Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Robs ACL Allograft Diary - MCL & Lateral Meniscus Trim Also  (Read 86856 times)

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 7, 8, 9
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 03:48:38 PM »
Day 7 – 7/24/07:

It’s been 1 week and I am already feeling much better (the first 2 days were rough but each day gets better).

I am still sleeping well and will probably start sleeping in my bed upstairs soon.

I stopped taking all pain killers today (except for some Advil before PT sessions or if I am feeling more pain than usual – typically I have very little pain).

My PT exercises get a little easier each time, although I still struggle with the heel slides (I’ve noticed my arms get tired pulling on the towel). I’ve added doing 2 sets of 10 pushups at each PT session (checked with my PT and he said as long as I keep the brace locked for this it would be great).

Took another shower today and it’s getting a little easier.

Day 8 – 7/25/07:

Slept on the couch again last night but didn’t feel as comfortable (I think it might be that the 12 hour release pain killers were helping me sleep a little).

Basically same as usual today – did my 2 sets of PT exercises (with pushups) and overall am feeling a little better everyday.

I haven’t really mentioned it but I am still on my couch 24/7 (except when going to the bathroom or doing Pt) and I also leave my brace on all the time (even while sleeping) unlocked. I am also icing most of the time and almost always keep my leg elevated (even while sleeping). I also use both crutches to get around.

Day 9 – 7/26/07:

Slept in my bed last night – didn’t have a great night sleep (just could not get comfortable). For the last 1.5 hours I took my brace off and didn’t elevate and slept better.

Took a shower in the morning and today was the first time I could really notice the shape of my knee – leg is really starting to look normal.

Went to PT today and was told to start to add ankle weights (just a pound or two) to the lateral straight leg raises. I was also given a new stronger exercises band for the calf exercises. In addition I was told to bump from 2 sets of all my exercises to 3 sets. My flexion is up to 78 now (from 58) and my extension is close to 0 (a couple degrees off).

Did my home PT plus pushups.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:40:39 AM by Rob_W »
Pre/Post-Op Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=38125.0
ACL Exercise Journal
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=38562.0
Injured 5/13/07 (ACL Grade 3, MCL Grade 2, Lateral Meniscus) - Right Knee
7/17/07 ACLr/Menisectomy Allograft

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 10, 11
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »
Day 10 – 7/27/07:

Had another lousy night sleep on my bed (I guess I quickly got used to the couch) and I just could not get comfortable with this brace on (I prefer to start out sleeping on my side but can’t really do it, even with pillows).

Home PT is pretty much same as usual except I am starting to work extra heel slides. What I do is 5 heel slides between each exercises (this seems to work better for me).

Today was the first day I took my brace off while lying on my couch for a few hours (still with leg elevated). I should also mention that I have left my ace bandages on since day 1 (they go from my ankle to above my knee) – I take them off only for showers and my PT visits.

Day 11 – 7/28/07:

Again, not a great night sleep (although better than the past 2 nights). I tried sleeping without the brace but around 4:30am put it back on.

Today my knee felt a little sore and I almost skipped doing my exercises this morning – I ended up doing them anyhow and by the end my knee felt much better (this has happened quite a few times since this point and each time the same results – so I tend to just do them regardless, although some sessions I will take easier than others).

Today was also the first day I used my home gym to work some lat pull downs and biceps (two of the exercises I felt I could easily do). I have definitely lost some strength since surgery – still felt good to do them.

One odd thing I noticed today is the skin on the bottom of my right foot, and in between the toes (this is my injured leg) is starting to peel. I called the doctor and he said it’s fine (most likely due to keeping the leg elevated and compressed almost 24/7 for the past 11 days).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:49:35 PM by Rob_W »
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 12, 13
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »
Day 12 – 7/29/07:

Had my first decent nights sleep in a few days – slept with the brace on, on my back, with one small pillow under my heel.

Starting to get some flexion while doing my heel slides, and still doing 2 sets of pushups each time I do PT. Today I started to sit on the edge of my kitchen counter and just let my leg hang a little – it doesn’t hang straight down and I am not assisting it yet – I would guess it’s about 80 degrees flexion. Extension still looks to me to be right around 0.

Tonight I went for my first walk outside up my street (with both crutches). It was tougher than I thought on my upper body. I would say I walked for about 10 minutes. I am doing partial weight on my bad leg and just trying to walk as close to normal as possible (had my brace on but not locked).

