Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: looking for help... osgood schlatter related  (Read 13174 times)

Offline katkaz22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
looking for help... osgood schlatter related
« on: August 29, 2007, 02:00:38 PM »
Hi, i had osgood schlatters in both knees when i was about 15 from all the dancing i did and had to stop, i went back to dancing about 2 years later but my knees were never as strong as they had been and i am still unable to kneel with my full weight on the right knee.
im now 23 and am experiencing the same type of things, mainly in my left knee, i have put this down to over use as i am still dancing but now for 9 hours on a saturday and 2 hours on a sunday as well as 2 hours of gymnastics on a sunday, my doctor told me to do more exercise and take pain killers for the pain, i have not taken pain killers as i believe that it just masks the problem i have. and recently my knee has been a lot sorer and has started making a clicking sound whenever i bend it.

does anyone know what i can do to support my knee while dancing and if it's possible to get osgood schlatters again as an adult. i teach dancing so i dont really want to have to stop and i am due to dance at a large event in 3 weeks time.

if anyone knows what i can do i'd appreciate the feedback..

thanks
Kx

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: looking for help... osgood schlatter related
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »
my son has had very bad OSD for three years bi-laterally has been operated on, put in full plaster the lot nothing helped but just recently it seems to have spread to the knees, the surgeon did an x-ray and found the growth plate totally closed so the OSD is no more but it has left chrondomalacia patella and patella tendonitis  in its place.Which I believe has been caused by his muscle wastage and inactivity,causing an uneven pull on the knee cap and causing it to be mis-aligned.Is the pain still underneath the knee or is it now in the knee?The surgeon said he has never known OSD last beyond 19 years
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:43:34 PM by vix »

Offline katkaz22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:37:21 AM »
Hi,

its right in the centre of my knee, especially sore when i bend it, i have resorted to hot treatments and keeping it as warm as possible until i can figure out what to do

thanks
k

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:33:57 PM »
So its definately not OSD as that presents on the bony bump below the knee , can you not get to a physio just to let him look ? it would then give you an idea of what it is and if you need to see an orthopaedic surgeon

Offline katkaz22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »
thanks vix, will get to my GP and see if he knows what's up.
thanks for the info

Offline churchillian

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »
son has osd , got it age 11 now 13, told rest ice stretch usual stuff, did not do sport for 3 months leg ok, first day back at school agony, cut down on a lot of sport . i could not understand why sport people or very active people seemed to get it worse. saw advert for clifton bradeley, osd in 90% of cases is causesd by another problem else where in ankle, knee or pelvis. my son was put on machines and told his left leg was slightly shorter than right leg causing left  leg to take all the weight.specially on site innersoles were made. above knee cap  on left leg was smaller in diameter because muscle had gone to waste as not being used correctly, we had not noticed this because we would always be looking at the knee cap lump ,he has excercies to do as well and gradually  he is getting there. please go to  someone who knows about "BIO MECHANICS" when i think about all the tears we have had over the last  2 years i get really cross!!!!