Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondrocyte implantation  (Read 2481 times)

Offline lars3159

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Chondrocyte implantation
« on: September 17, 2002, 04:46:02 PM »
Hi,
I am new to this board and am wondering if anyone can give me information on Carticel. I would like to know if this is a permanent fix as I cannot find any followup information past 2 years. If anyone has e-mail addresses of people who have had this procedure I would really appreciate being able to contact them. I have a 1 cm defect in my medial fibia compartment which was treated with microfracture. It continues to hurt. During my last scope the doctor found that the tissue is smooth but it is also soft.
Any help or advice that you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kurt

Offline gailg3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Chondrocyte implantation
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2002, 05:55:11 AM »
Kurt,  My Carticel was done  17 months ago (April 2001) in PA.  I had a previous microfx also that failed.  Carticel so far has been successful for me and my implant site is painfree for the most part.  That's not to say that my knee is painfree, but my implant site feels pretty good.  I'm always aware of my knee, and I have not returned to "normal" activities, but that might be more my choice than anything else.  I'm very careful with my knee.  I'm only going on 27 years old so this repair has to last me for a while.  I don't expect it to be my last knee surgery though to be honest with you.  I figure it will buy me some time that I really need.  But for now, my knee feels good that I can do what I want for the most part, more that I could before the surgery for sure, and I can walk, I can enjoy my life again, and I can bike and swim.  If you have specific questions about the procedure or the rehab you can e-mail me if you want.  I had a medial condyle defect, pretty good size although I don't recall the exact size now and I don't have my op report in front of me.  I have really cool pictures from my surgery.  I wish I had a scanner.  Gail
L knee scope Nov 98, L knee LR, Microfracture Aug 99, L knee Carticel biopsy Jan 01, L knee Carticel Implant Apr 01
R knee scope Oct 04 Microfracture

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 08:01:14 AM »
Look up ACI and or Carticel on the web at www.google.com  You may have to go through a couple of dry medical links, but there is one out there (sorry, don't know which one) that has results from US and Sweden.

The procedure has been done in Sweden since 1985 or so, and I've seen some results as far out as 10 years.  For the most part, they were good (80-90% success, depending on location of defect and a few other things).

Good luck.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline noddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2002, 09:29:08 AM »
If you look on this forum under arthritis you will find more information on carticel and others who have had it done.

support