I also tried getting in and out of my car today – it was pretty easy (got real good at this when I first injured my leg) so I can use my arms to support all of my weight and just move in and out that way.

Lastly, tonight was the first time I shaved in the shower (because I can now stand for a longer period of time – still keeping most of the weight on my good leg).

Day 13 – 7/30/07:

Had another decent night sleep (about 6 hours and waking up once). I started with the brace on, on my back, with heel elevated and about ½ way through stopped elevating.

My upper body felt slightly sore today either from the gym workout and/or extra walking yesterday.

PT was uneventful today and I went for a shorter walk today outside.

At this point my PT suggested I stop using my compression bandage and don’t elevate as much as I have been – he said it’s time to let the body start to deal with the swelling on its own (the swelling is minimal anyhow). I am also only going to be icing after PT sessions or if I am up for a while (I still spend most of my time on the couch). My PT also said I should keep doing the mini 10 minute walks at least once a day. He said I should expect some more swelling and the feeling of blood rushing down my leg when I first get up (both were minimal from this point on).

This was the first day I took no Advil during the day or before bed (so at this point all I take are my supplements that I was taking before surgery).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:00:21 PM by Rob_W »
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 14, 15
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 05:28:09 PM »
Day 14 – 7/31/07:

It’s been two weeks since surgery – seems to have gone by pretty quickly.

Had a medium night sleep last night.

Went to PT today and my flexion measured at 85 and extension still at 3 (or is it -3, either way, not quite 0 but it looks straight). I was told just keep doing what I am doing and don’t feel that I have to push either one (my protocol limits me to 90 degrees flexion for the 1st 6 weeks).

At Pt we did 2 new things which I was told I only need to do at PT (not at home). One was using the exercise band around my foot anchored away from me so I pull against it to pull my toes back towards me (I do this at home once in a while when my girls are around since they can hold it for me – I have nothing to anchor on to).

The 2nd exercise is basically just quad sets but hitched up to a mini electric stimulation hand held devise. Two pads are attached to my leg (one close to the knee and one further up the thigh). I was told to do 30 reps of flexing the quads as hard as I could. The machine tells me when to flex, and if I contract hard enough it will add some current to flex me even harder – I hold this for 5 seconds and then it has me rest for about 5 seconds. It keeps adjusting up or down in intensity to match how hard I can flex.

Measured my flexion today at 85.

At home I tried doing some heel slides using the wall (letting gravity bring my foot down) but found when I had to raise it back up it was very painful in the front of my knee just under the knee cap (PT told me this type of pain is normal any time I try to extend my leg on my own, especially if there is any resistance).

Used my home gym today to do incline bench, lat pull down and bicep curls (this is what I will do for the next few weeks). I will do this workout twice a week.

I tried my stationary bike today and did about 6 ½ revolutions and then my quad started to burn (pretty sad).

Went for another 10 minute walk and really focused on my gait (with two crutches) and also tried the length of my driveway with one crutch (seemed OK). Lastly I took a few baby steps with no crutches and this too was pain free (I did all of this with my brace on).

Day 15 – 8/1/07:

I slept well last night – only woke up once briefly. It was the first night I used no wrap, brace or elevation and slept on my back the whole night.

I took it a little easier during my 2nd PT session today because my knee felt a little worked (probably from everything I did yesterday).

I did about a dozen ½ revolutions on my bike today (quads didn’t seem to burn today). My PT told me it would be great for me to work these partial turns on the bike about 4 or 5 times a week.

My knee is looking pretty good now although my calf is very quickly disappearing (I have lost at least an inch around in my calf – my thigh doesn’t look a lot smaller but that is probably due to some swelling).. Of all my incisions, only the portal incision that the blood seeped out of initially is a little painful to the touch – all the others feel fine.

I took my car out for a 5 minute drive today – My leg did not feel comfortable and the muscles in the front of my shin felt overworked. I did all the breaking with my left foot (got good at this pre-surgery) and will continue to drive like this for a while I am guessing.

Showering is getting much easier each time and today was the first day I think I wore my brace for a total of 30 minutes the entire day (I was told when I am just hanging around my house that was fine – and I am still spending most of my time on the couch).

I weighed myself today and I have dropped 11 pounds since the day before the surgery!! I imagine most of this is muscle loss – probably most from my injured leg, but since my lifting feels quite a bit weaker overall I think I must have lost some muscle mass over all.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:37:24 PM by Rob_W »
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 16, 17
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »
Day 16 – 8/2/07:

Sleeping is getting back to normal – I am starting to fall asleep on my sides with a pillow between my legs (still not very comfortable doing this).

