Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: exploratory arthroscopy  (Read 7741 times)

Offline kld

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
exploratory arthroscopy
« on: September 18, 2002, 06:54:09 PM »
what is the recovery when they go in to look only?
29 year old athletic female; plica removal 10/02

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
Re: exploratory arthroscopy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 11:03:49 PM »
kld

Yes, exploratory arthroscopy is just that, they go in to have a peek to see if there's something mechanically wrong.  If they find a torn meniscus or something fairly simple, they will repair or shave it while they are in there, but it's more of a diagnostic tool.

Have they finally suggested it?

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 05:08:09 AM »
If all they do is look around and they don't touch anything. The recovery is really nothing. I had one of these scopes when I was 17 and they removed some scar tissue and things...and I walked to school the next day and there was no PT or anything to follow. Take care
Linds :)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 11:28:49 AM »
If it is just an exploratory then it is quite painless and they don't usually advise you to stay off any activities, just to modify your normal rountine.

I risks are attached are minimal, anesthesia probs, bleeding and infection etc, which are part and parcel of any surgery that is undertaken.

Although it is quite straightforward, it's not something I would want to do in a hurry!.

Iona

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 01:49:38 AM »
Hey there, Im going in for an exploratory arthroscopy Sept 23rd of NEXT year :-/.  I was told that you do leg lifts and gentle bending the same day as the scope.  You may need crutches, but if you do its usually only for a day or two.  I was told that the average time to feel 100% completely back to where you were before the scope is 4 weeks.  

Hope it all goes well for you!

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Stacey

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2002, 06:11:56 AM »
Hello

I had an exploratory scope on march 22nd.  This was a friday adn i was back to school on the monday.  I couldn't drive (it was on my right knee) until wednesday.  I was walking without crutches the next day (however did use them at school for safety issues).  Youll probably get some pain killers whihc help.  Just keep it elevated and iced adn it will feel fine in a short period of time.  There are a few basic exercises you can do.  Mainly so the joint doesnt get stiff and the muscles dont start to atrophy (or what ever that word is :) ).