Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: partial patellectomy  (Read 2484 times)

Offline blackcast

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • hello!
    • My Flickr
partial patellectomy
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:40:40 PM »
hello anyone who reads this.  i stumbled on this board, no pun intended, while searching the www for my issues, not all of my issues, or else i would be on a lot of message boards. 

july 4th, had partial patellectomy.  ive until 8/21 to remove the fifth! cast. 

i would like to hear from any others that have had the same procedure, and their outcome.  were you able to resume sports?  i was into running, do you think i can run successfully again without much pain?  everything ive read seems to say that im sorta SCREWED, literally and figuratively, as there are screws in my knee.

any comments would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
m
howdy

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: partial patellectomy
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:47:15 PM »
how much of a patella are you left with?
to the best of my knowledge the patella transfers force between the tibia and femur and prevents the quad tendon rupturing under strain, if you have some patella left then perhaps you will still be able to do sports.
where are the screws? ive a screw in the tibia - doesnt bother me a bit.

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline blackcast

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • hello!
    • My Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 04:38:41 PM »
i cant really say for sure as i have not seen the x-rays, referring to how much of my patella is left and where the screws are.  im thinking i have at least half of the patella remaining, and i think the screws were used to place the patella ligament up onto the good part that was left.  and in that i mean, the screws may have been placed on the anterior, or possibly the posterior patella.

i have a laundry list of questions for my OS when I see him next.  ill get the technical information then.

what i mostly want to hear are other stories of people, or people who know people that have had the same or similar procedure.  id like to hear about other people's prognosis'.

thank you for the reply, im glad your screws dont hurt.

m
howdy

Offline blackcast

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • hello!
    • My Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:48:18 AM »
 :o
i thought yall' was some knee geeks and aint barely nobody has had anything to report.  some geeks you are.

my knee is f%$cked all to hell and i may never be able to use it like i did before.  i dont know bout yall, but i liked to run and be active, not just sit there and chomp pills...i aint saying thats what yall do, but ive put this g-dam post out there for days now on some knee geek shiot, and i anit got nuthin!

tell me to go away if yall cant provide some knee geekness.

howdy

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:20:16 AM »
First of all, you need to calm down and watch your language.........there are younger people on the board.  Secondly, it is difficult to answer your questions without a bit more info.

Why did you have a partial patellectomy?  The location of the screws would be nice to know. Are there other issues with your knee?? 

I have had a partial patellectomy, but when that procedure was done, in conjunction with another procedure, I was already in need of a TKR.....so, I really can't answer your questions about returning to sports or running.  IF the partial patellectomy is the only problem with your knee, then I can't see any reason that you couldn't return to sports and running as the extensor mechanism is still intact. 

If you have any specific questions and can ask them in a civilized manner, I would be happy to try to answer them.

Good luck with your healing and getting answers to your questions.

Patty
P.S.  You may get more replies if you post your story in the patella-femoral section.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
blackcast, i agree with Patty0513, young people use this board for information too and bad language is just not acceptable.

There are a couple of reasons people may be reluctant to respond, they may feel they have nothing useful to offer you if they are unfamiliar with your procedure, or more information may be needed to give a reasonable response.

I myself am completely unfamiliar with your procedure, but I did respond to you initially to try and draw more information out of you so that perhaps someone else reading the topic would have something to offer.

If you browse this website you may find some useful information, but if you are rude and use bad language you can expect that people will not bother to entertain you.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline blackcast

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • hello!
    • My Flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 01:15:27 PM »
sorry, im frustrated. 

ive never had a knee problem in my life till now.

ive searches on this board, and out of all the post, i havent found much.  is there not anybody who knows an outcome of this type of surgery? 

im completely weary of PT.  i dont know how painful it will be.  i dont know if i wil have to resume pain meds.  ive got so many questions.  maybe i should just ask my doctor.

thanks for the replies, and again...sorry for the  language.

m
howdy

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 01:22:05 PM »
Blackcast, you post had only been up for just over a day before you went ballistic.  If you want help, thats not the way to get it.  I don't have time to read every day so I can't answer as soon as a post appears.  I am not one who sits around popping pills and doing nothing even though both of my knees are pretty messed up.  

Now I have had a total patellectomy.  I was still able to do lots of things.  You should still be able to rehab you leg to the point where you can get back to most things.  I don't know you complete knee history or what exactly was done so there is no way that I can say or compare it to what I have gone thru.  When I had my TKR I also had an experimental procedure where a piece of bone that was removed for the prosthesis was placed inside the patella tendon giving me a pseudo patella.  It is smaller than a normal patella but serves the same function.  It has improved my function so very much from before.  I am still limited because of the TKR and because the knee is so messed up.  Plus my left knee is pretty messed up too.  

My knees were messed up in my teens.  I am now 54 and am still walking around.  Its because of good OS and PT.  If not I would be in a wheelchair.  I can't do all I would like to do but I can enjoy life and do alot that I could not do a few years ago.  You learn to accept what you can't do and be happy about what you can do.  

You need to get answers from you OS.  We can encourage you and relate our own experiences.  We can support you.  We CAN do this but only if you are civil and polite.  Having temper tantrums is not acceptable behavior.  
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline blackcast

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • hello!
    • My Flickr
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 08:06:44 PM »
 :-*
according to my mom, ive had temper tantrums my whole life.  ballistic?  thats funny, cause that was really nothing compared to what im capable of.  im  not proud of it.  im a redhead, hotheaded, and im gaining control of this malfunction.  heh.

sorry again, folks.  so sorry.  its obvious that ive some issues, one of them being holed up here in this cast!  its driving me bonkers, leading up to ballistic posts and everything.  it seems that at least everybody has one common bond here, that being a messed up knee, and with that comes some pain.  im sure there are lots of people that have gone thru alot  more than me.  and thats what i want to hear.... :'(....is some stories of great recovery!  thats all. 

i think i said it earlier, but the very night before my accident, i had entered my first 5K race, i had just gotten into really good shape, and i was so happy about it, then BOOM!  no more running, dancing, walking around.period.  i guess i took my knee for granted, and karma kicked my hind end. boo hoo for me.  sorry for babbling on. 

m
howdy

support