Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondral shell allograft - need info  (Read 2067 times)

Offline laura_utah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osteochondral shell allograft - need info
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm wondering what experience and info anyone has on osteochondral shell grafting.  From what little I have been able to gather, this technique is capable of repairing huge, and, most importantly, non-circumcribed defects.  I've got a retropatellar defect which is on the outside edge of the medial facet and, therefore, does not have a perfect rim of intact hyaline cartilage around  it.  Beyond this defect, the remainder of my patella is fine.  My local OS has said that edge defects are totally unrepairable since they don't have a 360-degree rim being on the edge (duh!).  A TKR or PKR is are my only options outside of pain pills.  On the other hand, he's not exactly an expert in the latest chondral repair techniques, let alone something as wild as shell-grafting.

I'll be making arrangements for a trip to see William Bugbee in La Jolla next month just to get info as well as an exam, but, I would like to go into the appointment with as much knowledge as possible.

If shell grafting can repair edge-defects, then it has the potential to massively expand the indications for biological chondarl repairs since a circumscribed, "focal" defect is currently a requirement for every biological chondral repair technique  - including the new ones like MACI.

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Laura