Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has anyone felt lonely since their operation?  (Read 4790 times)

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
Re: Has anyone felt lonely since their operation?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »
Sarah thanks for starting this thread i too feel lonely alot of the time was used to working 50 hrs a week or more and now home with a dh that has just started a new job and is learning all kinds of new things and is so excited all i want to do is cry and just isolate my self from all of life I know that this is not a good thing and my dr redid my anti depressants but they just dont help alot have tried several different ones and could really care less

i trie to think that i will get over this but like others have said i have such a long way to go adn it is over whelming that i am no longer in control of what is happening to me since this is a wc issue

hope all have a great weekend

caren
Caren

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy..."
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 08:09:47 PM »
Hi Caren,

I didn't start this thread but I am glad you are finding comfort in it.  You need to surround yourself with positive things and people.  It is very scary and overwhelming.  I am 6 weeks post op and frustrated with my ROM being at 55 despite the fact that my PT says I am progressing fine.  I want to be at my first goal of 90 degrees like now, five minutes ago, but we all have to learn the patience and allow ourselves to heal at our own pace.  I am having a hard time with it too but this site is so wonderful.  You will have good days and bad.  Remember to bring positive things and people into your life.  It really will help!  Hang in there and lean on the kneegeeks!  We all understand how you are feeling!

Sarah

HUGS!
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Oct 23 07 Saw OS, wants second opinion from partner-ROM stuck 30-35
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X
Jan 8: ROM 134
Rest In Peace, Lucky!  I love and miss you so much!!!!!!!!

Offline BUSTEDKNEEB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 09:03:43 AM »
I HEAR YA. I HAVE FELT SO LONELY CAUSE I COULDN'T GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT HELP. I WAS IN A WHEELCHAIR FOR TWO MONTHS AND LIVE UPSTAIRS APT. BY MYSELF. HOW DO YOU SCOOT DOWN AND UP WITH A WHEELCHAIR WITHOUT HELP? WELL, YOU CAN'T TOO EASY. IT IS HARD NOT TO NOTICE WHO COMES AND WHO DOESN'T TO HELP YOU AND SAY HI WHEN YOU ARE LIKE THAT...I AM OVERALL DISAPPOINTED IN MANY MANY PEOPLE. WHILE I KNOW EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN LIVES, I STILL FEEL THAT IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THEM I WOULD HAVE IN NO WAY BACKSLIDEN AS A FRIEND IN THEIR TIME OF NEED. MAYBE THE ONE GOOD THING IS YOU CAN FIND BETTER PEOPLE WHO ARE TRUE FRIENDS AND A BETTER INVESTMENT BECAUSE I AM NOT INTERESTED IN PEOPLE WHO JUST ARE FRIENDS CAUSE IT IS CONVEINENT OR FRIENDS WHEN THEY WANT TO BE ETC...I'M SURE I SOUND SOUR BUT IT IS MORE LIKE I FEEL LEFT OUT...I WENT WITHOUT MANY THINGS DURING THIS BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO BOTHER ANYONE AND I TRULY THOUGHT MORE PEOPLE WOULD VOLUNTEER TO HELP BUT THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. SO I CAN RELATE.....THE ONE THING THAT HAS HAPPENED THOUGH IS I RETURNED MORE TO MY DEAREST RELATIONSHIP OF ALL THAT I HAVE NEGLECTED...MY CHRISTIANITY. SO MAYBE THAT IS THE THING FOR YOU TOO. GOD BLESS AND YOU ARE NOT ALONE, YOU ARE JUST "EXPERINCING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTY". YOU WILL BE BETTER SOON, YOU'LL SEE.

BRENT ;D

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy..."
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 03:05:38 PM »
Hi Brent,

It has been a long time since I have visited that thread!  I have since had a second surgery to remove scar tissue, a lateral release and a manipulation under anesthesia.  I am doing much better now.  I have graduated from two crutches, to one crutch, now I have a cane.  I am up to 128 degrees in flexion and should soon ditch the cane.  I hope by my next OS appointment to be without the cane.  I see him towards the end of January.    I have a slight limp if I have been outside and it is very cold here.  I can take some normal slow steps in the house. 

Anyway, I really hope that you are back on your feet.  I know what you mean, though.   You really learn who your true friends are, but also keep in mind that some people don't come around because they don't want to bother you.  I know it sounds weird but some people get freaked out and afraid to bother.  I truly think that some people just do not know how to help.  there are a few people I no longer speak to because they told me I was just looking for sympathy, well whatever.  I would do no such thing.  Especially now with the cane.  I want nothing more than to be treated normally.  People that have never had these kinds of ordeals have no ideal what it is like, how long a process it can be to get normal, and most of all, how completely traumatic it is physically, emotionally and mentally.  It is stressful and very draining.  People just don't always understand if they haven't been there.

I am sorry to hear you did without so much.  I did without some stuff too and had to learn to let others do things that I wanted/needed and liked to do.  It is a very hard thing to do.    I didn't want to bother others sometimes too as for the first few weeks, my poor husband had to come home from work in the middle of his work day to make me food and help me get to the bathroom and stuff.  Then I just felt like a big burden on him.  Poor guy.  Hope I never get like this again!

Anyway, I really hope you are doing much better these days!  If you have a chance, write and let me know! :-)  I have to get back to work for now but will check around later! 

Take care and best wishes!

Sarah

Happy Holidays!!!!
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Oct 23 07 Saw OS, wants second opinion from partner-ROM stuck 30-35
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X
Jan 8: ROM 134
Rest In Peace, Lucky!  I love and miss you so much!!!!!!!!

Offline BUSTEDKNEEB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 08:16:35 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Yes I am a lot better now. I can get around very slowly with a cane and can drive. I am thrilled for that. Still have several concerns about healing up, but since you really have to wait it out, I try to hold judgements back for a good while. I appreciate your comments too, that was very nice. I think the shortcoming of all the treatment is the vagueness of the OS in general, and of course as she and I and you eluded to the extremee isolation at the beginning of it all. Well know I am not captive to this, and hope to heal up. Merry X Mas and take care.

Brent

Offline Tinde

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:44 PM »
Hey!

Unfortunately you are not the only lonely one.. Its weird how your friends suddenly have more important things to do than chear you up, help you get better or help with household issues. And when you finally get better on your own they try to explain how situation was a bit difficult.. Yeah, whose situation..?? ;)

But I'll tell you my short history with similar insidents.. I have delt with several injuries that has been caused by accidenst in floorball. After injury or operation I didn't hear from my team mates at all! When I got back to train everyone was exited of my return. Would it have been so hard to pick up a phone and call to ask how am I doing? Apparently yes..
My latest injury happend nearly two years ago and since I haven't been able to play floorball again. I have only one friend from the entire team/organization who has been in contact with me and helped in my rehab by walking with me.

Maybe its too awkward for our friends to contact because they would want to help but don't know how.. Fortunately we have forums like this where we can share the pain and get comfort on rought times.
Let's keep it up! :)
My history in a nut shell:
- '98 and '02 achilleis tendon surgerys
- '03 elmslie-trillat on a right knee
- '05 plica out in an a-scopia
- '06 medial release
- '06 a-scopia to the left knee (which still buggs me)
- '07 -''-
- '08 med.meniscal re-attachment
- left knee's mystery (acl/pcl/plc?)

support