Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Doctor and we have a plan, finally  (Read 858 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
New Doctor and we have a plan, finally
« on: August 24, 2007, 02:55:52 PM »
Let me encourage anyone who is thinking of getting a second opinion to do so.  I have wasted 6 months staying with my old ortho who thinks pt fixes everything.

Went to the new ortho - he looked at the x-rays and mri. We very briefly talked he then put down my chart, pulled up a chair and said "tell me about your knee."  He sat and listened, I was amazed.  He didn't ask the usual knee doctor questions - he wanted how it felt to me.  It was a refreshing approach.  He did the physical exam, all the while talking about the knee and various movements.  He ask what my goal for my knee was, no one has every done that with me before.

Next he said "we are going to fix you in numerous phases." 

Phase one was the exam and a different type of injection into the joint.  It might work 2 days, 2 hours, 2 months, who knows but he wanted to do that to see if at all it brought any relief.

Phase two - surgery on the outer tibial joint line to remove a huge ganglion cyst thats reappeared.  Until the cyst is removed I will continue to have pain.  While there he will repair menisus since I'll have to be in the hospital anyway.

Phase three recovery and rehab from the two surgeries on the same knee.  Telling me when I do recover, basically its all fixed.

Phase four rescoping the right knee

Phase five recovery and rehab

Phase six - living life

I really liked his approach, and am looking forward to getting my life back.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: New Doctor and we have a plan, finally
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »
I just want to wish you good luck. You are fortunate to meet a good OS and just because you were strong enough to change OS.
Well done of you. My OS is the same, listen and care and tell me what to expect and this will be fixed.
Wish you all the best.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Gary064

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
That is a rare thing these days..... someone who actually listens to you. You are very lucky.

Offline kahmasayshi3

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 05:59:55 PM »
So glad to hear you found a good os in the DFW area. Did you have to travel to Dallas? It sounds like this one will help and it sounds like he really listens. Keep us posted on your progress and when the first surgery is.

Shannon
knee injury at work 06/10/2007
PT Unsuccessful
Diagnosed with Subluxation of left knee
Surgery:Bucket handle meniscus repair of lk 12/20/07

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »
Good luck eaglemom ! Great to hear that you founf a good OS
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 04:12:39 AM »
Way to go! I'm so glad you've got someone who listens and cares about you having your life back (pain free)! that's great news. And good luck with it!
 :D
           -Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

trainwreck

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 04:44:22 AM »
I am thrilled for you. your persistance paid off.  I have an ortho like yours and thank God for her every day.  My knees still suck but not like they did and we are always making progress.  I think sheas actually becoming a friend in the midst of all this knee s**t.  If only everyone could have great doctors like we do they'd be much happier and in less pain.
Congrats!!!

support