Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I did everything right, and still got scar tissue :(  (Read 9136 times)

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
I did everything right, and still got scar tissue :(
« on: August 08, 2007, 04:13:54 AM »
Hi Guys

Just wanted to let you know that even when doing everything right post op, scar tissue still developed. I am now 12 weeks post op, went to Cinn and saw the doc today. I will be having open surgery for scar tissue removal . I have it all anteriorly. At first , it was thought I had a bad case of Patellar tendonitis after surgery, but it worsened, so by 3 weeks post op, I was beginning to suspect it.  I started feeling stuck down around 5 weeks post op. Did all the right things with gentle PT, mobes, cpm after surgery, e-stem, ice machine, crutches, diclofenac ( prescription anti-inflammatory), elevation. Despite that, knee was very painful, swollen and alot of heat. At 7 weeks post op, Dr confirmed my suspicion of scar tissue. I was given a cortisone shot, placed on high dose Celebrex and asprin for a week , then medrol dose pak. PT was adjusted more to where I was only doing what I felt I could do, so the knee did not get aggravated  I even layed off a week to calm things down. The medrol pak knocked most of the heat and swelling out, but still quite painful to walk ( can't ditch crutches) and feeling stuck down under the patella tendon, below patella. 

I forgot to say , I also did 4 weeks of ultra sound and Iontophoresis.

How do you win  ???

Pam
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 03:51:49 PM by missmyknee »
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: I did everything right, and still got scar tissue :(
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:39:36 PM »
Scar tissue forms after any injury or surgery. There's nothing you can do about it other than try to keep it from adhering to things inside. But if you're prone to making lots of scar tissue then you are going to form it no matter what you do. It just happens, it's nobody's fault.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 03:07:31 AM »
Pam:

I'm so sorry. It's so frustrating, isn't it? Even with the right OS and PT and the right protocols, there's still no guarantee. I just remember my OS telling me that it wasn't my fault, there was nothing I could have done to prevent it, etc. I was so determined I wasn't going to let the scar tissue come raging back after my TKR, I was so disappointed, in so much pain, and near tears all the time. Luckily, the MUA, proper pain management and a strong anti-inflammatory, the CPM and PT really came together for me and the scar tissue didn't come back to cause any major problems. (I won't say "no problems," but nothing I can't live with.) Let's just hope and pray that yours can be brought under control, too. You've sure been through too much!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Sarahreindeer12

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:53:19 AM »
Pam, when you have a genetic predispostion to develop scar tissue, it requires outside intervention...PT, etc. won't do the trick.

Would your surgeon consider a.) injecting steroid into the knee when open on the table? b.) providing low dosage radiation?

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:48:25 PM »
Janet and Jathib

Yes, this is very frustrating. This particular surgery just was more difficult anteriorly. My notes say the patella tendon was incised along with the med retinaculum, to get to where procedure needed to be done , so no wonder. It was just so painful from day one of surgery and never calmed down. You get to know your knee so well, that you literally can tell when it starts to form. This will be the 7th or 8th time I am having the scar tissue removed, 4th since TKR  and only 2 times have been scopes, the rest all open. My problem is scar tissue just wraps all over the tendons and ligaments and soft tissues, even compressed part of my saphenous nerve one time requiring nerve decompression and debridement., Some of it is getting pinched, I think, when I walk.  I was at 120 flexion , 2 weeks post op, and went down to about 105- 110 , on a good day, now. Fortunately extension has remained good, even tho during the first 5 weeks it was 5-6 ( I did hanging weights of 15lbs, 4 times/day for extension ) and my stability is doing well. I still wear my custom defiance. I just feel we tried everything possible to prevent it. I forgot to mention I also did ultra sound for 4 weeks and Iontophoresis.

Sarah

No , he's never mentioned those 2 treatments to do during surgery. Very interesting what you've been thru and how much the steroid tx is helping you out, after so long. I was glad to read how well you are doing  ;D

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline QBknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:23:15 PM »
Pam,

At least with the open procedure Dr. Noyes will be able to have a great view of the knee and get rid of the rotten stuff!  You may want to see if he uses Seprafilm, which can be inserted during a open procedure.  It didn' work for me, but is supposed to help reduce scar tissue.   This for sure should be your last hurdle.  Best of luck with this one!

Dan
5/90 - Microfracture, 11/02 - ACI harvesting scope, 09/03 - Bone graft-Scar Resection -10/27/03 - Manip w scope 2/2/05- Posterior Capsular Release, Anterior Interval Release/staph infection, 3/14/05 wash out scope 12/11/06- Scar resection, lat/med releases

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 01:19:39 AM »
Pam:

I know what you mean about knowing your knee well and feeling the scar tissue forming. After my TKR, I could tell the exact day the scar tissue was causing problems, about day ten. I woke up that morning and couldn't lift my foot off the ground behind me. I couldn't sit dangling my leg without it bringing tears to my eyes. It was just so incredibly painful, I couldn't believe it. Even with all my arthrofibrosis problems before, I never had intolerable pain....just more a functional deficit and more pain that I would have wanted. But after the TKR, things were different. Even being "socked" with all the different pain meds, it only kept it barely tolerable until I had the MUA.

