Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: broken patella no surgery  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Marti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
broken patella no surgery
« on: August 22, 2007, 08:04:21 PM »
I am new to this board.  6 1/2 weeks ago I broke my  left patella.   There were no complications and I did not have surgery. I have been in an immobilizer since then.Tomorrow I go to my Orthopedist and hopefully the brace will come off.  Today I took the brace off and walked around my house.  There is no pain, but I wonder if I'll ever bend my knee again.  Prior to this I have been very active with yoga and other exercise 5 days/ week.  Can anyone give me some ideas about what to expect for the post immobilizer? I'm so anxious to become active again but want to be realistic.  Thanks.  Marti 
Marti DeLong

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: broken patella no surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:22:23 PM »
Hi,
I dont know much about broken patellas but i do know that after wearing an immobiliser (post surgery or injury) that it feels like you will never bend again - but you hopefully will!!

Bending was very difficult for me after surgery - youre knee is stuck in one position for weeks - its like a rusty hinge after that - has to be encouraged to bend!!!

speak to your OS and physio - they should be able to reassure you, but if you had no complications and dont have pain now i dont see why you wont heal and bend again.
tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 07:17:27 PM »
HI Marti,

Tanya is right. After the right amount and intensity of physio, alongside your OS's protocol for rehab, you shoul dhave no problem in bending your knee soon and ultimately regaining your usual ROM. It will, at times, though, feel as though you're getting absolutely nowhere with it. I was splinted for 8 weeks at a time after a couple of my operations and once out of the splint there were nights where I almost cried myself to sleep because I thought my leg was a lost cause! But I was able to bend it eventually and if you've had no complications, it could be sooner rather than later.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck. Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline Marti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:22:57 PM »
Thank you both for the information.  It does help to have some advice about the immobilizer.  Today my doctor said that he will check me in 2 more weeks.  That will be seven weeks post injury.  No physical therapy until then.   :(  This has really slowed me down. Marti
Marti DeLong

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:26:10 AM »
Marti, It sounds like I had the same injury as you, however my TPF was the most serious.  I was in a Bledsoe brace, so I probably had a little ROM.  My leg basically stayed straight & still for 2 months.  I have full range of motion.  In other words, while lying down, I can pull my heel all the way back to my backside.  I feel like you will be able to gain yours back, as well.  I wish you the best!     Suzanne
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
              fibula fracture
              patella fracture
              (no surgery, long, slow recovery)
   8/1/07  7 months, beginning FWB
   8/1/08  more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
   8/21/08 climbing stairs

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »
hey Marti,
your doc sounds like he knows what he is doing - you have to let bone heal before starting physio else you can do more damage. you will do well!!! try to take it easy for the next 2 weeks, rest up and let the healing finish - you can expect physio to be difficult, its hard work but its well worth it. they dont push you any harder than you can go - youll speed up again!!

how did you break your patella?
tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Marti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 11:51:33 PM »
Hey there Tanya and Suzanne,
I do appreciate your comments.  Only people who have experienced this can give realistic advice to the "newbies."
I am usually very active --Yoga 4 days a week and strength training and general exercise one day per week.  Finally at this point in my life (age 58) I felt in really good shape.  When I was walking out to my car after work I tripped on a crack in the asphault. Since I was carrying  a box, I didn't have my hands free to break the fall. So--down on my knees I went.  My left patella was fractured and my right foot was sprained.  What a mess!! :(  I am trying hard to keep myself in shape with exercise that doesn't involve bending my left knee. It's interesting how your perspective changes.  When I first had this injury, I thought I'd be back to my normal routine shortly after 6 weeks.  Now I just want a better idea of what is ahead.  Thank you for responding to my questions.   Marti
Marti DeLong

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 12:07:21 AM »
I'm 53 & I got my full range of motion back.  Now that I know you did yoga, you will definitely be back! 
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
              fibula fracture
              patella fracture
              (no surgery, long, slow recovery)
   8/1/07  7 months, beginning FWB
   8/1/08  more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
   8/21/08 climbing stairs

support