Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline somuchpain1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is this normal?
« on: August 27, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »
I have chondromalacia and patellafemoral impingement and maltracking. They have me riding a stationary bike as part of my physio. When I start the bike, my left leg continually pops/cracks as I come up each rotation, which feels very weird and uncomfortable, like it is out of place and grinding. Finally after a few minutes the left leg/knee will give a large crack/pop and pop into place and I can bike normally. Is this normal and should I continue riding the bike? I called my Dr and they didn't really say much just said hmmm just keep up with the bike and start doing it twice a day instead of once. Um okay, not :-\ very much help there!

Offline BerlinKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:19:08 PM »
It doesn't sound very normal..... but rule number one for patello-femoral problems and cycling is to have the saddle up as high as you possibly can (and still reach the pedals alright  ;) ).  Try that and see if the snap, crackle, pop reduces.
BerlinKnee

trainwreck

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 04:35:49 AM »
I don't know if it is normal but my knee does the same thing.  I just work thru it. 
Sorry

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 06:01:57 AM »
One thing you didn't mention, does this hurt ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »
same thing happens me, not on the bike but with some of my exercises i feel my knee is 'wrong' then something cracks and it feels ok again. my physio (who is not a terribly friendly person) keeps saying 'just work through it - its fine'. My OS says 'yes yes sometimes these pops and cracks are just tendons moving over bone, as your quads get stronger itll probably stop happening'.
it has been happening less and less alright - so i assume my OS is correct.
hope that helps.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline tjd28

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 05:09:02 PM »
Hi. Thank you for responding to my post. I am new at this, so bear with me. What is an impingement? How is it treated? Will you need surgery? I have not gone to PT yet, as I am unable to afford my insurance deductible $500 out of pocket and then my insurance will pay 70%. I did find some exercises on the internet to try. I have also called my Dr. office letting them know I can not afford to pay the eval. fee unless there is some type of payment plan that can be set up. I also asked if I could have some exercises sent to me to do at home. I had other questions and concerns as well. That was on Tuesday (the day after my appt) and I have not heard back yet. I called again this morning (Thurs, Aug 30) before 9:00 AM. Still nothing. I also sent their office an email with my work number, home number, fax number and email address.

I am beginning to get really p-o'ed and will probably seek out another OS. The more I think about it, the Dr. I went to on Monday didn't really examine me that thorough. He didn't even have me get on the examining table! He didn't ask how long has my knee been swollen. He poked around on my knee, wanted to know if it felt like before, asked if wearing my patella tracking brace helped, Xrays were taken, wrote a script for Celebrex and ordered for me to go to PT for three times a week for three weeks. Said that surgery was not necessary and then said to try PT and go from there. (What does that mean??) I have been taking 3 Aleve a day for the past week and half and RICE for the same length of time. My knee is still swollen and it throbs!

I made the mistake of having my husband come with me and be in the examining room. I think he only heard what he wanted to hear. He told me that I just have arthritis in my knee and there is nothing that can be done. If I go to another OS, they will just send me to PT. He makes me so mad sometimes, I could wring his neck.

I had my right knee scoped six years ago when I lived in St. Louis to have some cartlidge (sp?) shaved and my fat pad debrided. Physical therapy only made my knee pain so much worse that I could hardly walk after just the first session. I had been to so many doctors before I finally found one that LISTENED to me. I hope I don't go through the same ordeal as before.