Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: So.. yipes... I had surgery  (Read 948 times)

Offline lisal11

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
So.. yipes... I had surgery
« on: August 02, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »
I posted a little while ago on this board. I had a knee injury which my general practitioner blew off and said go to a PT because no tears showed up on an MRI. Well, as suggested here, I went for a second opinion with an OS. The OS moved my patella around and found that it kept "catching" on something in my knee. He decided to do an arthroscopy suspecting that I might have just pulled up a little cartlidge when I injured the knee. So he would go in, shave it down and I would be on my way... simple right? Wrong...

I got out of surgery to find out he did more than that. He showed me the pictures of the inside of my knee and highlighted where I had cracked my cartilidge which he cleaned up. He also noted that when he was in there, my patella was "tilted". So, he trimmed what appeared to be a thickened (from the injury?) petello femoral ligament to move the patella into a better place. He said he "released" the patella because there was a lot of tension holding it in that tilted position. He said the movement was only millimeters and it was likely that my other patella is the same way. He said I shouldn't need surgery on the other knee (to match the fixed knee) though because the difference was only millimeters.

So, I was kinda surprised to find out this extra thing had occured while I was under. Is this a big deal? I just want to know if getting that ligament "loosened" could run into complications later.

Thanks

Offline rainerng

• Regular Poster
Re: So.. yipes... I had surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:00:59 AM »
Sounds like he did a lateral release?
Ballroom Dancer
Jan 07 Fissure in Patella while dancing (prob due to VMO weakness)
Feb - May 07 PT
Jun 07 Injury got worse and given synvisc
1st Aug 07 Debridement surgery
8th Aug 07 PT with isometric knee exercises
13th Sept 07 PT with PRE's

Offline lisal11

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 07:22:36 PM »
I'm guessing that is what he did, though he didn't call it that. He said he fixed the "tilt" in my patella which I belive is what a lateral release does.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
Hi Lisal,
this does sound like a lateral release. I just had it done on my left knee two weeks ago for the same reason. It's a fairly common surgery for patellar tilt and can be very effective in correcting it, especially for people like you and me, whose alignment is only off by a small amount. This is what it involves:
The patella is held in place by the lateral retinaculum on the outer side of the leg and by the VMO tendon on the inner side. The pull from each of these needs to be equal for the kneecap to sit correctly in its groove. In a lot of people, the LR tends to be stronger and tighter, so it pulls harder on the patella, resulting in patellar tilt. In a lateral retinacular release, the OS makes a shallow cut in the top layer of the tendon. This releases the tension on it and allows the VMO to pull the kneecap into its proper position. The hope is that the cut surface will fill in with scar tissue and the two tendons will be more balanced. For this to happen, however, you have to be diligent about following your post-op PT protocol, which should involve exercises to strengthen the VMO and maintain flexibility during the healing process.
There's a good tutorial about the procedure on the kneeguru's home page if you want to read more about it. Hope this was helpful. Any time you want to compare notes, just let me know.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

support