Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: what to expect after knee arthroscopy??  (Read 5232 times)

Offline mummy24angels

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
what to expect after knee arthroscopy??
« on: August 06, 2007, 07:48:42 PM »
Hi,im new to this so i hope i have put my question in the right place!!!.I had a knee arthroscopy 10days ago.The doctor told me to have two weeks rest and then i would be fine,at the moment i can barely walk anywhere without being in extreme pain,i can't bend my leg,i can't put it straight and my knee keep's swelling up.Im suppose to be going on holiday in two weeks but can't help but feel the whole knee thing is putting a dampner on our family trip abroard.
I have four children and im finding simple house hold tasks almost impossible please could someone help me by telling me is this normal? how long will it be before i can walk normal etc etc???
I would be most grateful for any advice,many thanks all.
                                                                             Shelley XX

Offline friendsfan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile!
Re: what to expect after knee arthroscopy??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 07:55:05 PM »
hi, i had a arthroscopy 12 weeks ago and im still unable to bend/straighten my knee...
after 12 weeks of phyiso we have it bending to 90 degrees when it is forced i cant get this on my own
but this isnt the case with everyone
good luck

5-3-07 injured knee-no ROM
2-5-07 LK scope + MUA
26-6-08-LK TTT and scope
10-12-08-LK MUA
12-6-09-RK scope
26-8-09 RK TTT

Gary064

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 08:07:43 PM »
Hi Shelley,
             It depends how invasive they were. I had one done 26th June 07, up to 14 days i had a very sharp pain at the back of the knee and also i could not straighten it. I went to my physio, she said it can take up to 12 weeks to get better, thats after most surgery. On the 15th day the pain had gone and i could walk normally. Don't forget that it will be inflamed etc, are you taking meds etc? and try not to do too much, it won't help the inflammation.

All the best

Gary x

Offline fluffysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »
Hi, sorry about the pain.  Have you been given any physical therapy exercises to do?  When I had an arthroscopy, I was given range of motion exercises and quad sets to start with.  I had a friend who recently had an arthroscopy, sent home, and suffered for weeks before I talked her into calling her primary care doc since her OS wouldn't suggest anything.  She was sent to PT and improved quite a bit, though she still has pain.

I hope you can get some relief with PT.  Have you discussed this with your surgeon or another doctor?  I did really well after my last arthroscopy; was walking miles within weeks.  I wish you well!

Kathy
1991 lft menisectomy
1994 lft ACL
1998 rt menisectomy
1999 rt ACL.
Large chondral defect, medial femoral condyle, grade 4 chondromalacia femoral trochlea, patellofemoral compartment lft knee Both shoulder acromioplasty, '01, '05 
'86 compression fracture of T-7
SI joint hypermobile & arthritis

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 12:33:56 AM »
Almost anything is normal after an arthroscopy. Most of the time if there's only minor work people are walking in a few days and back to normal within a month. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict who's going to do well and who isn't.

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 02:17:05 AM »
Almost anything is normal after an arthroscopy. Most of the time if there's only minor work people are walking in a few days and back to normal within a month. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict who's going to do well and who isn't.

Wow, I'll say. I had two arthroscopies last winter both for meniscal trimming along with a general scrape and flush of the area and I had most of my flex back and all of my extension back by the second night.

Shelley, what did they do in your scope?

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline mummy24angels

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 09:49:52 PM »
Hi,im new to this so i hope i have put my question in the right place!!!.I had a knee arthroscopy 10days ago.The doctor told me to have two weeks rest and then i would be fine,at the moment i can barely walk anywhere without being in extreme pain,i can't bend my leg,i can't put it straight and my knee keep's swelling up.Im suppose to be going on holiday in two weeks but can't help but feel the whole knee thing is putting a dampner on our family trip abroard.
I have four children and im finding simple house hold tasks almost impossible please could someone help me by telling me is this normal? how long will it be before i can walk normal etc etc???
I would be most grateful for any advice,many thanks all.
                                                                             Shelley XX
I do not know how to reply to each lovely person that has responded to my post but i would like to say a big thankyou to you all.I went to my first pt appointment today and what a difference.I have found out today that during my arthroscopy they removed the debris from crushed cartlridge they also sorted out a bone defect (i think they filed this!!!) and they found bone bruising.Maybe all of this explains the pain!!!.Hopefully my walking will improve with time,i feel like i have forgotten to walk .Thanks again kindest regards Shelley.