Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondromalacia and patella tracking disorder - have one without the other?  (Read 677 times)

Offline tjd28

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Do these two knee problems go hand in hand? I don't know what my real knee problem is. I have a swollen knee, popping when I squat down, it catches and it hurts until I pop it to release it, it hurts to drive, sit for a long time, stand for more than 15 minutes (it swells), I am losing sleep because of the pain, my lower leg and foot get tingly sometimes.

Anyone else have these things going on with their knee(s)???  FRUSTRATING!!

Offline somuchpain1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Yup, I have the same exact symptoms as you and same exact diagnosis, but they also think I have impingement. They did no MRIs but did a physical examination and xrays to determine this. I have been fighting these problems for 6 months now. I am starting to feel a teeny tiny bit better with the phsyical therapy they have me doing. Do they have you doing any exercises yet? I have to do the stationary bike 2 times a day, 10 minutes in the morning, 20-30 minutes in the evening. Then after the evening exercises I do (with ankle weights on) straight leg lifts, 20 degree leg curls, hamstring curls, calf and inner and outer thigh exercises. Also, taking anti inflammatories tends to help get the initial pain and swelling down. Get advil over the counter and take 3 pills  3 times a day for 10 days and see if that helps. Trust me its very frustrating for me too and I can't take it anymore. My problems started after I worked out for 5 weeks and did too many squats/lunges/ and cardio on the stair stepper. It was from over-use basically. How did your problems start?

Offline somuchpain1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
I would definitely seek a second and maybe even a third opinion. The first doctor I went to diagnosed me wrong and didn't really help. If I am not better in another 6 weeks I am going to go back to my current OS and see if they will do some MRIs just to see what is really going on. Impingement is where the fat pad under the knee gets pinched in between the bones, they think I may have that along with chondromalacia and patellafemoral mal tracking.  The first doctor I went to had me go to physical therapy and it was a waste of money because my current OS says they misdiagnosed me and said they gave me the wrong exercises to do which made me worse. They are hopeful I won't need surgery as long as I stick with the exercises and keep doing them daily.