Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 Weeks Post-Op - Any Exercises?  (Read 561 times)

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 Weeks Post-Op - Any Exercises?
« on: August 25, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »
I just hit my 3 week mark from my surgery and with no weight bearing my right leg has really atrophied.

Are there any exercises anyone has found that can be done when you can't bear weight? I had microfracture done on the knee, so don't want to undo the good the surgery did, but want to keep my leg as strong as possible.

Anyone?

Kat

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: 3 Weeks Post-Op - Any Exercises?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »
Kat, didn't your OS tell you anything about that ? Didn't you get referal to PT ?
I would call back and ask. Though microfracture is done a lot all depends on where you had your done to know what you can do or not.
The best one to tell is your OS. Also every OS has their own ideas about rehab after. Good luck !!
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: 3 Weeks Post-Op - Any Exercises?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:38:32 PM »
Hi Kat,
I agree with Nettan that you should call your OS and get referred to PT. A lot of old-school doctors don't believe in it, but studies have shown that the sooner you get started, the easier it is in the long run to recover from surgery. Most OS start their patients off right away, usually within 3-5 days post-op. I've had two microfractures and have had to be NWB, just like you. My therapist had me start doing exercises at home twice a day.
There's a ball-rolling exercise my PT gave me to engage the hamstrings at the back of your thigh and get blood flow through the joint. You need one of those hollow rubber balls that kids play with, about the size of a basketball. You lie on the sofa with your op leg straight and the ball under your calf. Then you roll the ball back and forth by bending and straightening your knee. Starting with 3 sets of 30 gets you all warmed up and ready to move on to something a little more strenuous.
Probably the best all-around one is straight-leg raises. You sit on the floor or sofa, with your non-op leg bent and your op leg straight. You raise your op leg up about 12-14 inches, keeping it straight, hold it for a second, then let it down again. Start with three sets of 15, then gradually build from there. This works the quads on the front of your thigh. You can also work your adductors, abductors and hamstrings by doing the same type of leg raise lying on your stomach and on either side.
Quad sets are another good one. These engage the VMO, the smallest of the quad muscles and the toughest one to build back to full strength after surgery. You sit on the floor with a pillow under your op knee and try to push your knee down to the floor for a count of 5, while keeping your heel on the floor. 3 sets of 15 is good to start on this one. One caution, though. This one can aggravate your knee if it's done too aggressively, so don't push down hard enough to cause pain.
If you start with those 3 exercises and get yourself into a twice a week PT program, you should be in pretty good shape by the time you're allowed to begin weight-bearing. I'm sure some other folks here can recommend other good exercises, too. Good luck.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

support