Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cryo Cuffs, and tips for the day  (Read 6359 times)

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
Cryo Cuffs, and tips for the day
« on: August 13, 2007, 01:39:53 AM »
After reading about cryo cuffs on here I thought I would get myself one, and I'm so glad I did. I'm not post Op, but it has helped me control the pain and swelling from a torn meniscus and Bakers Cyst.

Tip number 1, if you haven't used a cuff, think about getting one, or a similiar product.

Tip number 2, if you have got a cuff, keep cold longer by making a giant ice cube. Instead of messing about with small cubes I now freeze some water in a zip lock sandwich bag, then I dump the whole bag into the resevoir and top up with water. When you are done, lift the bag of water out, pop it back in the freezer, and wait for it to become ice again.

Tip number 3, if you're a dog owner, the big ice cube is also great for dropping in fido's water bowl when the weather is hot.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
Re: Cryo Cuffs, and tips for the day
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:22:16 AM »
So glad you moved into the autoice age.  I don't think I could have made it without a cryotherapy unit.  Word to the wise
Don't buy DonJoy Iceman.  It has a 30 day warranty and if anything happens the entire unit has to be replaced.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 03:55:01 AM »
Thansk for the tip, I'll watch out for that one. At the moment I'm hoping that the knee will be fixed before I wear out the $30 off of ebay Cryo cuff, so whats a little water running down the leg every time you detatch the hose ;D
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline OrthoPatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »
My Dad got an infection in his knee after his arthroscopy which the doctors said may have been caused by a used cryocuff pad.  The word "used" and medical equipment probably should not be used in the same sentence.  If you buy one on Ebay, I think you're taking a huge gamble on your health.  And also many of them don't work- just listen to most people's complaints about trying to save a buck by getting it on Ebay.  Then they come home after surgery to find that they need another part to actually get the thing working again.  Buyer beware.  These units are cheap now on the internet   http://www.dme-direct.com/cold-therapy-product-unit-system/

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
Very good suggestion.  The unita listed on the site are reasonalby priced.  I have never heard of the problem of infection from a used unit but I can see how it could happen.   Maybe the only time you could use anything except a new unit would be if you had an injury that did not have any break in the skin from the fall or stitches.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline ianmthy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 04:33:32 PM »
has anyone tried the aircast cryo cuff i am still pre op but i think buying one just now could help the swelling and will be a bonus after the acl op  or is there a better one anyone knows of ?
ianmthy

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »
Thanks for the info on the cryo bad, i cant wait to order on getting ready for OATS and I'll deffinatley need it heck I need it now, thanks again ;D
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

support