Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: minor hyperextension of knee?  (Read 7517 times)

Offline onslaught61

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
minor hyperextension of knee?
« on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:05 AM »
I couldn't find any reliable info regarding what seems to be an injury caused by hyperextending my right knee, so I wonder if anyone here recognizes this problem based on what happened. I am planning on seeing a doctor later in the year as I am an abroad student right now and since the 'problem' really doesn't cause any problems for every day life, I thought I could put it off.

Anyway, about a year ago I was at the gym doing squats with some decently light weight and as I stood up quickly from the last repetition I accidentally straightened my legs too much and as the weight came back down to put pressure on them a small crack was heard and so I have been resting ever since. I don't feel any pain on a normal day  while I'm walking, sitting, air squatting, but I notice if I purposely straighten my right leg it feels like it will hyper extend a lot easier than my left knee, kinda like the 'giving way' feeling I hear about, I think..what puzzles me most is that there isn't pain in my knee, yet all the injuries i hear about include symptoms such as swelling and pain that prevents normal walking and such. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: minor hyperextension of knee?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 07:04:39 AM »
A injury doesn't always have to involve swelling or pain.
Could be that you sprained some ligament in there. Good though that you take this seriously and avoid doing things.
When you are able go check your knee.
Meanwhile you could keep up some exercises to strenghten the muscles around the knee.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline onslaught61

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 02:19:26 AM »
ive thought about working on the surrounding muscles and I have done so a few times, but I also wonder, could that worsen what may possible be wrong in my knee, or anyone's knee? I read a lot that surrounding muscles should be worked to stabilize the knee but if I don't know the exact condition yet any exercise could possibly damage it more, right?

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:11:11 AM »
I have extremly hyperflexable knees (all joints actually)  building the surronding muscles should help. 
I have torn both acls with hyperflexing my knees.  It doesn't sound like a full tear.  I agree it could be a sprain/strain/particial tear of a lig.

If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline onslaught61

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:13:21 AM »
so doing exercises wouldn't do further harm as long as I'm being careful, correct? Is there any way from preventing the knees from easily hyperextending as both my knees before this incident did feel like they would if I wasn't careful. My knees don't seem to have a strong 'lock' / the joints feel loose and not stuck strongly together if that makes sense..is working the muscles the only way to further help that?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:40:50 PM »
If you do exercises with not a lot of weights that will be ok.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.