Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1036 times)

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Confused
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:19:21 AM »
About 3 years ago I was tackeld from behind and hurt my knee. there was a very loud pop and i was on the ground. I had no insurance at the time so I was unable to get it looked at but I was sure I did some damage. I was unable to walk on it with full wait for a long time. Since then I have had unstability and pain with that knee. If i bend it all the way it pops outa the joint until i fully extend it. not to mention alot of poping and clicking going on. I now have insurance and recently had it looked at. The mri showed mutilple tears in the carlitdge but no acl tear. my doctor still thinks thats there is something wrong with the acl, based on what ive told him and the tests he did in the office. Im haveing surgery in a couple weeks to take care of the tears in the cartlidge and he wants to look at the acl. Is it possible for there to be a tear or something wrong with the acl but the mri doesnt pick it up? Im nervous about the surgery because the recovery time can go from a week or two  to alomost 4-6 months! 
Any experiences or advice would be great
thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess the only way ill know for sure is when the doctor goes in and looks at it. since this accident happened a while ago, is it possible for the acl to heal, but still not be stable?  before the mri the doctor was convinced that the acl was torn and that i was in need of major surgery, even after the mri he is still confident that the acl in not intact. Im guessing that the pop i heard when i got hit and the movement of the knee now and the mutiple tears on both sides of the meniscus are suggesting to the doc that something is not right with the acl. I personlly dont thnk my acl is torn, wouldnt my knee just flop around? thanks for your advice and suggerstions i appreciate it
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:13:07 PM by blometti »

Offline Tillson

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I'm 41 - not 81!!
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 03:07:12 AM »
Hello there! 

I've had 3 MRI scans over the last 7 years, and they show up absolutely everything from every angle.  Makes an X-Ray look like a photocopy!

I would have thought that your MRI would have shown if there was any damage to your ACL, but to be absolutely sure, I think the only 100% way of knowing would be during an arthroscopy - or whilst the surgeon is doing your repair work.

Recovery from an arthroscopy isn't very long -  a couple of weeks at the most. 

Hope this helps!

Maggie

ACL rupture Sept '99 playing netball
ACL reconstruction Sept 2000
MONTHS of physio - grating sensation developing
Pain increasing gradually due to cartilage wear and tear
Microfracture and cartilage cultivation surgery denied due to too much wear and tear
TKR done June 2007 - HOORAY!!!

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 05:05:14 AM »
Hi Blometti,

MRI's don't show up everything. My knee surgeon often thinks they are a waste of time.

Good luck with your scope. Hope the ACL is intact too.

Let us know how you progress !!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »
MRI's definitely don't show everything, though some of it is dependent on how good the radiologist or OS is at reading them.

I had an MRI done for a suspected medial meniscus tear.  The report came back that the medial meniscus was intact, but I had "chondromalacia patella with small effusion."  The report didn't even mention the medial plica that was giving me fits, much less the old, frayed lateral meniscus tear.

Good luck!
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 09:33:53 PM »
I had both a meniscus tear..and a growth like a band not showing up on Mri.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 10:07:56 PM »
I guess the only way ill know for sure is when the doctor goes in and looks at it. since this accident happened a while ago, is it possible for the acl to heal, but still not be stable?  before the mri the doctor was convinced that the acl was torn and that i was in need of major surgery, even after the mri he is still confident that the acl in not intact. Im guessing that the pop i heard when i got hit and the movement of the knee now and the mutiple tears on both sides of the meniscus are suggesting to the doc that something is not right with the acl. I personlly dont thnk my acl is torn, wouldnt my knee just flop around? thanks for your advice and suggerstions i appreciate it

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 02:31:31 AM »
Sometimes MRIs don't show things that are there and sometimes they show things that aren't there. Also, radiologists that read the MRIs are not perfect. I've had MRIs miss things in both my shoulders and knees and have had cases where my orthopedic surgeon and radiologist disagreed and cases where two orthos disagreed. Nothing is perfect but a scope is the by far the most accurate.

support