Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need info on TKR updates  (Read 952 times)

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Life is good.
Need info on TKR updates
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:17:01 AM »
I'm about to embark on checking out a TKR.  I've heard things about gender-specific prosthetic joints and techniques that are focused on not disturbing as much of the muscle while replacing the joint that supposedly are less traumatic and easier to recover from.  I need some starting points so thought I'd ask on the list before poking into the internet.  Any advice and direction on researching this so I can ask the right questions as I get consults?  Thanks for any help.
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline fluffysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Need info on TKR updates
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 05:15:07 AM »
Hi, DeniseC,

I've been looking into TKR, and I found www.otismed.com.  I wrote them an e-mail and they sent me the name of a OS in my area that does the Otis procedure.  You might check out the web site and see what you think.

Kathy (fluffysmom)
1991 lft menisectomy
1994 lft ACL
1998 rt menisectomy
1999 rt ACL.
Large chondral defect, medial femoral condyle, grade 4 chondromalacia femoral trochlea, patellofemoral compartment lft knee Both shoulder acromioplasty, '01, '05 
'86 compression fracture of T-7
SI joint hypermobile & arthritis

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 05:31:53 AM »
Thanks!!
6/2005 second one
8/07 Synvisc injections

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »
The most important thing is to choose your surgeon. Choose one that does lots of knee replacements then let him decide what to put in your knee and how to get it in there. Don't get caught up in minimally invasive techniques or different kinds of prosthetics. None of that will matter if your surgeon sucks. Research shows that people that have minimally invasive techniques are no better off in six months than people that had traditional surgery. It won't matter if you recover in one month or six if your knee is buggered in a year or two. So choose wisely.

Here's a great website by a doctor that contributes to WebMD. There's lots of information on there as well as videos of surgery.

http://www.walkandmove.com/home/

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »
I'm about to embark on checking out a TKR.  I've heard things about gender-specific prosthetic joints and techniques that are focused on not disturbing as much of the muscle while replacing the joint that supposedly are less traumatic and easier to recover from.  I need some starting points so thought I'd ask on the list before poking into the internet.  Any advice and direction on researching this so I can ask the right questions as I get consults?  Thanks for any help.

Find a good OS. ask around everyone you know and see if they've had any kind of joint surgery, if they were happy with the outcome and who did it. Ask your drs for a referral. Meet the OS and see how you like them. Getting a good OS is very important.

There's a lot of ads about the geneder specific joint, my OS's opinion is that it's pointless hype and he pays it no attention. He feels that joints all come in a variety of sizes and it doesn't matter whether you're male or female - as long as the right joint size is ordered (which I guess they can measure from your xrays). Each OS will have a preferred brand they like for whatever their reasons are.

Many OS do the MIS style replacement. True, halfway through recovery it won't make any difference whether you had minimally invasive or traditional. But the point to MI is that the initial recovery is faster. There is less blood loss, less (or no) cutting of the muscle and sometimes less time under anesthesia, maybe 2 days less in the hospital. But again- farther down the recovery path it really makes no difference.

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 01:36:22 AM »
Thanks to you both.  I may not be a candidate for the minimally invasive surgery because of my extensive arthiritis.  I believe what you say about finding the right OS.  So far I've been through three of them and am in search of #4.  I like my PCP and his associate, who does a lot of sports-type medicine but is not a surgeon.  They have both said after viewing my xrays they think it's time for TKR if I'm ready for it, but are sending me to someone they both think is really good  whose practice is limited to arthroscopy to see if he thinks there's any advantage to one more of those to clean out the glitchy stuff that's floating around in both sides.  I'm not sure having another arthroscopy is worth it given the lack of any cartilage in there, plus it's another bout of anesthesia and as I've come to learn, things can go wrong whenever they open up your joint. 
Fortunately I'm not afraid of rehab because of the pain I already deal with and have had lots of PT through the years for a variety of issues...however, I just can't stand to watch videos of surgery!  Gives me the total willies.  We all have our limits, I guess.  It's helpful to read through all the links, though, so thanks for the website referral.  There's just an overwhelming amount of information out there and so I'm trying to do a little bit at a time to understand my options and educate myself.
6/2005 second one
8/07 Synvisc injections