Met with my OS for my 1st post op visit. They are very happy with where I am at at this point. I was given the official go ahead to start driving (my protocol says 4 to 6 weeks) and was told at 3 weeks I could start 1 crutch and 4 weeks get rid of that and maybe the brace too (again, this is ahead of protocol). He has basically said at this point leave these decisions up to my PT and that my PT can break protocol if he feels I am ready. I meet with my doctor again on 10/1.

Went straight from Doctors to PT. PT told me since my leg is strong enough I can start 1 crutching now (and take breaks from it if my knee feels sore). He has also given me the OK to start working past 90 degrees flexion – he said that is there to protect the incisions but he said mine are healing up so well I can go as far as I feel comfortable. He had me do the upright bike today and within about 1 or 2 minutes I got my first backwards full revolution on the bike (I did one more after that and then decided that was plenty for the first time).

I also did some leg press today using both legs and 30 pounds – this was more for working the flexion than strength building and I was told I could do as little or much with my injured leg (I probably did most of the work with my good leg).

At home I did my PT and went for a short walk with 1 crutch. I am starting to assist my leg in flexion when hanging leg from counter (getting past 90 now).

Day 17 – 8/3/07:

Slept 7 hours straight last night and I am feeling more comfortable lying on both sides.

Did my PT and used my stationary bike (got 1 full revolution pedaling backwards so was happy – wasn’t sure if my recumbent would be different than there upright).

I’ve started to do my pushups without my brace (pretty easy) and I am easily popping up off the floor when done with exercises (over the past week this gets easier and faster).

I did a fair amount of really quick trips around the house with just the one crutch today (no brace) and it feels good. I also worked some walking with no crutches (and no brace) and this felt good too – slow, but good.

Took my car out for a 14 minute drive but made the mistake of wearing flip-flops. I kept having to fiddle with the one on my right foot because it kept slipping (I wear my brace unlocked whenever leaving the house).
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 18
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 05:55:28 PM »
Day 18 – 8/4/07:

Still sleeping well and each night I feel more comfortable sleeping on both sides (with the pillow).

Did my PT sessions today, lifting and stationary bike (and did 25 full revolutions on my bike – 3 backwards and 22 forward). Still not pedaling fast enough to turn the bike on.

I went out for two trips today, the first was for 30 minutes, I drove to watch my girls at there swim class. The second was later in the evening (about 20 minutes) to pick up some wine. Feels real good to actually get out. Both times I just took the one crutch and used that.

This was also the first day I can put my sock on by myself – I can finally do everything on my own!

I used one crutch all today, and a few short walks with no crutches – I think tomorrow I will use two crutches every now and then because my leg feels pretty worked tonight.

These past few days I feel I have really turned a corner – I feel much more like my usual self, am getting around a lot better and am really starting to see that my leg should get back to normal (with plenty of time and hard work of course).
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Re: Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »
hey rob, sounds like you're pretty much on track with good support from the OS and PT.

Sounds like you could have used one of those plastic yard chairs for use in the shower initially. At least your good quad got some work, continued good luck to you.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Re: Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks JB - I thought about the yard chair (I have a bunch and my shower is large enough) but I decided that I would try it without and see how it goes (one of the shower walls has a handle so that made me feel safer - and the floor is not slippery at all). The first couple of showers were tough (quivering left leg (my uninjured leg) by the time I got out) but each time got easier and easier and now I can stand normally in there and shower almost as if I am not injured.
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 19, 20
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »
Day 19 - 8/5/07

I slept just over 7 hours last night – still working on sleeping on my sides – I start off OK but then after about 5 minutes my leg starts to ache (I can still sometimes fall asleep before this happens).

Did both sets of my PT exercises and got 40 revolutions on my bike (I don’t need to work up to it – I can get it the first time). I am also starting to do at least 1 set of my PT strengthening exercises with my good leg.

I went for a 15 minute walk outside today with just 1 crutch and then when I got back I did a short walk (about 40 steps) without crutches – both walks were pain free but I do notice my balance in my injured leg is definitely off (not enough to make me fall down, if you watched me walk you probably wouldn’t notice – but I feel it). This is the same as the last time I sprained my ankle and had to re-train the prioproception in the ankle (I did a lot of exercises on my wobble board, and eyes closed balancing exercises).

