Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation problem; help please?  (Read 877 times)

Offline fluffysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation problem; help please?
« on: August 30, 2007, 11:58:36 PM »
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on.  I've been using the NMES for two weeks to work on rebuilding my atrophied left quad.  Over the last two days, the tingle when I turn up the machine has become much sharper, even when I turn it down.  After this morning's session, my quad has continued to tingle all day, at least six hours now.  I tried calling the company (Empi) that made the machine, and couldn't get through to a human.  I called my local rep, who assured me that the electrode pads weren't worn out.  He also said that he had never heard of such a thing happening before, and that I should call a particular person at Empi.  I got her voice mail, and a message that if I had an urgent question to call another extension.  I got voice mail at that extension, too.  I called my Sports and Spine doc's medical assistant, and left a message there, too.

I of course won't use the machine again.  I plan on returning it tomorrow.  I just wonder if anyone out there has experienced anything like this?  It feels like a mild electrical current is running up my quad from my knee all the time.  Really weird.  I don't know if it's nerve, muscle, tendon, or what. 

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this matter, please.

Thanks,

Kathy
1991 lft menisectomy
1994 lft ACL
1998 rt menisectomy
1999 rt ACL.
Large chondral defect, medial femoral condyle, grade 4 chondromalacia femoral trochlea, patellofemoral compartment lft knee Both shoulder acromioplasty, '01, '05 
'86 compression fracture of T-7
SI joint hypermobile & arthritis

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
Re: Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation problem; help please?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:30:12 AM »
Hi Kathy, I use one of those machines in PT.  The first time I used it the stinging sensation was worse, even though the next session used the same intensity.  The PT thought it was because I had massage lotion on my knee and using older electrodes.  The electrodes were good, but they had not been kept cool so the adhesive was a bit gooey.  I haven't had the residual effects though.  I don't blame you for wanting to stop using the machine.  Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I wanted to let you know about my experience with the bad electrodes then the good electrodes.  I would recommend mentioning your continued sensation to your doctor/PT at your next appointment, especially if it hasn't fully gone away.

Good luck.
Kaci

Offline fluffysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:21:07 AM »
Thanks for the response, Kaci,

I always used the machine after I've showered and dried off, or wash and rinsed my knee and thigh and dried it well.  I read the booklet to see if I was doing anything wrong, doesn't look like I am.  It does say that some people can't tolerate it, though it doesn't mention the after effect (it did quit tingleing after about 8 hours).  I hope I've gotten my quad to fire enough in the past two weeks so that I won't need it any more.

Take care,

Kathy
1991 lft menisectomy
1994 lft ACL
1998 rt menisectomy
1999 rt ACL.
Large chondral defect, medial femoral condyle, grade 4 chondromalacia femoral trochlea, patellofemoral compartment lft knee Both shoulder acromioplasty, '01, '05 

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:46:16 PM »
yeah that tingling can continue on for ages - its happened me as well, but nothing like 8 hours!!!

i asked my physio about it - she just laughed and said that your nerve endings can sometimes just tingle away for ages after but not to worry.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline fluffysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »
Well, that's reassuring, as when I got out of bed this morning, the tingle started again.  I did my quad sets with out the machine, and it's only tingling a little.  I guess that since it's only 15 months since my last surgery, I should expect a tingle here and there.  Nerves do weird things after invasive procedures.

I need to actually get started with my new physical therapist; I've been self-directed since a few bad experiences, but I really could use some feedback from a good PT instead of a sales rep for a durable medical company. Thank heavens all of you are out there to share your experiences!  Thanks, you've helped reassure me.

Stay well,

Kathy
1991 lft menisectomy
1994 lft ACL
1998 rt menisectomy
1999 rt ACL.