Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Feeling well and truly fed up!  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Amanda1975

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Always been clumsy but this was not my fault
Feeling well and truly fed up!
« on: August 17, 2007, 10:20:45 PM »
Hi

Its almost 2 months since my op now and the knee still buckles at least 3 or 4 times a day.  I have to walk with a crutch still (I can walk without it but because of the buckling knee I feel better with it and have been told to try not to let the knee buckle) and wonder if I'll ever be able to walk without it.

An aquaintance of mine had her TKR about a month after my surgery to repair and correct some stuff and she seems to be doing better than me, is that normal?  After all she had a much more invasive procedure done.  My friend also know this lady and seems to get pleasure in comparing how well this aquaintance is doing to how not-so-well I am doing.

I also read recently that men recover quicker and better than women who have had a LR, so feeling a little dispondent at the moment and wondering if it was all really worth it.

Amanda

Degenerative Left Knee due to Maltracking Patellar Grade 3-4
Operation 25th June 2007
Lateral Release, Microfracture, shaved intrapatellar pad and Menisci Tidy Up
Right Knee chondromalacia patellar Grade 1
PT and HT awaiting review

Gary064

Re: Feeling well and truly fed up!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:27:53 PM »
Hi Amanda,
               Don't be so hard on yourself. You have to give your muscles time to build up. My knee was still buckling up to 4 months and have done twice in the last few weeks. I am not worried about it as my muscles have fully recovered, it was mainly down to my weight. You will improve week by week just don't worry too much, i felt the same way as you after my TKR, but now apart from a little discomfort i am fine, so will you.

Wishing you well

Gary

Offline Amanda1975

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:31:51 PM »
Hi Gary

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I was just reading your post op diary to see how a TKR patient recovers, my so called friend seems to think I should be jogging around the block now as our aquaintance is doing so well.

I wish she knew what I was going through, my kids hate me because I have ruined there summer holiday not being able to take them out and about.

Amanda
Operation 25th June 2007

Gary064

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Hi Amanda,
              Recovery depends on the individual, it can take up to a year in some cases. As long as you keep up with the excercises and don't over do it, you will be fine. Its as long as it takes don't let anyone rush you, your doing fine.

Gary

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:40:06 PM »
Amanda, kids are kids and they will be fine. Some years ago after coming home when getting spinal injury I couldn't get out for a whole Summer.
My kids were 7 and 12. They coped fine really. Now they are 13 and 18 and are blessed with being nice and caring to others.
They see people in another way.
You will be fine. Sometimes recovery can be a bit slow.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:28:32 AM »
Hi Amanada,

Of course it was all worth it, you've done positive things to rectify a situation, now you are just waiting to reap the rewards. and they will come, it takes time patience and work.

Havingg reached the grand age of 50 today (Yipes) I've decided to make a firm vow to stop comparing myself to others, there will always be folk who are younger, prettier and smarter, but I'm me, and I'm unique!!!!!!

You are a one off as well, and it really doesn't matter how quickly any one else recovers, you will improve at a pace thats right for you. By the way, YOU haven't ruined your kids holiday, circumstance did that, I'm sure that you didn't enter a competition, or buy a ticket to have knee problems, it happened. So your recovery isn't as quick as you may have hoped, Ok it happens. They may not had a holiday like normal, but please don't let them put the guilt on to you, it's a valuable life lesson for them, Mums break down as well, deal with it.

Keep working towards improvement, and it will come. I find it help sometimes to take a breath, and stop looking at the mountain in front of you, and wondering how you are going to climb it, it seems so high and difficult. Instead take a moment, turn round and look at the bit of the mountain that you have climbed, it doesn't matter if you've only managed one of the foothills, turn round, enjoy the view for a minute, savour the progress you've made, and tell yourself, yes, I've done that. Thne turn and look at the mountain again, don't look at the top, and say 'that's to far, I'm not going to get there', look for a landmark that's within reach, then set that as your goal, when you get there, celebrate your progress again. Keep doing that and you'll soon find yourself at the top of that mountain.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

trainwreck

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 05:04:07 AM »
You might want to reevaluate your "friendship"  My friends don't treat me like that.   Everyone recovers at different rates and enters surgery in a different place.  You aren't doing somthing wrong..    All you can do is the best you can do and let your body set the pace.  I personall would have some choice words for your "friend"  You are doing just fine and cannot compare yourself to anyone else.
Trainwreck

Offline Amanda1975

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:09:59 PM »
Saw my PT today, I told what my friend had been saying about our aquaintence recovering better than I am after her TKR.  She reassured me that my progress is good and that I had a lot of things done but that there are still some degenerative issues that could not be operated on and should improve with time and physio.  Apparently I have a discoid meniscus and thickness lesions that are still there.

Amanda
Operation 25th June 2007

trainwreck

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 04:32:30 AM »
Thats good news, please be sure to share it with your "friend"  Maybe you should take some perverse pride in the fact your knees are more messed up than the other people she knows.  You're doing great and that is what matters.  I am happy for you.

support