Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please let me vent and cry for a moment....  (Read 2211 times)

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Please let me vent and cry for a moment....
« on: August 14, 2007, 01:48:50 AM »
Hi all,

I just finished 30 minutes of low-impact exercise and my knee is now killing me for it.  I used to be able to do this exercise for 50 minutes at a time, 4 -5  days a week without this much pain. 

It is so frustrating when the OS tells me that he can't see anything wrong on the x-rays or MRI.  I consider myself lucky that I don't have what would be a severe case, so in all my anger and self-pity, I give you all a ton of credit for putting up with everything, and many of you continuing with sports. 

On a good note, I do get to start PT again next week (my insurance just changed and then I went on vacation), so in about 6 weeks I can go back to my OS and see if he has any other ideas.  I just felt like he didn't talk to me during my exam and just went by my story of my injury in January.  I fell skiing, but I have always had problems with my knee.  Then the PT tells me that I am knock-kneed with a twist of the tibia as well.  I now have orthotics which help while I wear them, but the pain seems to rebound when I take my shoes off. 

At the moment I have a ton of pain in my medial side (medial kneecap and medial side where my femur and tibia connect -- if I have the anatomy correct).  What could cause pain in both areas?

Thank you for letting me vent.  You are great to give me a place to cry for a moment without feeling silly.

Kaci

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
Re: Please let me vent and cry for a moment....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:24:23 AM »
Hi Kaci,

If you are frustrated, it might be in your best interest to seek a second opinion. I found out that the MRI and XRAY's don't always show everything going on in the knee area.  The pain may be something as little as weak muscles from babying that knee after your skiing injury or could be something more.  I did get a second opinion when the OS felt the pain was not as severe as he thought and the new OS had a contrast MRI ordered. We ended up going in the knee a second time as exploratory surgery to see the options. Unfortunately in my case, I am just playing the waiting game until I can take it no longer to get a TKR.  I believe if OS #1 had taken me more serious, the knee might be in better shape today, but not a way to really know.

I do hope the PT will help. Make sure you ice up the knee after you do your low impact excercises and get your knee plenty of rest.

Tena
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 04:39:24 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about your troubles and pain.  For me I feel as if the weight of the world was just lifted from me.  I finally got feed up with my current os and have an appointment next week with a new os.  I've listened, rehab. etc until I'm blue in the face.  My mri and xrays show knee issues but the os doesnt' think they should be such a big deal!

I don't want to discourage you but rather enrourage you to not wait around for months before seeking another opinion.  I've wasted 8 months with this guy - I'm ready for my life back.  Please seek another opinion.  It sounds funny but I feel enpowered by doing so.

trainwreck

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:14:05 AM »
Hey I am sorry you are having such a rough time.  Your knee problems are as important and bad as anyone elses.  Good for you for venting.  I think everyone should do it from time to time to stay sane.  Have you considered seeing a different OS?  I would never ever put up with one who I didn't think listened to me and focused.  There are too many great ones out there to put up with an idiot.  You are a valuable person who deserves to be listened to and taken seriously. I am sorry but I don't know where you are from  Maybe if you let people know where you are they could suggest another OS they like in your area.
Again, I am sorry you are having pain and irate.  We all have been there and empathise with you.  Don't ever think anyones knee issues are more or less important than yours!!!! Please
Good Luck and consider another OS.
Allison

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 01:21:59 AM »
Thank you all very much for your kind words.  I'm feeling a bit more optimistic today.  I was granted a new work schedule to fit in my PT appointments, and if I don't feel better in a few more weeks I'll go back to the OS.  If I don't like what he says or how he treats me I will definitely find a new one.  I'm in the Denver area of Colorado, so any suggestions are welcome!

Take care,
Kaci

trainwreck

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 05:04:45 AM »
Glad to hear you are having a better day.  I am in MN so can't help with an OS in CO.  IF noone responds you might  to post a new thread and theres an area here on knee geeks where you can get MD recommendations.  Remember there will be good days and bad days.  It is part of the process and we all go thru them.  Good Luck

Offline hokiesean24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:56:49 PM »
I second that you should not always trust the MRIs and X-rays.  My Surgeon has called me a freak for years now, every one of my 5 knee surgeries (including the expected OATs procedure tomorrow) has began as 'exploratory' surgery.  I have never had any of my injuries show up on MRIs or X-rays.  My last operation was an expected ACL/MCL procedure, they got in there and found 5-6 large bone chips, and removed them.  They are between the sizes of dimes and quarters, large.  4 weeks later they took X-rays b/c I was having a very tough time with range of motion and could not even see any sign of the bone chips that came out.  That leads me to the procedure tomorrow, 8 months since the chips were removed, I still cannot do anything more than walk.  The MRIs and X-rays still dont show the trouble areas, so a new surgeon is going in tomorrow with a scope to look at the injured areas and hopefully be able to open me up to perform an OATs to smooth it all out.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:05:52 PM »
Hi Kaci

sorry you ae in pain - never a nice thing.

