Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS procedure 6/25, what to expect  (Read 4343 times)

Offline 20mOATS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OATS procedure 6/25, what to expect
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:17:01 AM »
Hi and welcome to all, I recently had my first knee surgery.  It was the OATS procedure on my Left knee.  Now you will have to excuse me but I dont know all the specfic terms and details about my surgery. (I know I should)

My procedure completed was on my Posterior femoral condyle.  They took the grafts from a seperate section of my knee. And placed them there total Size was 30x10 mm.
My questions are I am very worried about my career I am a paid firemen and I have been doing research and really freaking myself out with some of the horror stories in my eyes I am reading about with the OATS.

My Doctor/Surgeon has been re-assuring me that I should be able to return to full duty in 4-6 months, is this realistic?

He seems totally confident with a full recovery and me being able to return to work.  I am worrying myself sick however, part in half is I dont think I went in to this with the best mind set I am 20 years old and had expected to be back on my feet after a week and on the up hill.  However after a week I still have very very little range of motion, still have considerable swelling and a fair amount of pain.  Is this all typical with this procedure?

What should I expect in the weeks and months to come?

And can you all please help put some of my fears to rest that my OATS procedure wasnt as serious as some of the other OATS procedures and one and more of a routine ones? I am really looking for some hope and coming to this board and the OATS section I have only worsened my fears of never getting my normal life back.

Offline hokiesean24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: OATS procedure 6/25, what to expect
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »
I am looking for much of the same information, I have mine 2 weeks from today and am really freaking out about it a little bit.  Please, keep me/us posted about your progress.  I am desperately hoping I will be well enough after 2-weeks to go to a football game, even if its on crutches or worst case scenario, in a wheelchair.  Goodluck on your recovery and thanks for being a firefighter!  My brother has been a volunteer for years, and I have all the respect in the world!  Could you tell me a little about you your rehab regiment?  What are you doing now and what have they told you that you will be doing in the coming weeks/months?  I keep reading about people being on CPM machines for 2-6 hours a day, are you doing this or expecting to?  Do you rent/buy a take home unit or is it all at a PT facility?  Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Offline hokiesean24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 07:07:27 PM »
Any Updates for us?? 

Hope the rehab is going well!!!

Offline socrdork

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 04:45:52 AM »
I'm a Police Officer and stressing out big time.  I'm 4 weeks post op and very swollen.  I can bend my knee to 90 degrees but thats it!  I was told not to go over 90 until next week.  I really hope I can get ack to work within 6 months or I loose my job.

Offline 20mOATS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 01:53:27 PM »
That sucks , losing your job if you cant come back in six months and kinda crazy they would do that.  Did it happen on the job?

Mine was on the job and I am 100% covered so I am very happy I dont have those stress's like you.

To give you some hope though, I was NWB for 8 weeks and got off those damn crutches 3 weeks or so ago.  The first few days suck trying to learn how to walk again.  But after two weeks I was back to a normal life, in a essence.  I can walk to take a piss, walk to let the dog out, I am able to work out, no running or walking, or squating, but I can lift wieghts with my upper body again.  The doctor is being super careful saying keep off it as much as possible and all and becareful of funny movements so I am doing what he says.  I havent had pain in the site really, some days its sore but I feel better now than before the surgery.  JUST DONT STRESS, after the surgery I thought my career was over but now man I am counting the days down until the next visit with my Doctor and thinking of ways to make him clear me to be allowed to go back to work.  This article helped alot to.  I know I am not a NFL football player but if 96% of them can come back to playing there is no doubt I can fire fight again and that you can be a cop.

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0749806305009187

I imagine it may be hard for you to get the doc to clear you though.  My doc said I could be on my leg for a hour at a time so i was ready to go back to work. But the county doctor said I could be on it a hour for the whole day..  Therefore I still cant work.. hopefully the docs dont dick you ecspecially the one the department uses to cover there ass.

Send me a message if you want man.  Also my knee was still a swollen mess at 8 weeks but once you start walking my swelling went away for the most part, The ROM is only 3 degrees less on my surgery knee compared to the other one as well 4 weeks is still early it gets better MUCH BETTER and it happens really quick.  DO NOT GET DOWN ON THE STUFF YOU READ ON THIS SITE, stay positive this surgery isnt that bad I feel better now than before the surgery the crutches sucks and the fear of the unknown sucks but its not that bad
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 03:41:22 PM by 20mOATS »

Offline socrdork

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 10:50:43 PM »
I am going to be 7 weeks post op thurs and I no longer need crutches.  I can walk short distances.  Two of the three spots look healed..the one is on it's way.  I can now bend to about 120..so I'm getting there.  I don't think I will have a problem getting my doc to sign me off.  It's not been two months and I can already walk and am FWB.

Thanks

Offline 20mOATS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 02:24:51 PM »
Just met with the doctor yesterday and removed all my restrictions so now I can really PT.  He has me limited to baring no wieght with my knee bent. and had me not able to squat or really any leg work outs.  So now hes cleared me for everything. And said that i can go back to work dec 4th.  I am just hoping the county Doc doesnt try and screw me.  So now I am back to working out like a mad man to get my strength and endurance back for work.  I ran a mile and a half yesterday NO PAIN at all and today it feels 100%, (i mean i thought it would be sore but its not at all feels great) its really just crazy that in just 14 weeks i went from not being able to walk really, to back to running with no pain and well being to squat just not alot of wieght ha, but that comes with time.

DONT stress man 6 months is a long time you will be just fine

Offline hammo567

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »
I to am getting ready to go in for OATS on the 13th of Feb.  My defect is on the medial side.  Good luck with the recovery.
Micro fracture and Medial Plica removal: 6/14/2005                    4cm long x 1 cm wide medial femoral condole lesion and small articular lesion of the femoral notch region.  OATS procedure performed on 2/13/o8 on right knee. Pain back talking to surgeons 4/1/11 about allograft to fill in defect.

support