Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Giving up  (Read 825 times)

Offline Miki422

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Giving up
« on: August 02, 2007, 03:12:21 AM »
I am new to this and I am hoping that I can find someone out there that can give me a bit of information or just let me know that I am not the only one that is going through.  I had an ACL reconst. with hamstring done on March 20 - never got anywhere near full range of motion.  May 24 had an orthroscopic and manipulation done to "pop" some adheasions.  Range of motion was a bit better but have progressivly gotten worse as the weeks go by.  I was told yesterday that I would possibly have to go in for more surgery if the anti inflam med didn't work.  Is there hope?  Is there someone out there that has had the same problem as me.  I am giving up on the idea of ever walking like a normal human being again.  Please, any suggestions or support would be greatly appreciated.

trainwreck

Re: Giving up
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 05:23:32 AM »
I have not had the same problems you have but regardless there is always hope.  I was at a point where I limped so badly I looked like a freak.  I am still limping from my last surgery but it is getting better.  I do plan on walking lilke a normal woman again and soon.
There is always hope.  You have to hang onto that and have strength.  Even if you always limped there are a lot worse things that could happen.  Yes, having surgery again would suck but it isn't the end of the world.  try to keep you eye on the goal and not get caught up in what is happening right now.  I hope somone responds to your post who has had a similar experience to yours.  I hope you find the light at the end soon.  It is there you just can't give up.
It is hard to be in the spot you are right now but somhow it always gets better.
Stay strong
Trainwreck

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 06:17:43 AM »
Hello Miki422,

The problem you're having with limited ROM, 'popping' adhesions, doing well for a few weeks then getting worse again are all characteristics of a condition called arthrofibrosis-- a condition where the body has an exagerated repsonse to trauma and produces way too much scar tissue (adhesions).

The most important thing you can do right now is to learn everything you can about it. There is lots of info on KNEEguru's main website. Here are some links to get you started:

Dr. Noyes’ arthrofibrosis tutorial and Dirk Kokmeyer’s rehab tutorial

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtutor/doku.php

Dr. Millett’s article

http://www.casebook.kneeguru.co.uk/index.php/knee/issues/arthrofibrosis_of_the_knee/

KneeGuru’s literature review (look under problems with healing)

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/insights/doku.php

Take care,

Jaci

10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline Miki422

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 02:23:49 PM »
Trainwreck:

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement - it is refreshing to know that someone else out there can relate.  Let's hope that the meds work for me and I won't have to have more surgery.  My knee already looks like it has be sliced and diced!! :-*  Again, thank you.

Miki422

Offline Miki422

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 02:26:44 PM »
Jaci:

Wow - thanks for all the information.  I will make sure to get the most out of what you sent me.  Have you been through this yourself?  I look forward to hopefully finding something to give me more hope.  Take care.

Miki422

Offline cudos

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 03:31:21 PM »
Miki422, I too am struggling to walk without looking like 1 leg is 2 inches shorter than the other. My surgery was only 2 months ago but I am fighting the scar tissue battle as well. I can stretch the hell (flexion and extension) out of my knee, all day, everyday only to think that I making gains and then 5 minutes later after resting it all seems to regress right back to where I Started.

I may be making miniscule gains, it that its just so hard to notice, hence depressing. There are days I feel like saying to hell with it, whats the point. But I am NOT going to walk like this forever, so ya can't give up.

This forum is great for information. Also Jaci who I see has already posted is a great contributor here as well, not to mention a wealth of information to boot!

Good Luck