Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How much weight to lift?  (Read 791 times)

Offline somuchpain1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How much weight to lift?
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:00:18 PM »
I am currently doing physio on my own per my doctor's recommendation to try and "fix" my patellafemoral maltracking,impingement, and chondromalacia. They have me doing straight leg lifts, 20 degree bent lifts, and quad curls. How much weight should I lift? I am currently up to 6 pounds per leg and was just wondering how do I know when to increase the weight without doing more damage or pushing too hard?

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: How much weight to lift?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:17:05 PM »
I usually go up in weight when it feels too easy with the weight I have.  If I can do all the reps and do not feel tired or the muscles are not tired, then I try a half pound or pound more the next time.  Are you seeing a PT?  If so you can ask him/her for advise.  As always if there is lots of pain or sharp pain, back off or stop.

As for how much weight, I have used up to 10 pounds per leg in the past.  You should ask your doc or a PT about it though. 

Best of luck.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: How much weight to lift?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 04:08:38 PM »
Im on 20 pounds for straight leg lifts and partial leg extensions (im not sure what a curl is).
Physio tells me you can safetly add 1 kilo a week (thats 2.2 pounds to me and you) - but that you should always feel what youre on is 'easy' before going up in weight. Youve gotta be able to perform the exercise slowly, with full control, and no cheating :), before you increase the weight.

At one point in life i was up on 36 pounds for leg extensions, but i was literally getting my leg swinging and then swinging to maximum extension, and letting down by dropping - no control at all - thats how NOT to use weights :)
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

support