I was supposed to take it easy today but my knee was feeling up to doing a little extra was I pushed myself a little more – towards the end of the day I used both crutches to get around the house to give my leg a small break.

I also used my Jacuzzi for the first time today – I kept my leg propped up to keep the incisions from soaking although I did dunk my leg about 3 times (OS gave me permission to do this, just not to soak it until after 4 weeks).

Day 20 - 8/6/07:

Slept well last night although my leg still starts to ache if I am on my sides for longer than 5 minutes.

PT was more of the same and on my bike I did 45 full revolutions today (I could feel my quads starting to get tired by the end). Still also doing PT exercises with my good leg and will be doing this every time. I tried using my foam roller today to hit my glutes, quads, hamstrings and IT band but not sure I am quite ready for that yet (a lot of movement and I worry I might bang my leg and hurt the knee – I’ll check with my PT when he thinks would be a good time for me to start these again).

I went out for about 1 hour and 20 minutes today (took my girls for some lunch, a play area and then stopped by a store). My lower leg (below the knee) was really bothering me on the first drive about 5 minutes into it. I adjusted my brace (had it to tight) and this seemed to help. I still notice however that as I drive my right foot really starts to ache (I feel it in my toes and my Achilles tendon of the heel – almost feels like the circulation isn’t quite right). I also get a very similar feeling when I just sit and let my legs hang, but only in my right foot and this is without the brace on (I’ll ask PT about this).

I mixed up using two crutches (for my long trip out) and 1 crutch today.
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 21
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 12:24:39 AM »
Day 21 – 8/7/07:

3 Weeks as of today (or was it yesterday…).

I slept OK last night – about 6 hours. My lower back was sore so every couple of hours I shifted to one side (about 1 or 2 minutes then leg would start to ached slightly), then the other side (same ache) and then to my back for more sleep.

I went to PT today and after some e-stim and heat did the stationary bike for 6 minutes (I averaged about 30 revolutions per minute) and then 30 reps on the leg press. I then did my regular exercises and after some quad sets with the hand held electric stim machine we checked my range. My flexion was at 92 (I could have done more but didn’t want to push to hard) and my extension was 2 degrees into hyper-extension (not sure if this is -2 or 2…) so my ROM was 94 today. I was told since I really shouldn’t be at hyper-extension at this point I should lay off any exercises that were working on extension (maybe do them lightly every other day just for maintenance) and I could stop propping my leg when I was seated on the couch (I was doing this at least 20 minutes every other hour).

I didn’t use my crutches at PT today and my PT told me at this point I don’t need to use them when in a controlled environment (like my house) unless my leg was getting tired. He also said the same for my brace.

I asked about the aches I was getting in my foot when driving (starts to ache after about 10 minutes) or if I just sit and let the leg hang straight down.  I was told this was OK and would gradually go away.

For the rest of the day at home I did not use my crutches, and I also went for a 5 minute walk on my street with no crutches (I didn’t wear my brace either but next time I will because my leg started to get pretty tired by the end of the walk).

I later did my 2nd set of PT at home and my leg was feeling really tired (a good feeling). I think I will be sore tomorrow so might take it easier (I keep saying this every post but then feel up for more the next day – today I really worked hard so we will see).
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 22
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 12:54:33 AM »
Day 22 – 8/8/07:

I slept pretty well last night and also fell asleep on my sides after waking up a couple of times. My knee did feel a little stiff and/or swollen when I got up – probably due to working a little harder yesterday overall. I started the day hanging my legs off the side of the bed and worked my flexion to get it to 90 (I do this every morning) and then iced my knee (I usually don’t do this in the morning).

I decided I would go easier on my home PT today so basically just went through the motions. I decided I would also jump on my stationary bike and just pedal for 1 minute to loosen up the knee. Today was the first day I wore my sneakers when riding so had to move the seat back about 1 inch. I must not have locked it in place and on the 1st revolution (when my injured knee was bent the most) the seat unexpectedly slid forward about 1 inch and I had a sharp shooting pain in the knee (I think it was the knee cap, or maybe just below the knee cap). I immediately got off the bike and tested putting weight on my inured leg and it felt fine. I then hopped on my rower and did some very light rowing (really just sliding back and forth) for about 3 minutes – again the knee felt good. So I jumped back on the bike, made sure the seat was locked and then pedaled for 1 minute with minimal pain (the same feeling I usually get when biking – like I am stretching the quads). As I was heading back upstairs I still wanted to test the leg so I took one step up leading with my injured leg first and using the railing for some assistance just to see how it would feel – surprisingly it felt good. I also noticed my knee felt a little looser (in a good way) while walking. I then iced my leg. I’ll check with my PT tomorrow to see if he thinks I could have done any damage to the graft (I'm assuming I would see some signs if I did something - and I don't - all looks and feels the same).

