Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: To have shots or not?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Puzsalad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Hanging in there!
To have shots or not?
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:58:40 PM »
I have had total knee replacement of my left knee three years ago....very successful and love how it feels. 

Now my right knee is beginning to go.  Doctor upped my pain meds (2 Alleve or similar twice a day) and it seems to be doing the trick for now if I don't do the 2 mile a day walk I was taking up till the first of the year.  I'm scheduled to have the synvisc shots next week (series of 5 shots one a week) but after reading some of the posts I'm wondering if it's such a great idea.  Might it not be better to just continue with the stronger dose of the Ibo type pills and hope that will keep the replacement off for awhile or take the chance of the shots and it maybe feeling better or maybe feeling worse?   Anyone out there been in this position.
Puzsalad (almost 65!)
Total left knee replacement 8/2004.  Now I'm questioning whether to have the synvisc shots to prolong right knee or just have it replaced.  First replacement was a snap and knee works fabulous.  So what to do?

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: To have shots or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 02:14:03 PM »
It's a tough call, and depends on how you react to shots. My mother tried the synvisc shots, and now at 3 or 4 weeks she still hasn't felt they did a thing for her. It seems to be one of those 'works for some people - your mileage may vary' kind of things. Me personally, I want better odds than that if I'm going to do shots - but then, I'm so needle-phobic that I started to freak just talking on the phone to my PA and he suggested that or cortisone! so.. no shots for me. Some people, I'm told, have done quite well with it. I'm a little concerned that the ads I've seen on tv claim it only lasts for an average of 2-3 months, which hardly seems worth it to me (even if I could stand to get 3 shots in each knee).

personally.. if the meds are working, I'd stay with those. But then.. I hate shots.

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:32:15 PM »
You're going to need a TKR so you're better off skipping the shots and going straight to surgery. If you're anywhere near bone on bone the shots will not work. At best they work in maybe 50% of people but only temporarily. They did nothing for me except cause a great deal of pain when they were injected. The longer you wait for a TKR the worse the outcome will be. A TKR will likely eliminate the need for any pain killers and let you get on with your life. The meds you are taking will rot your stomach and destroy your liver in high doses. You don't want to be taking them long term.

I had a PKR 8 months ago and I couldn't be happier. I have very little pain and that is only some stiffness at the end of the day. No problem walking at all.

Offline thearmbarkid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 03:38:29 AM »
I have had total knee replacement of my left knee three years ago....very successful and love how it feels. 

Now my right knee is beginning to go.  Doctor upped my pain meds (2 Alleve or similar twice a day) and it seems to be doing the trick for now if I don't do the 2 mile a day walk I was taking up till the first of the year.  I'm scheduled to have the synvisc shots next week (series of 5 shots one a week) but after reading some of the posts I'm wondering if it's such a great idea.  Might it not be better to just continue with the stronger dose of the Ibo type pills and hope that will keep the replacement off for awhile or take the chance of the shots and it maybe feeling better or maybe feeling worse?   Anyone out there been in this position.
Puzsalad (almost 65!)

I've had the Supartz (like Synvisc) shots in my left knee, and all they did was cause me a great deal of pain when the compound was going in...it's thick like Karo corn syrup.  It didn't do me a lot of good at all...I was also a mental wreck because of my needle phobia.

Be careful about the Ibuprofen...that stuff will cause ulcers VERY quickly.
Ryan

Left Knee
1994--loose body removal
1996--lat. release, medial meniscecomy
1998--lat. release, lat. meniscectomy
2000--TTO

Right knee
injured, 8-18-07
MRI on 8-24

Offline Lattitude 61

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 07:23:17 AM »
I received a series of three Synvisc shots after an injury. While there was the thick knee feeling for the rest of the day after each injection, there was little other discomfort. They were useless to me - had a medial plica problem.

I have heard from a friend that is a worker comp adjustor several (5 or 6) of her clients had good results with most going six months to a year between treatments.

Offline deez

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 12:19:53 PM »
I'm bone on bone in both knees and had Hyalgan shots in Dec. of last year.  Out of the 10 shots I got, only one hurt while going in.  They really did help my knees, unfortunately, the relief only lasted for 2 months.

Offline Puzsalad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Hanging in there!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »
Thanks for all the opinions.  Decided to cancel the shots for now.  Taking one Aleve in the morning and one at night seems to be doing the trick for the moment and I think a known is better than an unknown at the moment.  Have a little cartlidge on one side of my knee and none on the other side of that knee so the pain is manageable for now.  I'm hoping to go for my next TKR after the first of the year.  How does the PKR work and for those who have had it do you than have to eventually have a TKR? 
Total left knee replacement 8/2004.  Now I'm questioning whether to have the synvisc shots to prolong right knee or just have it replaced.  First replacement was a snap and knee works fabulous.  So what to do?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »
Thanks for all the opinions.  Decided to cancel the shots for now.  Taking one Aleve in the morning and one at night seems to be doing the trick for the moment and I think a known is better than an unknown at the moment.  Have a little cartlidge on one side of my knee and none on the other side of that knee so the pain is manageable for now.  I'm hoping to go for my next TKR after the first of the year.  How does the PKR work and for those who have had it do you than have to eventually have a TKR? 

For a Partial Knee Replacement they just replace the part of the knee that is damaged. My lateral meniscus was completely gone due to an injury in my teens but my medial meniscus was intact. So they just replaced the lateral side. If both sides of your knee are damaged you're not a candidate for a PKR.
The advantage is that you get to keep your ligaments and the recovery is much faster. As with a TKR, there is the possibility that it will need to be revised later on or turned into a TKR if the other parts of my knee are damaged. Since I'm only 49 the chances of me needing either a revision or TKR in the future is very high. But it would have been the same if I had a TKR.