Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondral Allograft - Surgery Wednesday  (Read 2973 times)

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osteochondral Allograft - Surgery Wednesday
« on: March 29, 2003, 09:04:04 AM »
Well I got the phone call I have been waiting for.  My surgeons office called today saying an osteochondral allgraft is available.  I am having surgery on Wednesday.  For some reason, I didn't believe my surgeon when he said that it would be a 6 to 8 week wait.  After reading this board, I was sure it would be 4 - 6 months.  However it was 6-1/2 weeks.  If anyone has any words of advice, things to do and not do, I would appreciate it.  I am having a very large portion of the knee replaced, including weight bearing and non-weight bearing.  Also curious about crutches, specifically Hope (brand) crutches.  Since I am going to be non-weight bearing for some time, I want to be as comfortable as possible.

Thanks...J
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Osteochondral Allograft - Surgery Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 04:30:26 PM »
Hi J

I don't have any specific advice; just wanted to tell you my neighbor just had knee replacement surgery and says it's the best thing he ever did.

Good luck to you in your surgery and please let us know how you are doing! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 12:34:16 AM »
Hi!
I had oats done 6 months ago; an autograft, not an  allograft.  I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks and using a cpm machine 3/4 hrs a day for that time, too.
To prepare for your surgery:  lots of tips have been posted here, for example, shower stool, flexible shower head [ as in hose], fanny packs for transporting things, etc etc. I also found it handy to have a wheelchair; that way I could get around our apt much faster.
Good luck to you, I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you might have about oats.
Take care
MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline JessToni

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 10:36:31 PM »
best of luck with your surgery!!!  you will have to post afterwards and let us know how it goes!  i have to admit though i am a bit jealous :)  i am still waiting for my graft since november.  i just had an arthroscopy done last fri to clean the knee out in the mean time so i am not recovering from that.  again best luck!!!

Jess

Offline kellyg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 02:02:55 AM »
Jess,
I have been waiting since last September.  Does doctor give you any hope for the near future?
Jane

Offline Kari

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 04:49:21 AM »
Wow. You must be relieved and excited.
I am very anxious to see how you do sith this surgery...I am considering it...
Maybe you could post a thread with your progress for use to follow.  I'd like to really know what I would be getting into.
P.S.  What country do you live in?
K
1994: ACL reconstruction
Aug 2002:  Tibial Plateau fracture
July 2003:  Osteochondral allograft; 1 year non weight bearing

Offline JessToni

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 04:42:58 PM »
Jane,

The doctor told me that he finds his patients usually wait 4-6 months, but there is no guarantee.  I am at about four and a half months now.  It is so frustrating not knowing how long it will take and just waiting and waiting.  I guess we just have to hang in there :)  Has your doctor given you any indication of how long it will be?  

Jess

Offline kellyg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2003, 06:40:20 PM »
Jess,

I was told it could be up to six months.  

Jane

support