Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: recovery from partial lateral meniscetomy  (Read 1035 times)

Offline catsfan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
recovery from partial lateral meniscetomy
« on: August 31, 2007, 07:14:25 PM »
Hi,
I am three weeks post op and frustrated with my recovery.  I began PT on my first post op day and continued to see PT for an additional 5 visits over a couple weeks.  I seem to be progressing nicely and my range of motion improved dramatically.  I was released from PT and anticipated a quick recovery.  However, my knee is still so stiff and sore.  It is particularly difficult to get up from a seated position, get out of my car or do stairs. I wonder how long is this going to last.  I never imagined the recovery process would be so long.  I am a 56 year old female and though not an exercise fanatic I did walk regulary and try to keep in fairly good shape.  I am really not able to do much of my normal exercise routine.  I will be visiting Boston in 4 weeks and wonder if, by then, I will be able to walk around the city for several days sightseeing.  Please share your comments on recovery time and tips on how to recover as quickly as possible.
Thanks

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
Re: recovery from partial lateral meniscetomy
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:10:14 AM »
Hi Catsfan - It actually sounds like you're doing pretty well.  I wasn't as far along as you at 3 weeks postop and I had similar surgeries on each knee.  I continued PT longer, just because I could, but I probably could've been discharged.  You should keep doing the exercises, and rest, elevate, and ice your knee daily, esp. after you get tired.  Regularly use ibuprofen or whatever over the counter stuff you take for inflammation/pain.  I travelled with ice packs for a couple of months after the surgery - had one at work, one at home, had a little ice chest in the car even - because when I did much walking  I would get stiff and sore and it would feel so good to ice my knee.  Stairs are hard to get back to.  Your knee will tell you how much you can do, and when to stop.  One thing that helped me was sitting in the spa and bending my knee like the PT did - kept the range of motion good.  Something no one told me about was that when they operate on your knee, they inject a lot of saline into the joint to help them see when they're poking around in there with their scope.  It took me maybe 7 weeks before all that liquid was reabsorbed by my body out of my joint - so I had some swelling that would come and go with exertion.  Don't know if you have that problem.  On the other hand, I hear others talk about being pretty much back to normal in a few weeks.  Everyone's different.  Just keep using ice!
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: recovery from partial lateral meniscetomy
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 02:48:26 PM »
Hi Catsfan,
I agree with Denise that you're doing very well so far. I've had multiple medial tears in both knees and have found that it can take many months before you feel completely normal again. Also, they say that when you have surgery, no matter how minor, it can take up to six months to regain full strength in your quads. You lose 30% due to the trauma. Patience is the key to a good, though not necessarily quick, recovery. The more you stress out your healing knee, the longer it's going to take. You should be walking pretty comfortably four weeks from now, but prolonged time on your feet is probably going to irritate your still-recovering meniscus. Be as careful as you can on your sightseeing trip, and take as much time to sit as possible. Try to avoid stairs if you can, as that can irritate it, too. (I know, that's easier said than done.)
I live an hour out of Boston, in NH, and I know that there are a variety of tours that take you around the city on trollies. These would be a good idea and would save you much grief in the long run. Plus, they're usually a lot of fun. The drivers enjoy interacting with their passengers and will keep you well entertained. They also tend to know the best restaurants. Boston is known for its great food. I hope you enjoy your visit there.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.