When is your surgery? Please let us know how you do.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 04:44:34 AM »
Janet

Yes, you know exactly what I am talking about. My pain levels were going to a 9, it was so tender to touch. I was doing PT with a therapist in my hometown and it was just getting so painful to do. PT was constantly being adjusted. My knee was so hot and painful. When I went back to Cinn, they just told me do my own PT and put me on basically only what I felt I could do, they even wanted me to lay off for a week when I needed to. What was really surprising was I was doing pool walking for 20-30 min twice a week and I couldn't believe how painful it was to do even that.

I haven't scheduled surgery yet......I have to see how long I need to be in Cinn. My husband has a very heavy business travel schedule coming up so I think I'm looking at late Sept possibly early Oct.

Dan

Thanks for wishing me luck Dan  ;D

I've never heard of Seprafilm. I'll have to ask about it and learn more about it.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline skibum9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 03:09:54 AM »
Pam

Sorry we didn't get to chat on Tuesday. I can feel your pain. When the Dr did his fly by in the morning, he decided that I needed a MUA and that it would be done the following day. I like you did everything right following my patella tendonding lenghtening procedure, I could feel the scar tissue building and it was just stiffer, more difficult to move, and and the pain has remained steady since the surgery. I'm glad I stayed in Cinci as long as I did and will continue to do so for several more weeks.  Will post my results in my thread in a couple of days.

Let us know when your surgery is and best of luck with the outcome.

Sharon
11/06 - ORIF left patella
1/07 - wire removal with MUA
2/07 - LOA with MUA
3/07 - diagnosed with AF, patella baja
5/07 - scar tissue removal
7/07 - z-plasty patella tendon lengthening & reconstruction
1/08 - hardware/scar tissue removal
3/09 - scheduled for TKR

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 03:45:30 AM »
Hi Sharon

Yes, I wish we had more time to chat. It seems we were on opposite areas of the PT room and office. Sorry to hear you had to have the MUA....I hope things improved after that.

I called the office today to ask how long in Cinn this time. I was told 2 weeks. I had talked to the apt rental gal yesterday to discuss the transfer of info over to CSM. She asked how I was doing, I told her about the upcoming surgery. She said for me to give her a call and see what was available. She said with a short stay , I would have to pay hotel tax , but she quoted me a price for a 2BD apt and it was still cheaper than the hotel we just paid for.

I'll call back to Cinn on Monday to get things scheduled. I'm looking at 1-2 week of Oct or 2-3 week of Oct. They said they would accommodate any dates I needed to fit with husbands travel schedule.

Nice to hear from you and hope you are doing better.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:54:46 AM »
I have my date for surgery. It is Oct 10th. I'll be there for 2 weeks. 

Got lots of planning ahead of me with kids back in school.  :P

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline skibum9

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »
Pam -

I'm pulling for you. This scar tissue thing is definitely no fun.

If you end up at the Glenbridge Manors apts, the only issue I have run into is that everyone routinely parks in the handicapped spaces. The parking is not convienent to some of the front doors, so the lazy people use the handicapped spots. Every day on my way in and out, there will be 10 to 15 cars in the handicapped spots and only 2 have handicapped tags. Fortunately we get back before everyone gets home from work and it has only been a problem for us a few times.

Sharon
11/06 - ORIF left patella
1/07 - wire removal with MUA
2/07 - LOA with MUA
3/07 - diagnosed with AF, patella baja
5/07 - scar tissue removal
7/07 - z-plasty patella tendon lengthening & reconstruction
1/08 - hardware/scar tissue removal
3/09 - scheduled for TKR

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 04:22:39 AM »
Hi Sharon

I had a similar experience in the apt complex I stayed in. Only 1 handicap space and it was a little ways from my apt. Mostly we got a place right in front of the apt because we got back before others got home from work. However , Cincinnati as a whole, does not have adequate handicap parking in their businesses and their spaces aren't placed any closer than a regular parking space.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
3 Fusions

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 06:37:22 PM »
An update- Dec 16, 07

I thought it would be interesting to link this thread to my other thread on Open Debridement and Proximal Z-plasty.

I had surgery on Oct 10. I was on CPM, e-stem, patella mobes, high dose anti-inflammatories, gentle PT, icing and crutches post-op. I had persistant burning, tender to touch, needle stick feelings, and sharp throbbing pain below my patella and going out to the far medial side. At my seven week post-op check , I was diagnosed with scar tissue compressing my nerve and neuroma, in several places. I received 2 cortisone shots and more high dose anti-inflammatories and ultra sound. You can read the rest of scar tissue battle and post-op story that tells the progression of the scar tissue on the following link:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=39153.0

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
TKR