Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 8 month knee pain  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Williams477

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
8 month knee pain
« on: July 08, 2003, 06:57:39 AM »
 Hi, i posted a topic on these forums a month or so ago about my knee pain. Here's a quick wrong through of what i posted. I've been playing soccer for about 5 or 6 years and the previous year i injuried my knee so i went to a orthopedic, he told me to wear a brace and it would clear up in 6 months, well it never did. This was all back in october-november of 2003. Now its july.  In my last post i said that i was going back to the orthopedic on the 23rd of June. Well i didn't go because my mother(i'm 14 so i can't drive myselve) had computer problems at work and i understood that and she had made me another oppotment for Wednesday the 25th, well that morning her alarm clock "didnt go off" so i didn't get to go then.  So she said she would make a opptment the following day and she never did. Well she kept on telling me that she would make the opptment while she is at work, and she never did and she told me she left a message with the doc to call her back. Well that never happened, on July 1st she said get the phone book out and i'll call the orthopedic, well i got the phone book out and when she got the number for the doc. it was 5:15 Pm and they closed at 5:30 Pm. She sat there for 15 minutes with the phone in her hand and the phone book open doing nothing and  i asked her if she called at around 5:45 and she said it was to late now, but she had the number for 15 minute and sat there and did nothing. I guess my queston to everyone is how do i get her to make me a opptment, she doesn't understand how much pain i'm in, and i'm worried that it might be something that requires surgery and the i wouldn't be able to play in the next soccer season begining in August 2003. What do i do?

Stacey

Re: 8 month knee pain
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 07:02:21 AM »
Call the office yourself.  Its your knee and if you cant get your mom to call then call yourself or sit down and watch her call.  Explain to her what this means to you.  Can you get your dad or other family member to help you out?

Stacey

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 07:20:07 AM »
I agree with Stacey, take the initiative and call youself, make an appt that you can attend even if your mother can't, can yu get public transport to the OS's office?.

I'd also ask your mom why she hasn't made an appt, it could b that she doesn't realise the problem still exists, above all your mom wants to do everything by the book for you and I'm sure she would have no qualms about you making the appt.

Best Regards
Iona

Offline Williams477

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2003, 07:38:07 AM »
 I would do it myself but south carolina state law requires a adult when under the age of 18 and what would i do when i get there and they want insureace information? And as for my dad, dont make me laugh, he is the laziest person in the world.

Well i talked to my mother tonight and told her when she gets home from work tomorrow the phone book will be open and the phone will be on top of it and i will watch her make the call. I said that once the opptment(sorry suck at spelling) was made i would wait up all night long until it was time to go to make sure i went.

If that doesn't work, i have a friend next door whos mother is dating the physical theapist guy at the high school and i'll go over to them.

thanks for the support

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2003, 12:37:44 PM »
Hi there, sorry to hear you are having problems getting an appt. If you have had an appt before with the orthapaedic dr - they should still have all your details, so perhaps you would be able to phone them and make the appointment yourself?
If not, and your mother does need to do it - how about doing something for her in return? Hand her the phone and say 'Could you can phone the Dr now, and I'll go ahead and make dinner' (or wash up/ do some cleaning / make her a cup of coffee) - if it doesnt cause you a lot of knee pain to do this of course.

Unfortunately, it is the experience of many people with knee pain, that even those close to you do not understand how it effects you. Try and have another talk with your mother, or someone else in your family. They probably just dont realise how you are feeling.
Good luck
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 05:18:48 AM »
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear about this--and since you had an appointment , it doesn't make a lot of sense to me right now but...

Is there a reason that your mom is avoiding this?  Is she scared for what you might find out or could there be financial/ insurance issues that she is having trouble facing?  Have you asked her this in a kind but direct way?  

As a mom, it was hard for me when one of my kids had knee troubles and I called right away, being scared out of myu mind that he was going to be like me--and I worried myself crazy.  Could something like this be going on--your mom relating it to a personal experience?

Knowing why things  are happening this way might help you a bit--but getting into the doc is the most important thing for you.  Let us know how your plan workds out.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Williams477

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 11:17:52 AM »
 Well she mad another appt. for August 1st at 10:30 Am.

Well when she was in school, she developed arthritus and had to repeat a year because of all the school she missed and that could be why she wont call.

I dont think fincial problems because her insurance covers just about all the expenses.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 09:33:33 PM »
Glad you got an appointment. Now....think of ways to make sure she'll keep it and go with you. You might want to start a few days before making sure to remind her and telling her how important it is to you that you go to this appointment. Ask her if she will promise to make it a priority that day. And remember to thank her!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Williams477

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 10:31:04 PM »
 I finally went yesterday, they came to the conslusion that it was Patella Tracking Disorder, he put me in Physical Theapy and gave me a NSAID(sp?) called Anaprox for pain, but i'm worried about taking it because it has serious but rare side effects such as heart failure, seziure, and stomach ulcers.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 01:54:08 AM »
Most medicines have potential side-effects. If you let the fear of side-effects rule your life, you are going to pass up some medicines that make your life better, and maybe even some that can save your life as you get older. Don't dwell on the side-effects. Take the medicine as prescribed and be sure to keep your follow-up appointments with the doctor. He/she can monitor any possible complications.

Good luck in physical therapy, and I'm glad you got some answers.

LizL :)
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 03:32:33 AM »
Hi!

With the legal and medical worlds in the constant courtroom battles they are in, it is necessary and important that medicines list any possible problems.  A doc will do the same before a procedure or surgery as well.  It is up to the patient to consider it and know the risks.

NSAIDs are important medicines--an d for someone like you taking it probably short term, I think the benefits will outweigh the risks a lot.  The real deal is to get you better--because I'm guessing there are more soccer fields in your future.

I hope the pt and the meds are the magic combination for you and that you are doing well soon.  Good luck, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio