Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain in (outer) left knee  (Read 2560 times)

Offline garlic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain in (outer) left knee
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:50:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have a question about the pain I have been experiencing in my left knee for the last 3 days.  Basically, I have no pain at all when I am at rest, some discomfort when I walk, and an extremely sharp stabbing pain in my left knee when I go up stairs or put a good deal of weight on my bent leg.  Specifically, the pain is along the left (outer) aspect of my left knee.  To my knowledge, I did not sustain any knee trauma. There is absolutely no swelling/redness of the joint, and it does not feel very tender to the touch.   I don't run or play sports involving a lot of jumping.  I do lift heavy weights, however I have not done any lower body workouts for a couple of weeks.  I am somewhat concerned that I have such a sore knee without any apparent cause.  I would appreciate any advice/comments.

Thanks

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
Re: Pain in (outer) left knee
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »
Hi Garlic, welcome to the Forum, and congrats on being the 19000 member!

You need to go and get the knee checked out, sounds like you may have a problem with your meniscus.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline garlic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome!  I had considered a tear of the lateral meniscus, however I read that non-traumatic "wear and tear" injuries of the meniscus are quite uncommon in healthy young people (I am 24, and otherwise in good health). Also, I don't have a lot of stiffness in the joint, no clicking or popping sounds, and a normal ROM.  Is it possible that I am suffering from something like ITBS?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:23:53 PM by garlic »

Offline Lattitude 61

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 04:37:25 PM »
Hi Garlic,

I was told that even a small twist can cause meniscus damage. Haven't dealt with ITBS. I agree you need to get it checked out.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 05:51:18 PM »
Your right that your age is an advantage, and you're less likely to get a tear through wear and tear. I know that I'm twice your age, but I had actually forgotten the incident where I tore my meniscus, the actual injury, though painful at the time, quickly seemed to settle down, and I had filed it away under not important. It was weeks later after a day on my feet that the pain came and stayed. For now you should be resting, icing and elevating, but seriously at your age you need to get this looked at, and soon. If you do have a tear it needs to be managed or treated, if you ignore it and keep hoping that it will go away then you could lead yourself into more trouble.

6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline april

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »
Hi and welcome,
Do get your knee checked out. Even if the pain dies down shortly, it may come back to haunt you later if you don't seek the right treatment early.

If it weren't for the fact that you say your pain is on the outer aspect of your knee (which i take to mean it is the outer side of the knee, not the outside of the patellar tendon at the front of the knee) i'd say some of your symptoms sound suspiciously like patellar tendinosis. I remember having symptoms similar to what you described: no swelling, no discomfort while sitting, some aggravation while doing light exercise like walking but sharp, stabbing pain while doing heavy exercise. There was no obvious traumatic injury to the knee, and no signs of inflammation (swelling, redness), and no obvious pain unless the area was pressed with a lot of pressure. In my experience, patellar tendon pain can come from different parts of the tendon -for me it is concentrated on the medial and the inner part.Though patellar tendinosis is sometimes called "jumper's knee" due to it being common amoung people who do sports that involve a lot of jumping, probably any repetitive use that creates stress on the knee whe bent can encourage it too... you say you do a lot of heavy lifting.

Anyways I do hope you get a good diagnosis from a doctor, and please keep in mind the location of your pain may rule out what I've just described.

Offline garlic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »
Hi again,

I took the advice that everyone here has given me about going to a sports physician.  As it turns out, he believes that my injury is ITBS, and definitely not a torn lateral meniscus (because I can squat without pain, I have a complete pain-free ROM, don't have any clicking etc.).  My knee definitely is feeling somewhat better, however, based on the type of pain I am feeling, and some newer symptoms, I am not that confident in his diagnosis.  My newer symptoms are stiffness at the extreme lateral posterior aspect of my left knee.  As a result, I have started to suspect that I might have damaged my LCL, however I can't find any really good information online about the symptoms of an LCL sprain. All I can find are websites that explain the different grades of a sprained collateral ligament.  Does anybody know of any good web pages about this problem?

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »
Hi Ryan,
Here are a few sites where I found symptoms listed:

http;//www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/ilateralligament.html

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/knee/lateral_collateral_ligament_sprain_full.php

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihIH/WSIHW000/9339/25483.html

I found these by googling "LCL sprain and symptoms".
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.