Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Approx 5 months into sprained ligament recovery  (Read 1315 times)

Offline rettie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Approx 5 months into sprained ligament recovery
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
Hey everybody! Here's my little story:

I managed to sprain my MCL (grade II I think, can't quite remember) and ACL (no idea what grade) about 6 months ago now playing football. Knee got swollen and afterwards I went to the OR and then to the knee clinc where I got doomsday advice about the reconstructive surgery I was going to have to have and the four month waiting list on the NHS. After 6 weeks on crutches, icing and resting I returned to the knee clinic, gave back my crutches (I could limp fairly well) and was told as my knee was healing well and that they wouldn't consider me for surgery, a long course of physio would be my next step. This was worrying to myself (a 20 year old male) as I had been told that as a young person who intended many more years of physical activity surgery was the way forward, so I enquired with my GP and physio (and anyone I could find haha) and got the same advice: knee was healing well and surgery wouldn't be considered.

So I've been rigorously working at physio for about 5 months now, over the last 3 I have started on the exercise bike, half an hour 5 times a week, bought a wobble board, exercise ball and compression ice pack all which I use regularly. At this point I have a tiny bit of swelling and slight instability in the leg. I suppose I'm just asking for anyone who has recovered from a knee injury without surgery to see how they got on? I'm incredibly paranoid that I won't get the 'complete' use of my right leg back, and the only experiences I can find on the web are from people who had to recover after surgery. Any words of strength from people who just powered through a long spell of quad and balance exercises? How are your knees? PLEASE tell me they are as good as new lol, thanks! :)

Offline Hooper

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Approx 5 months into sprained ligament recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 12:03:36 AM »
I am just about to go through the physio that you have started for a partial ACL tear. Hows it going for you, have you found out if a return is realistic?

I too am having doubts of not being able to return after a rigorous physio program.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:35:59 AM »
There is always the possibility in getting a second or even third opinion if yo ufeel unsure about everything.
If you are playing football maybe if you don't have surgery a brace would be good while playing.
Though need surgery or not after rehab depends on how stable you are and what activities you are doing.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline rettie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:27:25 AM »
Hooper: Good luck! To answer your question; it's going very well, and every physio and doctor talks about my return to sport so I'm pretty sure a return is realistic! The thing no professional will commit to is telling me is whether I'll make this mythical full return to sport, i.e. full stability and strength. I was really worried about this, but when I started thinking about it, I'm only halfway through my recovery and this early on there's no possible way to say how things will turn out. I found a really good resource (on this website no less) about ACL recovery that reminded me just how far along I actually was in my rehab:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtutor/doku.php/cruciate/hall_cruciate_rehab06

I'm on stage 3 of 5, so still a bit to go! I can't really comment on your situation as I don't THINK I tore any ligaments in any capacity. But someone will have and that's what this site is for! My knee is feeling infinitely better than 3 months ago, and through physio I reckon you can return to sports. You should speak with your physio about others with similar injuries and how they got on. I'd be interested in that too! Stay positive!

Nettan: Cheers! Yes I think a good brace is an idea, I might just wear armor the next time I'm on the football pitch! I plan to be as active as I was before, football (soccer) twice a week, basketball once a week plus running etc at the gym. Worst comes to worst I suppose I'll just get active again, get crunched in a game and end up back at hospital having surgery and doing another year of physio haha. But I'm talking rehab very seriously and devoting myself to returning. Thanks!

Offline rettie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:10:30 AM »
Has nobody recovered from a ligament sprain without surgery?? Eeeeep.