Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Weird knee symptoms after subluxation  (Read 1706 times)

Offline thearmbarkid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Weird knee symptoms after subluxation
« on: August 21, 2007, 03:29:19 AM »
This is just strange.

Let me start off by telling you a little bit about my history.  I'm 31, and have had trouble with my left knee since high school.  I dislocated it back in '94, and I had to have surgery to remove osteochondral loose bodies from said left knee.  In '96 I had to have a lateral meniscectomy with lateral release, and in '98 I had a medial meniscectomy with lateral release.  In 2000, I had a tibial tubercle osteotomy on that same left knee.  All before the age of 30.  Needless to say, the left knee is very arthritic these days, but I digress...

The other day, I banged my knee against a steel desk in my house hard enough to dislocate my RIGHT kneecap laterally.  My leg got twisted all funny when I fell down, and while writhing around screaming, everything popped back into place.  I went to the ER, they did an X-ray and saw no breaks or bone fragments.  However, now the lateral side of my right knee has a swollen, bruised area where the kneecap um...relocated itself to, and I'm getting a clicking and popping that really hurts like I tore a meniscus (I remember the sensation from tearing my menisci on my left knee.)  Is it possible that I tore a meniscus during the subluxation of my patella?

Ryan

Left Knee
1994--loose body removal
1996--lat. release, medial meniscecomy
1998--lat. release, lat. meniscectomy
2000--TTO

Right knee
injured, 8-18-07
MRI on 8-24

trainwreck

Re: Weird knee symptoms after subluxation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:31:45 AM »
anything is possible.  You have enough knee history to know you gotta bite the bullett and go to your OS.  I know those words send fear down your spine but you may have done nothing or you may have messed up bad.  You gotta get it looked at it is the only way to know for sure.  I would ice and elevate like crazy until you get in.  Sorry if that sounds harsh it wasn't intended that way but you know what you need to do.
Trainwreck

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:57:23 AM »
RICE and make them do a Mri on you. Though clicking can also be swelling you have inside after subluxation.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 09:44:04 AM »
writhing around screaming - been there many a time!!

yes you need to get it looked at, could have done anything to it. best get it checked out.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline thearmbarkid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:44:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply folks.  I saw my PCP, and figured out right away I need to RUN in the other direction during open enrollment.  He wants an MRI, which I'm having Friday.  He won't send me to an OS ("I think we can handle this ourselves") and he let it slip that "he doesn't believe in pain medication."  One inhuman b*stard, IMO.
Ryan

Left Knee
1994--loose body removal
2000--TTO

Right knee
injured, 8-18-07
MRI on 8-24

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 08:00:06 PM »
People that doesn't believe in pain medication shouldn't work like PCP. A injury that hurts should be treated with pain meds. Getting around with pain in too high levels make the body react like you are a haunted animal.
I wouldn't go back to him..NO WAY.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 05:47:02 AM by Nettan »
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline thearmbarkid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 02:44:06 AM »
My insurance admin sent a letter bitching about my use of the ER (that's what my PCP basically tells me to do when I'm in pain.)  I'm going to give the admin a piece of my mind, and tell them that if their physician didn't have a policy of "I haven't prescribed a pain med in 30 years, I'm not starting with YOU," I wouldn't end up in the ER so much.  (I've been in the ER like 10 times for abdominal pain prior to the knee going out, since the doc would just send me home to do enemas and drinking mass amounts of water whenever I presented with abdominal pains.  I thought before he had an aversion to pain treatement, today he confirmed it by flat out refusing to do anything.)
Ryan

Left Knee
1994--loose body removal
2000--TTO

Right knee
injured, 8-18-07
MRI on 8-24

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 05:48:12 AM »
Go get yourself a new doc..useless to visit this one.

Offline thearmbarkid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 03:43:57 AM »
Just call me Mr. Vindictive.

Not only did I get my PCP changed today, I also managed to get the insurance company um...interested in his practice of not treating pain, chronic or otherwise.  That admin was *pissed* when I told him that he tells patients to go to the ER for pain treatment since he doesn't want the liability of writing pain scripts.  They're going to "re-educate" him on pain care as a condition of him still being able to see the patients with my particular type of insurance (his nurse once told me that my insurance company covers about 25% of his patient load.)

I see my new PCP at 2:30 tomorrow and get my MRI at 6 pm.  This new PCP (or his staff, actually) told me that if they can't deal with the pain in my left knee and spine, that they'll give me a referral to a pain management clinic.  My old PCP always told me to learn to deal with the chronic pain by "taking deep breaths," and "learn to accept that I'm crippled."

My only dillemma now is whether or not to allow my old PCP to send my medical records to the new doc.  He made a note on my record that he thinks I'm "malingering" and just trying to "scam" pain meds from him, so I'm wondering if I should let him send my history over to the new doc, or refuse to let him communicate with the new doc about me.
Ryan

Left Knee
1994--loose body removal
2000--TTO

Right knee
injured, 8-18-07
MRI on 8-24

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 06:00:44 AM »
You know that you are in pain and that will be enough for your new PCP. Though if your new PCP wants the papers you have no choice then hand them over.
Congrats in doing the changes and reporting this PCP. Way to go.
Good luck with Mri and this new PCP.

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 06:20:06 AM »
YEAH!!!  Good job.  I'm so proud of anyone doing what you did.
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »
well done - you definitely did the right thing!!! your old PCP sounds like he is just sadistic - why not give pain meds for someone who needs them????

do get your records sent over, it doesnt matter if his 'opinion' is that your malingering - your new PCP is going to know why you changed doc anyway. The records will contain useful information for your new PCP.

Well done again - hope you get on well with your MRI and new PCP.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app