I went out to grab a coffee this morning and noticed by the 10 minute mark in my car the area around my Achilles tendon started to ache quite a bit again. I then went to the dentist later in the day and finally realized that I wasn’t fixing the back of my sneaker (it was kind of folding down and pressing into my Achilles tendon) and after adjusting this I was much more comfortable driving (even at 15 minutes I only had a very slight ache – a fraction of what I was feeling).

Today was also my day to do some lifting so I went through the 3 basic exercises I feel comfortable doing on my home gym (incline bench, lat pull downs and biceps) – I am starting to feel like I am getting some of my upper body strength back. Once my knee feels more stable I will add some shoulder press (I need to shift the incline bench to a different position to do this and it is probably more than my leg can handle right now).

For the bulk of the day I did not use my crutches except for going to the dentist (I used two crutches because I was rushing a little and didn’t want to take the chance of losing my balance by rushing with one crutch or no crutches). I also didn’t wear my brace today. Walking without crutches is noticeably easier today - although I still go very slow.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:02:07 AM by Rob_W »
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 23
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 12:17:57 AM »
Day 23 – 8/9/07:

I slept well last night. I woke up a few times and each time fell asleep easily on my right side. I also read in bed before sleeping lying on my left side, without a pillow, and it felt comfortable.

I went to PT today and after some e-stim & heat and heel slides I did 7 minutes on the stationary bike averaging 30 Rpm’s (I first talked to my PT about the scare I had yesterday with my home stationary bike seat sliding forward and giving me a serious jolt of pain – he said the knee looked great and was pretty certain I did no damage). He told me at this point I can start pedaling a lot faster so I am working less on my ROM (which is fine) and starting to burn the quads more. After this I did about 50 to 60 reps of leg presses with 30 pounds (I use both feet and sometimes I do most of the work with my good leg, and sometimes I shift a lot of work to the injured leg). I then did the 3 basic versions of SLR’s and then worked on 2 new exercises which I will also be doing at home:

New Exercise #1 – Terminal Knee Extensions. Anchor a band to something stationary in front of you and then around your leg so that it anchors to you at the height of your knee, just behind your knee. Now back up until it is taught. Next bend the injured knee forward without moving the foot and then straighten the leg back to 0 degrees extension. I did 2 sets of 15 of this and by the end of the last set my knee was feeling pretty worked (had some pain with this but it seemed OK). I was told the weight distribution should be about 95% of my weight on my uninjured and 5% on my injured leg.

New Exercise #2 – Balance Exercise. For this next exercise I stand just on my injured leg with the knee at 0 degrees extension (or close to it). I stay balanced on this leg for 30 seconds. The first 10 seconds my good leg is extended straight out in front of me, then straight to the side for 10 seconds, and finally straight behind me for 10 seconds (for all of these the good foot is about 1 foot off the floor). That would be 1 set and I do 5 sets total. This was much easier than I thought – I was able to keep my balance and my leg felt strong throughout (maybe 23 years of martial arts has made a difference).

Before I left my PT told me at this point I should not be using the crutches at all – I brought one with me because I have to walk down a wheel chair ramp to get in and wasn’t sure if I was ready for that – but other than that, the only time over the past few days I have used them is when I am at a store, and this is more to keep people away from me (I use 1 crutch and barely let it touch the ground).

I was also told I could start working on walking up steps the normal way – I told them I tried doing 1 yesterday and it felt fine so they said keep trying if it is feeling comfortable.

Later in the day I did my 2nd set of PT exercises and took it a little easier, and also did the 2 new exercises.

I did a fair amount of walking today without my crutches and have really been working on my gait. When I really relax my knee I sometimes feel a very slight  shift in the knee (as it starts to move more naturally) and this causes me to involuntarily tighten up the knee and walk a little more stiff legged – this is going to take some more practice.

