Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What've I dont this time?!?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
What've I dont this time?!?
« on: August 04, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »
Okay...so the past few days like maybe starting wednesday, ive been having pain around the joint near the back outside part of my knee. I dont remember any sginificant injury to my knee. And this is also my good knee. But i am in the marching band and have been doing that for 2 weeks and there are some pretty quick pivoting direction changes. And i do remember my knees popping and clicking but i didnt really pay any attention to that cause im used to it. But starting yesterday night it got real bad. Increased pain and tenderness around the jointline. If i fully straighten it i get a click in the back outside portion of the knee. And if i bend it to a certain point i get very sharp pain also in the back outside portion of the knee. Also it doesnt look swollen but it REALLY REALLY feels swollen and stiff. If i feel it in comparison to my bad already swollen knee it does feel a bt bigger. I have made an appt with my OS but cant get in to see im till august 21st.
What should i do?!? Should i make an appt with my GP because i could prolly get in to see him within a few days. What could this be?!? Did i tear something like cartilage or a ligament?!?
Please help if you can.
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: What've I dont this time?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:20:48 PM »
Chelsea, as I have told you so many times before..you have probably done too much. RICE and I am sure that will make the knee better.
I know how much you like this with the marching band, but with all problems you have maybe you need consider if you can go on like this.
I know you will probably get mad at me. If you might remember I have told you that I had given up many things that I lived for cause of my knees.
That's sad and no fun..but we need our knees for the rest of our lives. And another thing you might need to think of is stick to one thread..that will be easier for everyone to follow and also we know what's behind everything and you don't have to explain everything from beginning. Please don't get mad..only want to help you.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:22:32 PM by Nettan »
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »
Its okay Nettan im not mad....i know you have my best intrests in mind  ;D . I have a gut feeling that its not just overuse though. Cause my left knee has hurt but mostly around the kneecap and never this much pain. The only problems ive ever had with my left knee was just patellar subluxtions. This is defferent and nowhere near the kneecap. Ive never had these symptoms before. Its like i cant straighten my knee fully.
Thanks for your concern and advice im honestly not mad. But i will wait and see what the doctor says i guess and then i will make my descision about band. But unless he forces me to quit or i can see no other way i really cant see quitting.
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 04:53:23 PM »
Chelsea,
This sounds like a lateral meniscus tear to me. All the symptoms seem to match up. If it is, then there isn't much your GP could do about it, except send you for an MRI. That might be a good idea. In the meantime, be very, very careful with those sharp pivoting movements, because you can easily make it worse. RICE as much as you can. Do you have a brace for that knee? If not, I'd stop at the drugstore and get one of those neoprene ones with the patellar cutout. That would help protect the knee a little.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
Do you have to have a referrel for an MRI?!? Or can you just walk in and get one?!? No i dont have a brace for this knee. But i do have 2 for my other one. One has metal hinged stabilizers on the side and the other is just an ACe wrap with the patellar cutout ut it never really helped with anything. Which one would work better?!?
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »
Chelsea,
I'm pretty sure you have to have someone refer you for the MRI. I don't know if your GP can do it or if you have to have the OS. As for the brace, I don't think either of those is what you need. I'd go look for one of the ones described as a sports wrap. It's a black neoprene sleeve with a patellar cutout and is a lot more substantial than an ace wrap. It isn't going to get rid of the pain completely, but I got some relief wearing it and it may help keep you from twisting the knee more than you should. If you can't get one of those, I'd go with your ace wrap I think.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 05:42:39 PM »
Okay....guess ill just have to wait till the 21st and see what the OS says and go from there. Youve had a lateral meniscus tear havent you?!? Did you have a repair or removal. What do you think they will do if its a tear?!? Will i have to have another surgery?!?
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 06:01:10 PM »
If it is a tear, the treatment will depend on where it's located. If it's in the outer area where the meniscus has a blood supply and it's fairly small, there's a chance it will heal on its own. For that to happen, though, you have to rest the leg completely, which unfortunately for you, would probably mean not doing band or sports for at least six months. A large tear in that outer area could be repaired surgically, but that's a long recovery too, involving crutches and being NWB for a few months. Again you'd be out of commission for a long time. A tear in the avascular region would not heal on its own and would have to be surgically debrided. Of the 3 choices, this one would get you on your feet the fastest, but you do end up losing part of the meniscus and it still means several months of no sports. All the meniscus tears I've had have had to be debrided, including the lateral one.
Don't get panicky about this just yet, though, OK, hon? You don't know for sure that that's what's wrong and there's no use worrying about it til you do. I hope I haven't scared you. Just try to take it as easy as you can.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »
Okay thanks for the info. As of right now though th only thing that has me scared is just quitting band. We have a great oppurtunity this year and i really think we can make 1st in state and i wanna be a part of it. Thank you for your help.
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 06:22:34 PM »
You're welcome, sweetie. Keep in mind, too, that there are other ways to be involved in band besides marching in it. If you do have to back out, maybe you could talk to the band director about some kind of sidelines support job. I'm sure he could find something for you to do.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 06:30:04 PM »
I know...its just not the same though. I wouldnt feel like part of the group as much :P . I know that sounds stupid but id feel like i was taking the easy way out or somethin.
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »
I understand how you feel, but it's not taking the easy way out. It's making the mature, sensible decision that will give you the best shot at having healthy knees for the rest of your life. You know that already and I know you'll make the right decision.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 09:06:45 PM »
Thanks Terre  :P . But ill prolly just be careful and continue until im told otherwise.
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

support