Listen, can I suggest that you take someone with you to your next appt, whether it is with the same OS or another - someone that will help you keep focussed on asking the questions you need and getting the answers, it is all too easy to get distracted by the OS just telling you what he wants to say and then coming out of the office without any of your questions answered - it might also be useful to keep a diary of your pain and make a list of questions.

good luck

anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline april

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »
Hi, I agree with the above suggestions to keep a diary of what's happening with your knee, and to make your list of questions. It isn't always easy to stay focused and keep pushing (without being "pushy"!) until you get the answers to your questions, especially when you're feeling your doctor isn't quite listening to you. When you make your list, make sure to prioritize your questions because your doctor may not be able to get to all of them due to time constrainsts and any other issues he may want to discuss. Based on my experience, albeit relatively little compared to some of the people here, I try to limit myself to the "3 questions rule". Of course, include any more you may have, but make sure you get to the issues that are bothering you the most, or may have the greatest impact on your treatment path first.

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 03:46:40 AM »
Thank you all for the wonderful advice.  I'm going to go to PT starting Monday and maybe he'll have a suggestion as to what may be going on.  I popped my knee at work the other day and have been limping ever since.  The pain seems to come and go.  I will try to see the OS soon after the PT starts, and perhaps see a doctor in Vail if my insurance will pay for it.  Vail has some of the greatest knee doctors in the state.  The trick is to get the time to go up there for a day (or repeated days).

Thanks again.  I hope the OATS went well hokiesean.

Regards,
Kaci

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 03:50:52 AM »
Good Luck with the physio on Monday.

Don't forget that it will ache/hurt even more after that!  well mine always does - but then you will be using muscles that are in need of use! - So it is all good in the long run!.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I'm feeling a bit more optimistic, although I am not yet ready to start strengthening exercises as my PT puts it.  There were two large muscle knots (one in quads and one in IT Band), plus a sore patellar tendon.  PT worked on those and suggested accupuncture needles that will stimulate the muscles and cause them to relax.  We'll give that a try on Thursday.  PT said the pop in my knee last week that caused so much pain was probably the IT Band pulling my patella out of alignment a bit.  That makes sense as my medial compartment still hurt after that happened (the pop was on the lateral side).  I do feel a bit better pain wise today.  PT said absolutely no stairs until I get my knee in proper alignment (big joke - I live on the third floor without an elevator).  Oh well.  Thanks for listening, and thank you especially for caring!

Stay well.
Kaci

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 03:04:25 AM »
kaci, where is you knee pain on the begining message ? cause honestly I have no idea what "medial side (medial kneecap and medial side where my femur and tibia connect" is ? lol  :-[ I have a funny feeling that I could be having the same issues
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline kaci74

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:10:11 AM »
Hi Tony,

My pain is on the inside portion of my knee - between the knee cap and where my knee is the widest.  The pain moves a bit.  A little bit of history - I am knock-kneed with a tibia twist.  That in itself is what my PT thought was causing the pain.  In January 2007, I fell skiing and sprained my MCL - no tear according to the MRI.  Ever since then  I have days where it's extremely painful to walk.  My knee is relatively stable and the OS thinks my MCL and ACL are intact.  The PT thinks the pain is caused by the poor knee mechanics.  I have been wearing custom made orthotics for a month now with a bit of relief, but I have days where the pain is so bad I don't want to try walking.  Let me know if you have a similar story.  Maybe we could compare notes.

Regards,
Kaci

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »
Mostly my pain is on the inside portion as well. My injury could have spanned from a number of incidents . 1 was a skiing incident and the other was a volleyball incident . My pain is constant but, only on the inside portion when I am walking/running . this causes many problems because I play alot of sports . My knee isn't very stable . there'll be days where my knee will collapse 10-15 times a day sometimes more sometimes less .

Thanks

Anthony
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

support