Today I had a few firsts:

1. This was the first day I started using my desktop computer sitting in a regular chair (up until this point I had only used my laptop lying on my couch).
2. Today was the first day I sat at my kitchen table and did some studying for any length of period (up until this point I have been doing it on my couch).
3. This was the first time I did the new balance drill at PT (and home) so it was the first time I stood for more than 5 seconds on just the bad leg.
4. After PT my leg felt so good that it was the first time I started driving normally – which means my right foot doing both the gas and brake.
5. Today was the first day I went up 2 separate flights of steps un-assisted (not using the railing to pull me up).
6. Got dressed standing up (now that I feel more confident standing for longer periods on my injured leg).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:43:11 PM by Rob_W »
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 24
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
Day 24 – 8/10/07:

I slept Ok last night, I however went to bed pretty late so didn’t get a lot of sleep. When I woke up my calf was pretty sore (from all the balance exercises yesterday) so today I am definitely going to take it easy.

I did my home PT routine twice today (the usual) and skipped the biking today.

I had a few more firsts today:

1. I went to my office for a while this morning – felt pretty comfortable sitting in my office chair for 30 minutes straight (then needed to get up and walk for a bit).
2. When leaving my office I walked down the back steps (the shorter than average steps) and I was on my phone – for some reason I took the very last step down the normal way (not paying attention) and surprisingly it did feel too bad (a little stretch in the quads just above my knee) – I think it helped that I didn’t realize I did it until I was already just about done with it.
3. I taught my first martial arts class today (coached everyone from the sidelines) – felt really good to be back.
4. Watched a 90 minute movie sitting on my couch (with my feet on the floor).

So I took it easy on my exercises today but I was up and around way more than I normally am (on my feet for hours more than I normally would be in a day). My leg feels pretty good and my gait is very slowly improving.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 12:43:59 PM by Rob_W »
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 25
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 02:37:05 AM »
Day 25 – 8/11/07:

I slept well last night – about 8 hours without waking up. My calf is still sore from the first day I did the balancing exercises (like lifting for the 1st time when I can be sore for 2 or 3 days).

I did my home PT routine and rode my stationary bike for 8 minutes (I used my rower for 3 minutes before hand to loosen up my knee). I rode faster today so did 1.6 miles and kept my RPM’s between 50 and 60. The first 2 to 2.5 minutes were uncomfortable but as my knee loosened up it became easier, and by the end my quads were getting tired and getting some slight pains in the knee (my heel slides also went further after this - got my heel at least to my opposite knee, and maybe a little past that)

I made sure I walked up my stairs twice today leading with the injured leg (I have no pain when I do this but look pretty funny doing it). I do touch the railing for balance but not to help me up – I also tried walking up the stairs right after biking but this was painful (and I remember getting the exact same feeling pre-surgery when I first started doing stairs -always tougher right after I did my bike).

I went for a 10 minute walk today and really worked on walking with a normal gait. I am finding when I walk correctly, I get this little shifting feeling in my knee at the end of the stride just as my injured leg is behind me and kicking up off the ground (I can’t figure out if it feels like a mini-dislocate, or just a muscle that is being pulled and then suddenly popping back into place – it’s not painful but feels odd – I am wondering if this is the clicking a lot of people talk about – although I don’t hear anything).

Did my 2nd set of PT – the terminal extensions are still painful, but each time they become a little less painful.

I spent a lot of time on my feet either standing or walking around today, and also another 1 to 2 hours sitting normally in a chair (I can do this a little longer each time).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 05:39:29 PM by Rob_W »
ACL Exercise Journal

Offline Rob_W

• Forum Faithful
Robs Allograft Diary - ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus - Day 26
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 01:57:37 AM »
Day 26 – 8/12/07:

I slept good last night and will stop updating my sleep since I am back to sleeping normal and I can sleep on either side without a pillow between my knees.

PT was business as usual and after warming up my knee for 3 minutes on my rower I did 10 minutes on my stationary bike (2.1 miles and got the RPM’s as high as 66  - the first 3 minutes is still about loosening my knee and by 5 minutes it feels very loose). I also did my lifting routine today still limiting it to 3 basic exercises for chest, back and biceps – hopefully I will add shoulders soon.

I did another 10 minute walk today and focused on my gait – I did notice a lot less little shifting feeling in my knee that I felt yesterday, but I also might have been protecting it a little more than usual.

My last 2 steri strips came off today. These were the ones that covered my longest incision on the inside of my shin just below the knee. For some reason I thought it would be longer – it’s less than an inch long.
ACL Exercise Journal