Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Strange blistering/redness in open wound area  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Strange blistering/redness in open wound area
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:21:28 PM »
Hi All,

Since seeing my OS last my knee has got worse. Now I have a strange redness around the bottom of the scar area and part of this has blistered. I haven't been in contact with anything out of the ordinary, nor am I allergic to anything I know of that may have caused this. It's just in the one area of the scar. I went to see my GP (not hte GP of my usual first choice) who said it was just an infection but it looks and feels like much more than this.

See what I mean. It feels like it's been burnt but isn't the usual burning sensation of RSD. It's more like really bad sunburn in that area. My GP just gave me antibiotics and said give it a fre days and it will be fine. SO, yesterday, I sat at home and what the blisters appear. So I called my GP back. He said he didn't have time to see my again (my usual doctor would have) and that I should call my OS. I spoke with my OS's secretary yesterday and she called me back to tell me to see my OS at 0845 hours on Tuesday morning. That' assuming I last that long. If it gets any worse between now and then I think I'll go back to A&E and insist they do something - what, I don't know. Every time I've been to A&E recently I been told they can't do anything for me, I need more senior help and I must wait until I see my OS again. So I'm stuck whatever I do. Either go back for help or wait it out, by which time my knee may as well have disintegrated. I hjust hope my OS sorts something out this time. I don't want to wait any longer so maybe he'll speak to his Dermatologist colleague and get things moving more quickly.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: Strange blistering/redness in open wound area
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »
Hi,

OK - does this sound familiar? Since I posted this morning I've had the following symptoms:
light headedness
shaking
high temperature
headaches
fatigue
general achiness

I know these are all indicative of infection but it seems strange that I'm fully dosed up with antibiotics and usually by now, I'd have seen an improvement in the condition of my leg, even if taking them sometimes makes me feel a little rough. My knee itself seems to be worse. It's more tender, is redder than before and more of it has blistered. The area that was blistered has, in part, leaked a little clear yellow fluid, but no pus - so does that mean it's not an infection?
If it is, what sort of infection feels like a burn on the surface? Strange, no?

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:00:38 PM »
I would seek the equivalent of a U.S. emergency room at a local hospital.  I wouldn't wait until Tuesday.  I don't know, but you may need a different antibiotic for a different type of infection.
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
              fibula fracture
              patella fracture
              (no surgery, long, slow recovery)
   8/1/07  7 months, beginning FWB
   8/1/08  more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
   8/21/08 climbing stairs

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:34:41 AM »
Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for that. I think that would be our A&E (Accident & Emergrency) Departments. As I've not had an accident and I wouldn't consider this an emergency, I would be told the same thing. Or worse still, I'd have to wait even longer to be referred to my OS. At least by speaking with his secretary (even though she disturbed him in surgery which I'm not entirely happy about). At least I'm jumping the queue by doing it this way and I'll be the first person he sees on Tuesday before his clinic formally begins.
SO you see how I'm stuck?
The good thing is that it's already been 2 days and it's only another 2 days before I get to see him. Just so he knows exactly how it's been, instead of trying to describe everything to him, I've taken photos so he should be able to understand how it has been when he sees them.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline jcblank