Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Finally some answers?!?  (Read 666 times)

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Finally some answers?!?
« on: August 31, 2007, 02:08:12 AM »
Hi everyone.  I've just returned from PT and I may have some answers to my knee pain.  I know I have poor knee mechanics with (at times extreme) medial pain on the side of my kneecap and the widest part of my knee (this is where my two knees knock together).  I couldn't understand the latter pain even after the diagnosis of knock-knees with a tibia twist and the orthotics prescription.  I could understand having the mechanics irritate my kneecap, but there?  Anyways, my PT told me that my muscles that would otherwise work normally after using the orthotics were so irritated from years of poor mechanics that the pain could be "referral" pain.  The muscles are on the inside of my thigh -- one that refers to my kneecap and the other refers to the exact same spot of pain on the side of my knee -- are getting some help.  The "cure" in this case also causes a lot of thigh pain, unfortunately. 

I was so happy to have some explanation after being told by my GP and OS that they could not see anything wrong.  I do have an appointment with the OS in just over a week so I can talk about other pain management (no drugs - mostly bracing, taping, etc.) techniques to work on while the PT guy fixes my muscles.  I am so happy to have some sort of explanation to the pain I've been having for so long.  I was afraid that I would end up having a scope to see what was going on.  If PT is correct, then having the scope wouldn't do much except potentially bring about a second lateral release and patella shave.

I hope you all are doing well.  I do appreciate the comments and support I find on this board, and I hope I can do my share in return.  HTH.

Kaci

support