Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Microfracture in Rt Knee - recovery questions  (Read 1045 times)

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture in Rt Knee - recovery questions
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »
I am new to the board, and soooo happy I found it!

I had knee surgery two weeks ago, which was originally supposed to be just a scope and quick clean up. 2 1/2 hours later there was massive work done and my doc ended up doing microfracture on the knee after removing most of the cartilage from my knee.

First of all, if you have had this done, how long were you on pain meds? I have stopped taking the meds, but the pain is crazy! Do I just need to toughen up or can I expect pain for quite a while?

Next, what type of results can I expect in the next six months or so?

Thanks,
KB

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
Re: Microfracture in Rt Knee - recovery questions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:59:08 PM »
Hi KB

I had a right knee microfracture 3/17/06 and was on the pain meds for about 4 or 5 days. It would have been longer had I been able to do crutches while on the meds!!!! I, like you went in for a scope and clean up, surprise surpriise. I was on crutches for 7 weeks non weight bearing and and additional 2 weeks with partial weight. I have heard of great success with the microfractures, however, mine did not cure the problem. The cartlidge did grow back in the area mircrofractured, but the knee was in fast deterioration. DO NOT get discouraged, make sure you follow Dr's orders and do the PT.  I am 17 months post op, have had another scope to see why the pain still and now am in waiting mode for a TKR. As my left knee progressively deteriorates, I would again try the mircrofracture to prolong a TKR.

As for what type of results can you expect depends on you and your knee. This is an awesome site to read and hear about what others are experiencing and knowing your not alone, however, everyone's needs and results are different.

I wish you quick recovery and great success with the microfracture.

Tena
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:03:11 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply. It's really easy to get discouraged, especially when the procedure was not expected... crutches suck.  >:(

Offline rainerng

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:31:41 AM »
Which part of the knee was your microfrac performed?
Ballroom Dancer
Jan 07 Fissure in Patella while dancing (prob due to VMO weakness)
Feb - May 07 PT
Jun 07 Injury got worse and given synvisc
1st Aug 07 Debridement surgery
8th Aug 07 PT with isometric knee exercises
13th Sept 07 PT with PRE's

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:33:27 AM »
I was pretty out of it when I spoke with my doc after surgery, but I remember anterior and posterior...

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:43:41 PM »
Microfracture is a very subjective surgery.  I don't think anyone has the same experience once they have this procedure done. As for the pain pills, take them as you need them!  That is what they are for.  Why suffer if you don't need to??? 

If you go to "The Arthritis Department" section of this board and click on "Bone marrow stimulation" you will find a lot of support and information from people who've been there and are still there.  Good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery!  Just remember baby steps and don't try to do too much too fast.   :)

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »
kristi is right, take the pain meds if you need them. you dont get any awards for suffering, you may even slow your recovery because of the pain slowing your pt. do exactly what your OS tells you to do, do NOT put any weight on that leg until he or she gives you the ok. walking on it prematurely can cause the microfracture to fail. i have had 2 micros so far.the first one failed, the second one worked. rehab is long and somewhat difficult.  the bone marrow stimulation section will give you plenty of details . if you have any specific questions, feel free to send me an email thru this site, i would be happy to answer any questions that i can. i am not a doctor, simply a patient offering to share my own personal experience.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 04:36:15 PM »
Thanks so much for the words of wisdom. Unfortunately, I didn't see them until I learned the hard way. I got the pain cycle going yesterday and am still trying to get control. I guess it hasn't been that long. Patience is not my virtue!

I will go to the link you all told me about. I really appreciate it!

As for PT, I am expecting it to be rough, but know how effective it is from my initial knee injury last winter. I just want to get weight on it!

Thanks again. This board ROCKS! ;D

Offline paganmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 04:48:46 PM »
do exactly what your OS tells you to do, do NOT put any weight on that leg until he or she gives you the ok. walking on it prematurely can cause the microfracture to fail. i have had 2 micros so far.the first one failed, the second one worked. rehab is long and somewhat difficult.  the bone marrow stimulation section will give you plenty of details .

So, I have fallen off my crutches a couple of times (okay, more than a couple), landing directly on my bum leg. Will that cause my microfracture to not take? I have done everything my doc requested, which is unusual, except the occassional crash and burn...

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 07:10:46 PM »
an occassional fall off of the crutches will not make it fail, it is the walking on it prematurely that can cause the clot not to take and the micro to fail.
keep up the good work.
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia