Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New here, but not new to Knee troubles...need help please!  (Read 809 times)

Offline cajahorse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here, but not new to Knee troubles...need help please!
« on: August 25, 2007, 02:23:31 PM »
Hello,
I am new here but not to knee problems.. When I was 13 total dislocation, my patella was on the left side of my knee.  They reset and being so young I bounced back pretty good.  No therapy.

Forward two years and at 15 I did it again, but when I went down I knocked it back into place.  This time therapy through my school.

Now forward 12 years and at 34 I dislocated in a traumatic fashion.  Three snaps and I can't walk. 

Went to the emergency room, immobilzer on, then to the Ortho doc.  Ortho doc sent me for an MRI, couldn't finish it and then he said go to therapy. 

So in therapy I went for 1.5 weeks and then I developed MASSIVE PULMONARY EMBOLISMS IN BOTH LUNGS AND A DVT IN THE HURT LEG...7 days later out of the hospital.

Back in therapy I went, and now three weeks later went back to the Ortho doc (after seeing his PA's for two weeks straight who didnt help me).  The Ortho doc, who I now call a rude jerk, tells me I have two options....cortisone injection or he will "use his big guns and the PA's to make me bend my knee."  Suffice to say I was not amused and when I tried to ask him about the swelling and why my knee was numb from the joint to the middle of my leg, he said, "I am not here to listen to that, you have two options..."

I wanted to kill him.  I have never been treated so rudely and trust me in the past three months I have seen more doctors than over the course of my 34 years. 

I cannot get one straight answer out of this group. I have asked for my records and will be seeking a second opinion from someone I consider functional and not deranged. 

I am currently bending at a 45 degree angle, can put pressure on the leg and using a walker.  When I bend beyond 45 degrees there is immense pressure on the right side of my knee, and it puffs out.  It is very, very stiff and I may find my second opinion may want to do the same, but at least they will treat me human and more importantly listen to me. 

So anyone have any advice on how to reduce the swelling and how to work out on my own until I get in with the new doc?

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: New here, but not new to Knee troubles...need help please!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:50:08 PM »
Hi,

Swelling is a difficult thing to get rid of sometimes. I found, in previous years anyway, that RICE, elevation during the night and anti-inflammatories helped. However, now I'm not so lucky but that's another story.
If you've already exhausted these options and are no further on, then maybe a quick trip to A&E would get the fluid drawn off in one go. This in turn may be a turning point for your leg and you may then be able to bend it further.

It's good that you're having a second opinion and you're right - you're previous doctor did not treat you properly. To use force in order to get a knee joint to bend is possibly one of the worst things anyone can do. Aside form the pain, anguish and increasing fear of medics you may have, it may do more harm than good. If your second doctor repeats the first doctors suggestion then you need someone else.

There are plenty of good OS's all over the worls and I'm sure that someone here would be able to recommend one depending on where you're from. Tell me if I'm wrong but I get the impression you're from the US. I'm in the UK so wouldn't be able to recommend my OS (well I could but it's a long way to go just for a consultation).

I sincerely hope you find a decent, caring doctor who will treat you properyl. I'm sure there's one out there for you. Let us know how you get on.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline Marti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: New here, but not new to Knee troubles...need help please!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:57:58 PM »
I'm not sure I have too much to offer.  However, I am amazed at the lack of people skills many of the docs have.  You have certainly suffered not only from your injury but from a physician who can't hear what you're saying.  Good luck with your second opinion.  Please let us know how things are going.  Marti
Marti DeLong