate attention"!  He asked if I had been running fever or had chills, but I havent...just my knee is always HOT!  So he called my OS and pain management doc and my OS wants me to check into the hospital tomorrow and have a complete work-up and an MRI on my knee.   I am really worried about all this and have no idea what they are thinking it could be and why it is so urgent all of the sudden. 

Anyone else been through this or have any clue as to what could be going on in my knee?  Im pretty freaked out about the whole thing!!

Thanks!
Stacey
Feb 06- menicus repair
Feb 07 lateral release and LOA- ext loss >10 flex loss >20
May 07 MUA/LOA/casting to full ext, flex loss >20
July 07 MUA
Aug 07 OS decides he cant help anymore
Sept 07 hospital 6 days after positive bone scan
Feb 08 MUA LR LOA
Aug 08 LOA, MUA, LR
July 09 Appt with Noyes

Offline jennie-jack

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Bone Scan results have me freaked out
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
i have no idea but wanted to send you some big hugs.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:52:10 AM »
Did you have recent surgery on your knee?

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 06:00:35 AM »
usually, the areas that light up like that indicate bone infection . Bone infection is not sometihing to laugh at. Having had MRSA in my knee, it involved several surgeries, and months of IV and then oral antibiotics, and I still have a hot knee.  Usually you will have chills, fever, etc, or if it is a post op infection, and there is an incision site, that is not completely healed, the knee will begin to drain, green pus like mine. I had lots of pain, and hot big knee. The bone scan has a radioisotope type material, and after it is injected, it is attracted to areas of increased bone activity. Meaning that the bone is turning over faster than usual. IT can detect tumor, fracture, and infection. usually.  Ask the OS what he expects, as the hospital stay, is , I would imagine, about IV antibiotics for infection, and perhaps a scope to see what is going on I had to be in isolation. Good luck, TERESA
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Sherlock7437

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 04:58:15 AM »
Well, and I know from my own experience that pos. results on a bone scan can mean a bone tumor.  The problem is that the test is totally nonspecific-- it says NOTHING about what is wrong, only that something is wrong.

Take a deep breath, ask for an MRI, which can tell them what it is, and let us support you.
1986-deranged R knee; plica removed
2007-R meniscus removed
2007-L knee repaired
2008-osteoarthritis R K

Offline kacrab1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »
I can't begin to guess either but I wish you the best and send lots of prayers!!
PKR 8/2006
tibial fracture 9/2006
TKR 10/2006
failed replacement TKR revision10/2007
Manipulation 1/2008

support