Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI & Xray costs to see new ortho  (Read 1043 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
MRI & Xray costs to see new ortho
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:49:17 AM »
I've finally had it with my current ortho and have an appointment with a new ortho on Thursday.  Yea.  However, Friday I get the new patient packet in the mail and he wants the mri and xrays that I've previous had. No problem , or so I thought.

Today I call old ortho to tell them what I need.  They say they can't do it - everything is on a disk.  The new ortho refuses to see you if you being in a disk!  Numerous phone calls back and forth and they've told me how much it will cost me.  To have my mri films is $6.00 per page, there are 11 pages or 12.  So thats $66.00 or $73.00.  The xrays are 5 pages thats $30.00 and the paper work is another $25.00!  So to get my information that I've previous paid for (and my insurance) it will cost $128.00!  And they've put them on a two disks already thats another $20.00 or a total of $138.00. 

Does this seem right.  I'm just trying to get a second opinion - if I don't take this information the new ortho won't see me.  I'm really upset by this.  I did sign that I'd pay $25.00 for my records - aren't mri and xrays records?  Augh.

Anyone have any thought on this.  Oh and it will take the old place 4 days to do this - so I'll not have them by my appointment so thats going to have to be changed.  I'm pretty upset by this.
'

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: MRI & Xray costs to see new ortho
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:40:36 PM »
You could go to the place that did the MRI and probably get copies. Also the x-rays if they weren't done in your doctor's office. Have to say though, your new doctor is behind the times. Almost all of them are going digital and even the ones that aren't have computers to look at digital copies. I think $25 for paperwork is extreme but probably not the films. I always get copies of MRIs and x-rays when I have them done. And also any important reports. I scan them and put them all in my own computer in case I need them in the future.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: MRI & Xray costs to see new ortho
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
The new ortho can view them digitally on the computer but he wants the orginials for "mapping."  When I asked about that it is how he makes up models of either your knee or hip and then can better evaluate the joint.  I thought it sounded odd, but I do understand the idea behind it.  This new ortho  has all of the latest and greatest equiptment to assess your joint problems.

I'm excited and nervous to see him on Thursday.  I still like my old ortho, I just think its time for a second opinion.  Old ortho's thought is that if 4 weeks of pt doesn't work lets do 5 more weeks!  I'm tired of this cycle since Jan.  Just seeing if new ortho has any new idea's.

support