Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Buring, extreme pain in knee  (Read 1283 times)

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
Buring, extreme pain in knee
« on: September 01, 2007, 02:56:13 AM »
Tonight I was walking down the Road when suddenly I had this very bad pain In my already injured left knee .  It was so bad that I had to sit down for awhile then all of a sudden I had this extreme burning sensation . All of this was where my MCL is located ... could these be signs of a torn or sprained MCL ?  Help me PLEASE

and I went to outpatients and they told me to suck it up....  ::)
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: Buring, extreme pain in knee
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »
Hi Tony,

You could quite easily have sprained your MCL or possiblydone some other soft tissue damage. A&E staff certainly should not have told you to "suck it up". Have you been given any help ie crutches, brace, physio? Have you had any doctor give you a reasonable explanation about your knee pain that you can understand? Have you recently or in the past injured your knee? Are you usually fit and active?

These are all questions you should think about before you see a doctor because they will want answers from you to be able to consider what may be wrong. Then you shold have a full physical examination of your knee joint, preferably by an OS, along with both diagnostic and clinical testing ie x-rays, MRI/CT/ultrasound scans and eventually, a diagnosis sould be given.
Once you have a diagnosis and begin seeing progress on rehab or whatever your treatment plan is, you can then ask what the long term prognosis will be.

Your signature states you've seen doctors because of knee pain but you haven't described what injuries you had. A little more info may mean you get something from someone here looking at your problem differently to how I'm looking at it right now.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. But please feel free to ask many questions and we'll do our best to answer your concerns.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
Re: Buring, extreme pain in knee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 03:51:22 PM »
Thanks Laura.... well the thing with my doctor... I explained my injuries and pains before to him and he just made notes and sent me to get x-rays . Now I am just waiting to see the OS . I have a list of pains/problems wrote down to show the OS . No, I havn't had any help with my knee . I had to fight to get to see a OS . and as far as A&E staff.... Here I was lucky to hear that much ::)

This is taken from my post in the meniscus section :
I had no problem with my knees until April/May 2006. During a game of volleyball I dived to get the ball and fell awkwardly, injuring my left knee. What happened was that the knee pad caught on the floor arresting the movement of the lower half of my leg while the upper half of the leg and body continued moving forwards. I think the knee hyperextended.  There was no "pop" or "snap" at that time, but I could not put weight on it and could not continue the game. There was immediate pain on the inner aspect of the knee, and also behind the knee and below the kneecap and in the thigh. My knee felt unstable for a while after the injury.

I saw my doctor who just prescribed rest, ice, compression and elevation (RICE) for 3-4 weeks. He did not order a brace. I did not attend any physiotherapy. The doctor did not order an X-ray at the first visit, although he did do so at the 6-week visit, when he said that there was no bone break.

I missed the next four games of the tournament.

Then about mid-July 2006 I was playing soccer (football) and got "chopped off" I went into the keepers 18-yard box and the keeper came out to get the ball but slid spikes up into my left anterior shin. This was at a very high impact rate.  I was in extreme pain and my leg felt like it had broken. I was not able to put any weight on the leg at all -  it kept collapsing if I tried . Then I went to the doctor and was told that I had compartment syndrome . The doctor again prescribed RICE for two weeks. After I began the treatments my leg turned black and blue from the knee down to the foot .

After the period of  RICE, the area where I had injured my leg healed completly but the knee itself did not - it actually worsened . I was not able to play any indoor sports due to pain in my left knee last school year. About a week after I hurt my knee that second time the knee started to lock and this can be very painful. The knee hurts the most when I am out for a casual walk or just after playing soccer.

Lately I have been waking up 3-4 times a week from pain. It hurts every day. And I am having severe trouble playing soccer and softball now. The pain is usually in the middle of my knee (behind the kneecap), just below the kneecap or on the right hand side of the knee.

For the last 2 months the left knee has been locking up at least 3 times a week. It usually locks in an almost straight position but sometimes it can lock when my knee is bent. What makes it lock includes getting up out of a chair too fast, stretching before a sports activity and it also often locks about 45 minutes after I play a sport. I just have to wait for it to unlock - sometimes it takes up to 15 minutes,  sometimes it takes 5. I have never been to the doctor when the knee was locked I did tell my MD about it and he basically just made some notes on his file and felt my knee and that was all.

Now I guess I should add that I can't crouch and that I am having very bad pain around my MCL .

Thanks Tony
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

support