Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ideas for Living Alone and Still Getting Around  (Read 1070 times)

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ideas for Living Alone and Still Getting Around
« on: August 22, 2007, 06:24:06 PM »
I'm 2 weeks post op with a long recovery ahead of me after micro fractures and removal of cartilage from most of the knee.

All of my kids are gone and I live alone, which is awesome, except now. Has anyone come up with any good ideas to help someone living alone, non weight bearing? How do you get things done at home? How do you get food prepared and to the table? I still can't stand for long, so just standing in the kitchen is out of hte question. Just regular chores are an all day event, usually ending up with me falling down the stairs (my house is a tri level).

Any good tips? I've gotten to the point I'm not eating often because it's such a pain. After getting home from work, I just want to lay down.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Ideas for Living Alone and Still Getting Around
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:21:06 PM »
You should have prepared before...but done is done LOL
Why don't you sit down and cook ? I am in wheelchair and sit whatever I do.
If you sit one one chair you can prop up the leg on another one.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »
I too live alone and I had bilateral TKR. Do you belong to any church groups of any other groups where a group of people can get together and help you out? I had a great group of people from my church help me with transportation to PT and bring me meals in the evening 3x a week. I did what I could for myself during the day for about 8 weeks. I also used a wheelchair as a transporter of things from one room to the next. I also had a basket on my walker to transport things. I paid someone to clean for me till I could do it halfway alone. Just some ideas to think about.   CAROL

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:56:50 AM »
set up stool/chair in kitchen and eat beside where you cook.
get a flask on a string and wear it round your neck to transport drinks from kitchen wherever else.
forget about most chores until you are more mobile. the hoovering/dusting/cleaning can wait. could you pay someone to come in and do a few hours to change bedclothes, clean bathroom etc once a week? see can you get some paper plates/cups etc... then just throw out what youve used instead of having to wash crockery and put it away.
contact your local public health nurse (or whatever is your equilavant) and explain the situation - they may be able to provide some home help.
can you eat in work? do they have a canteen? perhaps your chef could arrange meals for you to take home?

you need to reach out to people - kids, friends, church, community, neighbours, co-workers, whatever. you need a hand with things for a while - its too much for you to be doing all this alone.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 12:58:55 PM »
I'm only 3 weeks into this process, (TPF - NWB)but I have "sitters" lined up for the next 3 weeks.  My friends got together and worked out a schedule so I will never be alone for more than 48 hours.  Since I'm not going into work, one of the admin assistants calls every day if I haven't called them by 9AM.  Some friends will come and spend a day or two, other times their teenage kids will stop in after school.  I worked with an OT to set up my house, plates and silverware moved for easy access, clothes moved so what I need now is on lower shelves and drawers.  I cook from my wheelchair.  My groceries are delivered and a friend picks up my laundry and takes it to a wash and fold service for me.  One friend who went through TKR 2 years ago had a lot of hints.  Cut the top loops of a plastic bag and tie it to the walker.  Keep cell phone in the bag so it is always with you.  Prepare a large salad and place individual servings in baggies in the fridge, so there is always something to munch on.  Instead of eating 3 big meals, eat smaller amounts throughout the day.  Hope these ideas help.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
a backpack is priceless in your situation. you can put drinks, sandwiches that have been put in plastic bags, food that you have heated or cooked and put into containers with lids, silverware, phone, anything in it and crutch to your favorite sitting area. i dont live alone but i was alone all day, everyday starting the first day out of the hospital. try to not worry about housework, it is next to impossible to do while NWB and you could easily hurt yourself (i broke a toe on the good leg while nwb and on crutches, trying to do too much). i dont reccommend that one. lol  friends are always a good idea, have them go to the grocery store for you and pick up things that are easy to prepare for you, microwave type things. you can then put the food into containers with lids (like those glad bowls they sell at the grocery store) and it will be much easier on you.

i hate that you did not ask these questions before your surgery because there are lots of ways that you could have prepared while you still had two legs to stand on. be patient, you will get thru this, it is just difficult to accept that you have so many limitations while NWB.
GOOD LUCK
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »
You should have prepared before...but done is done LOL

Wow! Do I agree! I thought I had prepared. I was just expecting a quick scope and clean up. My doctor had no idea how bad it was and he microfracture was not planned! Dang. Had I known I would have had family fly out to help me!

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:28:57 AM »
BTW, thanks for the replies. It helped. I have gone online and ordered groceries delivered, which is a first for me! I could get used to this!

Anyway, I've decided that I'm not being weak if I ask for help, so I've started to ask. A friend is coming over to clean the house tonight and change sheets. I guess I have to just get used to asking for help, don't I?

Luckily, my office is very open to working from home, so I can stay home tomorrow, because quite frankly, I"m exhausted after working all week!

Thanks again.
Kat

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 09:11:49 AM »
Hi Kat,
well done on the online shopping!!!

and well done also on asking for help!!! never feel its weak to ask for help if you need it!!!! reverse the situation - wouldnt you be happy to help out a friend who was in need? this is only a temporary situation, you can pay back people for helping later - thats what friends are for!!

good luck - keep posting your progress!!
tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app